Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 07-18-2019, 10:03 AM

Default Avid S1 & S4

...have been announced. They fill clear and obvious holes in the control surface line-up. And it demonstrates continued commitment to EuCon.

Thoughts? Anyone have prices?
Old 07-18-2019, 10:12 AM

Default Re: Avid S1 & S4

My first dumb thought was are we finally getting eq curves on the Control App? (You know the thing that was shown on the Dock product pages for marketing at the beginning and never materialized. Hopefully marketing isn’t doing the same stupid thing again)

Also hope automation match indicators come to the Control app for those channel strips shown on the S1.

Part of me wonders if the S3 fits in now. Also like the new S4 MTM (looks better than the S6 with displaying the 7.1.2 panners in the main area.) Also the tilt up knob unit (which I saw Jeff do on the S6 but haven’t seen the means to do built-in for our S6s)

Interestingly, looks like the process units won’t be available for the S4 according to Westlake but all other modules will. Seems a strange oversight. I wonder if the S6 M10 config is dead now (and to some extent the S3).
Pro Tools Ult 2024.3, HDX 2, MTRX/SPQ, RME BBF Pro + MADIface Pro • S1 x 2, Fire HD10 + Max11, Dock, iPad Air5 • Mac Mini 14,12, 12 core, macOS 13.6.5 • RAM 32GB, SSD 4TB, GPU 19 core • QNAP TVS-872XT 148TB TB3

Last edited by BScout; 07-18-2019 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Never mind the “top screen for outputs” looks the same as S6 just wasn’t used to seeing the 7.1.2 panner)
Old 07-18-2019, 11:11 AM

According to PTE the S1 price will be comparable to the Artist Mix ($1k) and the S4 will be $25k-ish.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:19 AM

From a sound editor's POV my questions are:

Are there automation control buttons on the S1? (preview, write etc.) any other hotkeys? The dock eats up too much space for my taste.
In an ideal world I wish the elgato streamdeck could support Eucon or (vice versa?) plus 2 S1 and I'm set.

The size of the S1 is great, I hope it's possible to optionally remove the iPad holder if you prefer to have the ipad lying flat in front of it instead for easier access to soft-keys without stretching out your arm.

F.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:57 AM

Prices of the S4 was higher than I guessed ...

https://www.sweetwater.com/shop/new-...e-controllers/

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 07-18-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
From a sound editor's POV my questions are:

Are there automation control buttons on the S1? (preview, write etc.) any other hotkeys? The dock eats up too much space for my taste.
In an ideal world I wish the elgato streamdeck could support Eucon or (vice versa?) plus 2 S1 and I'm set.

The size of the S1 is great, I hope it's possible to optionally remove the iPad holder if you prefer to have the ipad lying flat in front of it instead for easier access to soft-keys without stretching out your arm.

F.
The Dock eats up too much space? Frank, we'll all chip-in here on the DUC to buy you a bigger desk.

I love the Dock because it's so small I can travel with it and set it up anywhere. A Dock and an S1 in a flight case would be a great combo.

But to your point, you can use PT|Control on an iPad w/o the Dock and the soft key section on the iPad would be very similar to the Elgato. There are a lot of little iPad stands for doing that.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:24 PM

How on earth can a “budget s6” cost more than a s6 m10-8-5?

For the cheaper s3 style faders 10-15k would have been a more sensible starting point.

Edit:

S4 8 fader: 24000
S6 8 fader: 22000

S4 16 fader: 38000
S6 16 fader: 41000

S4 24 fader: 53000
S6 24 fader: 57000

They are FAR too close together in price to be marketed for smaller studios, you’re better off spending more on the s6, because of the way better faders.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
The Dock eats up too much space? Frank, we'll all chip-in here on the DUC to buy you a bigger desk.

I love the Dock because it's so small I can travel with it and set it up anywhere. A Dock and an S1 in a flight case would be a great combo.

But to your point, you can use PT|Control on an iPad w/o the Dock and the soft key section on the iPad would be very similar to the Elgato. There are a lot of little iPad stands for doing that.
Yeah I know, I'm odd

I look all that unused "grey matter" on the dock and the massive jog wheel that I don't use and then at the streamdeck with 32 keys on endless levels and tactile feedback and it sits next to my keyboard at about half the size and cost of an iPad mini and say to myself: if it could only understand Eucon, there'd be room for even a third S1 with better ergononics.

Looking at the buttons of the S1 it seems like it's exactlly an Artist Mix with the buttons moved above the faders and slimmed down, which is great. There was a lot of unused space on the Mix and the Control. But for quick editing the hotkeys need to be close to where the hands are. A Streamdeck with Eucon would be killer, I could put 3 S1 where there used to be a Mix and a Control and still have as many hotkeys I want and I can place them where ever I want. Finder shortcuts, Keyboard Maestro custom macros and Eucon all on the same controller auto switching to your custom key maps when you switch to a different application.

F.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Mac View Post
How on earth can a “budget s6” cost more than a s6 m10-8-5?

For the cheaper s3 style faders 10-15k would have been a more sensible starting point.

Edit:

S4 8 fader: 24000
S6 8 fader: 22000

S4 16 fader: 38000
S6 16 fader: 41000

S4 24 fader: 53000
S6 24 fader: 57000

They are FAR too close together in price to be marketed for smaller studios, you’re better off spending more on the s6, because of the way better faders.
yeah... This initially peaked my interest but I picked up my 32 fader M40 on used market for 40 plus a support plan They've been on market long enough to find decent pricing if you really want an s6 over the s4. Maybe a new s6 is coming soon though that will make the s4 pricing make more sense.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHS View Post
yeah... This initially peaked my interest but I picked up my 32 fader M40 on used market for 40 plus a support plan They've been on market long enough to find decent pricing if you really want an s6 over the s4. Maybe a new s6 is coming soon though that will make the s4 pricing make more sense.
Yeah I get that. But it isn’t really fair to call the s4 a budget-conscious more affordable option. When what you are actually doing is making the cost of entry to s6 a lot more expensive, by killing off the m10.