Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 03-25-2019, 01:02 AM

Default Kraken - editor’s toolkit

Hi, I’d just like to mention a very clever bit of software a colleague of mine has been working on for quite a long time. It’s had to explain exactly what it does as it does quite a few useful things to do with EDLs/finding alternative takes/auto-conforming. It’s well worth a look for Post people, particularly dialogue editors.

It’s at: http://krakensoftware.co.uk

Cheers,
Pete
Old 03-25-2019, 01:57 AM

Default Re: Kraken - editor’s toolkit

+1

Marc was kind enough to let me test out a beta on a difficult project. Definitely getting it for my next job. I highly recommend it.

Many thanks to you for your software too Pete! I use it for all our spotting.

Ayush
Old 03-27-2019, 06:38 AM

Pete,

What roll is this filling that EdiLoad or Conformalizer doesn't do already? I am not being accusatory; I have Ediload and I am wondering if there is something in this software that could augment it.

Randall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Gates View Post
Hi, I’d just like to mention a very clever bit of software a colleague of mine has been working on for quite a long time. It’s had to explain exactly what it does as it does quite a few useful things to do with EDLs/finding alternative takes/auto-conforming. It’s well worth a look for Post people, particularly dialogue editors.

It’s at: http://krakensoftware.co.uk

Cheers,
Pete
Denver, CO
Old 03-27-2019, 07:17 AM

I think maybe I should get Marc on here to explain. It does things that neither EdiLoad or Conformalizer do basically, it reads the session file directly and can track all the source audio as you're playing/navigating around. You can instantly see the waveform of the full extent of the source file and also see related takes instantly in a list. It auto-conforms directly into the session which is very cool if you just want to auto-conform a scene say. It does loads more, I'll talk to Marc, I'm not selling it well!

Cheers,
Pete

Last edited by Pete Gates; 03-27-2019 at 08:56 AM.
Old 03-28-2019, 05:26 AM

Hi Randall,

The greatest feature of Kraken is that it makes the task of finding alt takes very very easy. Kraken links to Protools via MTC and is able to monitor what dialog clip/track you have selected, and will then point to that take in its own rushes bin. You can then very quickly look at the other takes of that shot or scene that are in the bin to find a better version of the line you are looking to replace. This saves loads of time on the dialog edit - and if alt finding is as easy and quick as this, your tend to leave less fixes to RX.

Kraken can also assemble conform tracks from EDL's just like Ediload, and does a stellar job of this too.

Check out some of the videos: http://krakensoftware.co.uk/video

I hope Marc will add many more features as time goes by!

Ayush
Old 03-28-2019, 08:13 AM

Here’s a message from Marc:

Hi Randall and all,

I am the creator of Kraken.

The main functionality as Pete and Ayush have explained is as a super fast rushes/alt searching tool. Kraken tracks via MTC your current timeline position, and knows the content of your edit. As a result, whatever edit you are currently pointed at on your timeline is reflected in Kraken, so any time you need to seek an alt you can tab over to Kraken and can immediately seek in the relevant take, and have all neighbouring takes very quickly available.

The second main function is to assemble from EDL. This part of the functionality is an alternative to Ediload.

So Kraken can live 100% alongside Ediload and Conformalizer, as its main alt-seeking functionality does not exist elsewhere as far as I know.

www.krakensoftware.co.uk has more info.

I am also delighted to talk on here, via email, or voice chat any time to discuss/demonstrate the program.

A 30 day fully-functioning demo is available on the website.

For now Mac only, but I hope for a PC version as soon as I can make that happen.

Marc

Last edited by Pete Gates; 03-29-2019 at 03:22 AM.
Old 04-02-2019, 12:33 AM

I have just downloaded the demo, and I`m currently using it on a project. I just have to say - wow, what an incredible useful piece of software! Makes finding alt takes so much faster and easier. Highly recommended!
Old 04-09-2019, 02:12 PM

I can't live without this software, being using it on my last 3 projects and it is just wonderful and easy to use.
Feel free to ask anything thing to me, I'm more than happy to answer.
Oh, and Marc is just the best guy ever

Cheers
Old 04-12-2019, 01:18 PM

Any one knows if Editor's toolkit kan handle "Single List" EDL's. (Like the ones one can make with EDL-X software.

It could be a good solution to get rid of the FCP X to Pro Tools Headaches!
Mac 16 Core 7,1 -Os 10.15.7 - 96 gb Ram - Pro Tools 2022.6 Ultimate in 5 suites - MTRX Studio -S6 26-5-D - Sync HD - Video Satelite (Symphony 2022.5, AJA Kona 3g) Pro Protools 2022.6 Vanilla in 21 x Recording and Edit suites. Mac 6,1 Mac Mini, Mac Mini M1, Mac Studio Pro, Mac Studio Max
Mediacomposer 2021.12 on AJA Kona 3g / XT I/O x 3 suites. Multiple Avid S1, S3 & Docks
Old 04-13-2019, 01:04 AM

Hi StefB,

If you send me an example of the type of EDL you are talking about, I'll make sure to implement it!
Thanks
Marc