Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 07-18-2019, 08:20 PM

Default Re: Avid S1 & S4

S1 is $1,200. Avid said so somewhere.

what I want to know is on the S1... are there (one handed) automation mode switching buttons? to go to touch / latch / trim / etc. (?)
Old 07-18-2019, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixerGuy View Post
S1 is $1,200. Avid said so somewhere.

what I want to know is on the S1... are there (one handed) automation mode switching buttons? to go to touch / latch / trim / etc. (?)
If you set the EuCon pref for the REC switch to change automation modes, you can individually cycle modes on each fader by hitting REC.

I don't see dedicated mode switches like on the Dock or master section of the bigger boards, but EuCon is highly programmable. There's a way...
Old 07-18-2019, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
Thanks. Not that Alps faders are a bad thing but of all places to cut costs...

I guess I'm not the only one that expected something between S3 and S6, not a reworked cheaper S6.

S1 is a winner if it's not too expensive. But going by the S3 price they'll have it at $3k.
The s6 faders are indeed amazing, and for me the major reason to want to buy one. But now Avid have made that impossible by shifting the premium faders to the m40 only.

Compared to the s6, the alps faders feel like plastic toys.

The S1 will have the same faders as the 20x more expensive S4.
Making the S1 the real winner of the day.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:33 AM

I got some hands on time with these in Nashville.

S1 does not have automation buttons and the “dock” portion that holds an iPad is permanent. So it’s depth is quite a bit deeper than an Artist which is unfortunate.

S4 looks great, biggest issue I see with it is the faders are about the same quality as an S3. To achieve the same quality feel as a d command or d control you still need to move to an S6, which is a shame since I see the S4 as the D Command replacement.

The new version of the Avid ios control app was alpha software so very buggy but it looked cool. Apparently the meter mode works because it detects you have the appropriate control surface, so that functionality is not backwards compatible with the artist series.

MKD Creative
Old 07-19-2019, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondschwin View Post

S1 does not have automation buttons and the “dock” portion that holds an iPad is permanent. So it’s depth is quite a bit deeper than an Artist which is unfortunate.
Thanks for the info. From the picture it does seem it's more or less exactly an Artist mix in terms of hardware elements with better faders, better rotaries and slimmer foot print. Do you know if Artists and S1 can combined? Like a Control and an S1 or a Mix and an S1? I also hope they give the PSU a longer cable so it can be placed off the desk. The Artists ones all have this high pitch buzz and you can't put them further away as the cable is very short.

F.
Old 07-19-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Mac View Post
The s6 faders are indeed amazing, and for me the major reason to want to buy one. But now Avid have made that impossible by shifting the premium faders to the m40 only.

Compared to the s6, the alps faders feel like plastic toys.

The S1 will have the same faders as the 20x more expensive S4.
Making the S1 the real winner of the day.
According to this, only the s4 has alps faders, both the m10 and the m40 still have the TKD faders

Wave-T.com
Old 07-19-2019, 02:38 PM

Thanks Max - great info.

Kind of bummed that there are not automation mode buttons.... UG. I'm switching in and out of different modes all the time

I guess i could mouse right hand, and fader left hand.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondschwin View Post

S4 looks great, biggest issue I see with it is the faders are about the same quality as an S3. To achieve the same quality feel as a d command or d control you still need to move to an S6, which is a shame since I see the S4 as the D Command replacement.

The new version of the Avid ios control app was alpha software so very buggy but it looked cool. Apparently the meter mode works because it detects you have the appropriate control surface, so that functionality is not backwards compatible with the artist series.
Old 07-19-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixerGuy View Post
Thanks Max - great info.

Kind of bummed that there are not automation mode buttons.... UG. I'm switching in and out of different modes all the time
Shift + Rec button next to fader flips through automation modes.
Old 07-19-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Prices of the S4 was higher than I guessed ...

https://www.sweetwater.com/shop/new-...e-controllers/
Why would someone buy the S4 ? Less buttons, cheaper faders (rep told me they are S3 faders) for the same price as the S6M10.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishabou View Post
Why would someone buy the S4 ? Less buttons, cheaper faders (rep told me they are S3 faders) for the same price as the S6M10.
The M10 is no more