Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)

Old 01-27-2005, 08:10 PM

Default Fairlight MFX v Protools HD

I just spoke with someone at a massive film studio
They told me they use Fairlight MFX in the main studio
They transfer the file formats from OMF’s to Fairlight files and work to SP Beta and fit it in during the mix with the director

Is Fairlight MFX better than protools HD?

I checked the Fairlight site and it seems they have a pc controlled system that uses dsp cards just like protools HD called plugin manager with over 80 dsp effects and softmix which i guess is like the protools program

I dont know the cost of that stuff in comparison to protools HD, but id like to hear if anyone has used both and their comparisons...

DD

Facebook/90210
T666 Official
T 6 6 6 - da nuclear bomb from Australia.
Old 01-27-2005, 10:57 PM

Default Re: Fairlight MFX v Protools HD

Hi t666,
Ask eight different kats and you'll get eight different answers. Personally, MFX isn't supported anymore and hard drives that work with the FMX aren't even made anymore. I know, because we have MFX 3+' and PT in every bay. The four things that make PT HD much better than MFX 3+'s is editing audio, mix automation, compatibility and support. The best thing about MFX3+ is the machine control is tight. For me, PT HD on a PC is the best DAW I've ever used., very cool and pro.
Peace,
Brandon

PS. on a mac digital video is really nice.
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 02-03-2005, 01:31 AM

Thanks for replying dood
Would like to here a few more opinions if their are any?!

Facebook/90210
T666 Official
T 6 6 6 - da nuclear bomb from Australia.
Old 02-03-2005, 04:43 AM

Stick with PT! That's my opinion!

Carl Fuehrer

Pulsar Audio Lab
Old 02-03-2005, 05:20 AM

3 years ago we pulled our company off of Fairlight and onto PT.

MFX is a great, no, awesome editor. But that's all it does - no plug-ins, no bells, no whistles. If you're cutting dialog then it might be the right machine. If you're finishing anything, IMHO opinion, PT is a much better solution. Henchmen might disagree here .

The newer fairlights look great, and are probably wonderful machines. I haven't worked on one. All in one solutions scare me a bit, though, because you're livelyhood is at the mercy of one company.

You should search the DUC for about 3 years ago. You will find MUCH discussion of this topic.

Frank
Old 02-03-2005, 08:05 AM

Hi, we have 9 Fairlights and 2 Protools systems.
We use the Protools for importing and exporting projects to other facilities.
As far as reliability and support, Fairlight and MediaGear here in North America are unmatched.
Place a call or send an email, and one of 3 people who you know and trust will be in touch.
Our oldest system is 13 years old and is in use as I type and its file system is compatible with the latest QDC system. Also, their implementation of MADI is miles ahead of PT's clumsy I/O.
I know this is a PT forum and I expect to hear from plenty of Ptools users waving the DIGI flag but I just had to chime in that Fairlight has been a wise choice for us.
Home to the Trailer Park Boys, 22 Minutes and Mr D as well as many more. Need proper ADR in Nova Scotia? I'm the call to make.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:41 AM

I work for a "Massive Film Studio" that is still using Failights. To be honest, I can't wait for them to go away.

It's not that they haven't performed well ... they have. It's just that they are SO LIMITED!!!! Then there's the support issue.
Most importantly though is the fact that nearly EVERYONE else in both music AND post production uses Pro Tools. That should tell you something.

Fairlights are good basic editors and good recorders, but that's about it. I know there are some folks doing good mixes, etc. on the MFX, but I think you'll find that to be the exception, not the rule. (All flames welcomed.)
Old 02-03-2005, 02:42 PM

By T666
Quote:
Is Fairlight MFX better than protools HD?
Hello. Well let me answer that question with some others. Is vanilla ice cream better than chocolate? Is Mercedes Benz better than BMW? Is Coke better than Pepsi?

All very subjective answers based on taste and personal opinion. Some will like one, some the other. Here is something I can say about Fairlight that really has nothing much to do with the product itself. Fairlight went bankrupt not too long ago and it took some financial 'restructuring' and last minute cash flow investments to bail them out and make it rise from the ashes literally, or we wouldn't even be having this conversation right now.

If I was considering spending money nowadays, this would weigh heavily on my mind when making a decision. In that context, Pro Tools is assured to be around for years maybe decades to come. I am not sure we can say the same about Fairlight, regardless if their product is brilliant or not.
Old 02-04-2005, 07:13 AM

Quote:

Pro Tools is assured to be around for years maybe decades to come. I am not sure we can say the same about Fairlight, regardless if their product is brilliant or not.
Hahaha, you won't know if this is true (the Part about Protools) it can all end tomorrow.
Old 02-04-2005, 01:56 PM

As I undestand it, Digidesign has been doing well financially, as has its parent company Avid. The stock price is pretty high, and they just purchased MAudio. Anything is possible, but these are all indicators that it is a sound company, likely to be around for a while.

PS - There are none of the indicators that would lead one to suspect the type of extreme fraud witnessed at several companies in the last 5 years, either, and it's not the kind of place that lends itself to that (eg, there's no large trading operations to allow the kind of Ponzi scheme that seems to be the basis of the Enron debacle).