Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2019, 01:01 PM

Default Tascam DP-01FX (and my Intro)

Hi and thanks for this great forum dedicated to audio (audience).. I've been playing music for 25 years, starting with drums. 7 years after, I bought an analogue system (wish I could remember what kind) which I quickly had to sell, since I moved out.

After four years, I decided I'd buy the Tascam (with built-in CD burner), electric guitar, acoustic guitar, bass guitar, keyboards (had a piano for a while), and a ton of percussion, including some instruments I made myself... This way I could write instrumentals myself, while I'd play drums all over the world - Europe, Australia, Asia (and North America, where I'm from).. Sometimes with a band, sometimes I'd busk for enough money for a hostel accommodation.

I still use the same Tascam.. I have a few mics, but the only one I use is the condenser for drums and other acoustics, while inserting the electric guitars direct. I'm only one person anyway, so the 2-simultanous is fine (I usually use one).

The buttons are becoming almost near impossible to push, and I have to set these points (IN, OUT, etc) just to make it easier. I've never had to use a computer, but I'm wondering what else I can add. The one difficult thing is I write the initial song via acoustic or keyboard/piano, but I record the drums first, and it can be difficult thinking of where I am in the song, keeping the rhythm, but also wanting to make the drums sound interesting, since its my strong point. I get the best sound keeping the mic about a foot above the ground, and about 5 feet away, but have tried many different methods, and come to like the sound of an unfinished basement (or concrete in general) much better than a standard bedroom with carpet.

Although I was born in the 80s, 99% of what I listen to and love was made before I was born; 60s/70s with a small amount of jazz, folk, and classical from before. I also love film and stand-up comedy... Some of my favorite bands are Pink Floyd, Supertramp, The Doors, but I listen to music from as many countries as I can, and always sample every decade, and like to make contrasts not only to the song/album, but the production as well.

If anyone has any ideas, suggestions, or know of programs that might work well for someone who does my thing, I'd appreciate it, and I appreciate this forum. Thanks for welcoming me!
Old 02-27-2019, 05:01 AM

Default Re: Tascam DP-01FX (and my Intro)

Drum mic'ing can be as complex or easy as you want to make it. There's a variety of ways to do the job and Google will turn up more than enough. There's even been books written about it. For simple and effective there's the Glyn Johns 3 mic technique.

Even if you have perfect timing (not many do) I'd suggest making friends with a click track.

If you record instruments direct and not via microphones you're going to have a difficult time matching the sound of your recording space. Having a treated neutral room will help but if you're recording via a mic then that's not necessary.

Being you're new to computer recording I'd suggest getting a good book or two on the subject. I don't know if it's still available but there was a PT101 courseware book that took novices on a beginning journey. Also be prepared to do a LOT of work getting a working system together (computer, software, interfaces, etc.). You may want to pay attention to the compatibility chart here: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...tibility-Chart
Something also is to optimize your computer for working with PT - there are guides out there and I think there might be something on that on the Avid site. If you're working on a Windows machine do NOT use the interface you're using for PT to run system sounds - the computer will grab the interface and not let it go for PT usage.

Lastly for now - welcome to the community. If you're willing to do the work then we're willing to help.

QAPLA!
Old 03-05-2019, 03:24 PM

Hi and thanks for the reply and welcome... I have never used a click-track. I think if I needed one I shouldn't be playing drums in the first place!

If I were to spend any money though, it would be on some new cheap instruments just to add a new sound.
Old 03-05-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supertramp View Post
Hi and thanks for the reply and welcome... I have never used a click-track. I think if I needed one I shouldn't be playing drums in the first place!

If I were to spend any money though, it would be on some new cheap instruments just to add a new sound.
That's wrong thinking. about a click track. They're pretty much staples in even big studios with seasoned session musicians. About the only drummer I know of that doesn't use a click track is Gene Hoagland; not sure about Neil Peart.

QAPLA!
Old 03-05-2019, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
About the only drummer I know of that doesn't use a click track is Gene Hoagland; not sure about Neil Peart.
And Steward Copeland who says it Fuchs up his rythm!

Quote from Copeland

”There's a syndrome of playing to a click track, and it's something I can hear instantly if somebody is doing that: You do a fill, and you speed up just a hair, and then you hesitate just a second because you're waiting to hear that click catch up to you. I can hear that. Even in my own playing, when I'm playing to a click, I hear it - it drives me nuts. I go through all kind of Pro Tools hassles to cure those parts."

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————