Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 07-10-2019, 09:00 AM

Default Re: User stamp vs Timecode stamp... WHAT?

There's also the chance the main ruler is set at hour:mins:secs vs timecode? I've had calls before where the stage accidentally has been on the wrong ruler so things don't match up. When I notice the period before the last number I realize they are on the wrong ruler as the reason.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
Yeah but the SSL has nothing to do with your session, no? Try to re-import the exact same file you exported into that same session that you exported from and see what happens. Also make sure you're not exporting with a different sample rate setting in the command-shift-k menu.
Just to rule out any odd settings on the AVID side or the other session you are importing into earlier.

If that file comes in fine it must be some odd setting on one of the other systems PT or AVID.

Just to find the cause step my step. Maybe it is in fact a bug.
Thanks Frank. When I reverted back to 2019.5 I did use the PT Prefs app to delete ALL preferences. Still didn't work.

We did just download Sound Devices WaveAgent app which allows us to edit the BEXT metadata. It's interesting that many of the mix files are randomly off... some are only 1-2 frames off and others as much as 3-4 minutes. Regardless, we can change the start time and re-save the files so our video editors can start working again.

This is only a quick-fix and I hope we find the real issue soon. I will keep posting what we find.

Thanks again for replying!!
Old 07-10-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
"07:00:30;00" means you're running drop frame? 30drop or 29.97drop? could be something there especially on the AVID side. Depending on the AVID project settings.
Yeah, everything we do is 29.97DF... always has been.

Re: the SSL, it sees the same timecode as the session... it's actually controlling the session via Deck Emulation and everything is ref'd to house 59.94. If code were incorrect in the session, the SSL would complain since it's set to look for 29.97DF.
Old 05-19-2020, 05:49 AM

hi eric,

i noticed your post while looking for a solution for a problem i first encountered a few days ago (also working like this for years…):

i bounce my mix (tv voice over stuff) and re-import the file back onto a new track, in case the producer would like something changed, or just to check loudness or whatever.
when i do have to make an edit, i then just use quick punch to record these changes onto the master track… so i don't have to bounce the whole session again.
after that, i consolidate the "old" mix and the little snippets for the changes to a new master file and export it.

nothing wrong with that… as i said: i've been doing this for many years.

but a few days ago i noticed a wrong Original Time Stamp for this exported master file (the new one with the changes) when i also re-imported THIS file into the original session (same frame rate, same tc start, everything the same…).

i did some testing, and i found that this wrong time stamp was exactly the same location where i recorded one of the little changes, although the file was consolidated from start to finish.

although we got to this time stamping problem on different paths… did you come across any ideas what might be causing this (for your way of working)?

yours,
frank.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:37 AM

I never found a solution. I'm doing a multi-track music mix, usually around 80-100 tracks, through our SSL and back into 5.1 and Stereo tracks in the same session. When I click on the files to RENAME them, the info window shows the timecode stamp of the file and that's what I write down before exporting the mix files into another folder.

If these files are imported into another session, ProTools or Avid, the TC stamp is anywhere from 2-4 frames early, and has been as much as 2-3 minutes off!!

What we do now is open all files with Sound Devices' WAVE AGENT app which can confirm and/or change meta data within the BWF. Again, the TC stamp is never what I wrote down in the session, so I change it to what the info window showed and all is well.

Odd thing is, within the metadata there's a placeholder for FRAME RATE which is always blank, even though everything we do is 29,97 drop. We also enter that information.

I'm not sure what else to tell you. I've gotten no response from anyone about this, and Avid wants to see ProTools and Avid sessions where the problem exists. I'm not gonna do that... this was an easy fix and it works for us.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:48 AM

hi eric,

thanks for taking the time to reply!

i'll have a look at wave agent, thank you for the tip : )

yours,
frank.
Old 01-12-2021, 05:12 AM

Not sure if you found a solution for this (old thread!), but I've just come across the same issue....

My hunch is that it is perhaps template based? I've seen it in one of my templates a bunch of times, but not in others (we tend to create series-specific templates).

Does this chime with other users experience?

I'm going to try rebuilding the template by importing into a fresh session and see if that fixes the issue.
Old 01-25-2021, 09:47 AM

Avid please look into this issue and fix. This has been an ongoing issue for years. Still happening on 2020.11 with OS X 10.15.7.

The only way to see if there is any issue with timestamp with your files is to export the stems, and import back into Pro Tools and use the Spot feature and you can quickly see the original timestamp of the file. Sometimes the bug happens, sometimes it doesn't. When there is an issue with the original time stamp not being correct I have found re consolidating the files seems to fix the issue. Sometimes you need to consolidate, export, import multiple times till you get the proper timestamp.

Avid PLEASE FIX! Having to get calls from clients about our timestamp is incorrect is annoying. Same goes for adding extra steps in the workflow for a bug.
Old 02-24-2021, 01:15 AM

had the same problem today with Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.11
reconsolidating the file a second time put back the right timecode in...
mad bug.

Raffaele

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank brunier View Post
hi eric,

i noticed your post while looking for a solution for a problem i first encountered a few days ago (also working like this for years…):

i bounce my mix (tv voice over stuff) and re-import the file back onto a new track, in case the producer would like something changed, or just to check loudness or whatever.
when i do have to make an edit, i then just use quick punch to record these changes onto the master track… so i don't have to bounce the whole session again.
after that, i consolidate the "old" mix and the little snippets for the changes to a new master file and export it.

nothing wrong with that… as i said: i've been doing this for many years.

but a few days ago i noticed a wrong Original Time Stamp for this exported master file (the new one with the changes) when i also re-imported THIS file into the original session (same frame rate, same tc start, everything the same…).

i did some testing, and i found that this wrong time stamp was exactly the same location where i recorded one of the little changes, although the file was consolidated from start to finish.

although we got to this time stamping problem on different paths… did you come across any ideas what might be causing this (for your way of working)?

yours,
frank.

PT HDX + 4 AVID I/O
PT HDN + OMNI
Pro Tools 12
Old 02-25-2021, 01:12 PM

Happens to our systems at a post studio on occasion randomly. I know it is more frequent when you punch into existing audio stems.

I started another thread with detailed steps that creates an inconsistency in the TC metadata, albeit a slightly different issue but related. Currently going through Avid support.

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=414027.