Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 06-27-2019, 01:09 PM

Default Pro Tools playing back wrong video file?

Has anyone ever had an issue with Pro Tools playing back the wrong video files? This is an issue I have never seen before after using Pro Tools since 1999-ish. I have a session with 30 video files (6 spots, with 5 versions of each. The difference in the video file versions for each spot is that each has a different visual logo at the end. All the files are labeled correctly. If I load only one 'logo version' of the spots, all is well. But once I load more in, even though they're all placed in different locations on the timeline, it's swapping which one it plays back. However, if I Bounce to Quicktime, it outputs the CORRECT file (which is great for outputting, but useless when I have clients in the room). Re-starting, re-loading video files, changing the order in which I load them in... nothing seems to help. I'm stumped. Video files are all DNxHD 36 Mb/s. Otherwise the system has been stable. I've done similar versioning sessions before without issue, although this is the first I've had on 2019.5.

System details:
Mac Pro 6,1, 3.5 GHz 6-core, 32 GB RAM
OS 10.14.5
Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.5 with HDX1
Old 06-27-2019, 01:16 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools playing back wrong video file?

Are you using any video playback interfaces (BlackMagic or Aja)"
Are all 30 on 1 video track or 5 video tracks?
Old 06-28-2019, 01:59 AM

What OS are you on? And FYI they’ve released 2019.6 which is full of bug fixes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-28-2019, 05:21 AM

Interestingly enough, I had a similar problem recently. A session with 6 different video tracks (alt versions). The Video engine got stuck playing one specific video regardless of which track i had active. Restarting Pro Tools resolved the problem. My Sig is out of date BTW. I'm running on a 2018 Mac Mini with 32Gig ram and the (almost) Latest PTs Ultimate (not the one released yesterday).

System 2: Pro Tools 23.9 (no Hardware), Mac OS 13.2.1, MBP (Macbook Air M2, 2022 24Gig Ram)

Last edited by Tim R.; 06-28-2019 at 06:25 AM.
Old 07-02-2019, 02:41 PM

Thanks for the quick responses... and sorry for the late reply. The Canadian long weekend had me blissfully disconnected while I fed the mosquitos.

I'm not using any video hardware. I have 3 screens connected to the Mac Pro 6,1; screen 1 and 2 (edit and mix) are on Thunderbolt->VGA adapters, and screen 3 (picture) is HDMI. Haven't had any issues with this setup to date.

I initially tried running the different picture versions on different video tracks, but once I ran into trouble, I tried deleting all the tracks and putting the video files all on one video track. This didn't solve it.

Current OS is 10.14.5. I saw 2019.6 came out, so might give that a spin if I get a lull soon.

Restarts didn't solve it for me, despite my best efforts. Every time I load the files back in, they get swapped. There's likely a pattern to it, I just haven't found it yet. Again, if I get a lull soon I'll continue to try and solve it.
Old 07-02-2019, 06:25 PM

Are they all the exact same size and codec? If not, that might cause a problem.
Old 07-03-2019, 05:43 PM

I think I may have encountered this.

Is the character length of the full path of any of the video files in the session greater than 128 characters? (Like /Audio/session/video.mov........) I’ve noticed the video engine behaves really odd if you have a a video file that have really long names.

I started seeing it when We started making more sub folders to organize where video files came from, as well as adding time and date suffixes to video files to keep track of when we receive elements.

Shortening the path and or file name fixes it for me.
Old 07-04-2019, 08:19 AM

I have found a culprit, but I don't understand it. The files had all been converted to DNxHD using ffWorks v1.2.9 (with ffmpeg 4.1.3). I tried instead converting the files using good ol' MPEG Streamclip, and everything worked great, regardless of filename length.

But I still don't understand how/why Pro Tools would play back the wrong file in realtime, but use the correct file during Bounce to Quicktime.

@epm: I got excited about the file path name length idea... but alas, no change (using the ffWorks files). I renamed everything and removed sub-folder paths so all path names were well under 50 characters, including filename. No luck. Pro Tools was still showing the wrong version on screen.

@reichman: The codecs were all identical. The majority of the :30-second spots are the same file size (2 are 0.2 MB shorter... less frames of black on the end of the file), and same goes for the :15-second spots.

Can someone please convince MPEG Streamclip's creator's to make a 64-bit version? That little app is rock solid, even if it is slow.
Old 07-04-2019, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhaudio View Post
I have found a culprit, but I don't understand it. The files had all been converted to DNxHD using ffWorks v1.2.9 (with ffmpeg 4.1.3). I tried instead converting the files using good ol' MPEG Streamclip, and everything worked great, regardless of filename length.

But I still don't understand how/why Pro Tools would play back the wrong file in realtime, but use the correct file during Bounce to Quicktime.

@epm: I got excited about the file path name length idea... but alas, no change (using the ffWorks files). I renamed everything and removed sub-folder paths so all path names were well under 50 characters, including filename. No luck. Pro Tools was still showing the wrong version on screen.

@reichman: The codecs were all identical. The majority of the :30-second spots are the same file size (2 are 0.2 MB shorter... less frames of black on the end of the file), and same goes for the :15-second spots.

Can someone please convince MPEG Streamclip's creator's to make a 64-bit version? That little app is rock solid, even if it is slow.
Weird issue! We've been using Apple Compressor and Adobe Media encoder and haven't had any issues (using ProRes) (other than the file path thing, which avid hasn't gotten around to fixing)

I'm worried about moving to mojave on any of our machines since Mpeg streamclip and quicktime 7 can be lifesavers when all else fails.
Old 07-04-2019, 09:03 AM

MPEG Streamclip is still working fine on Mojave... it's the next OS that'll finally kill it. But it's really slow compared to ffWorks. I'm downloading DaVinci Resolve to see how it does.