Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2015, 04:32 PM

Default Presonus StudioLive and Real Time Plugins

Hey, everyone. I really apologize to ask dumb questions, but I need help.

I run PT 11 on a mid 2012 macbook pro with a Presonus StudioLive 24 channel mixer for live sound. I like to use dessers and some other Pro Tools plugins live during the show. I do this while recording about 15 tracks, and sending the signal through the board into Protools and back into board via firewire.

This has been working for a few months, but today I experienced two CPU overload errors within minutes of each other. I stopped recording and just relied on the plugins to process the audio and finished the set.

I am looking into optimizing my computer with the guides posted on this site, and possibly increasing my H/W buffer from 256. I will also be using an external 7500x firewire drive in the future.

I am a beginner and need help with live sound stability while recording! Any advice would help, please!
Old 02-22-2015, 04:40 PM

Default Re: Presonus StudioLive and Real Time Plugins

Personally I think Pro Tools is a poor choice for this.

You though about hardware/processing boxes for the performers having issues? Different mics? Training/practice? Tried playing with a compressor and filter on the track in the StudioLive?
Old 02-22-2015, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Personally I think Pro Tools is a poor choice for this.

You though about hardware/processing boxes for the performers having issues? Different mics? Training/practice? Tried playing with a compressor and filter on the track in the StudioLive?
I have used the compressors and EQ on the StudioLive, but deessing and taming some harsh vocalists (using key frequency side chained compressors in Pro Tools) has given me the best results. I just need some automation for a few of my vocalists. As far as equipment goes, there is a tight budget, so no new mics/hardware. Thank you very much!

Ill add that I use the StudioLive mainly, just some deessing and automated keyed compression on some tracks (which I also record). So I'm utilizing the StudioLive's processing.

Also have some training, can always use more practice! When filtering out harshness on the board I would end up with a dark vocal, the automation works better for me.

You're right, though. It is a shortcoming of my own that I have to rely on my computer.

Last edited by 8strung; 02-22-2015 at 06:58 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:40 PM
Avid

few questions:
what is your CPU usage meter sitting at in PT?
do you have solid state drives in your record machine?
what error was it specifically (just CPU overload, or was it something else also)?