Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 01-03-2020, 08:44 PM

Default Re: Protools 12.XX performance optimization script and important tips!

This solution worked for me on my i9 9900K build on Windows 10 Pro 1903 and Pro Tools 2019.12. My interface is an RME Babyface Pro with the latest drivers installed. Optimizing Windows based on Pro Tools guide doesn't help. Playback with two audio tracks is barely possible at a 64 or 128 buffer until the fix is applied, after which point it plays back smoothly. Many thanks for this script, it's a big help.

I can confirm that using Processor Lasso or a script that launches Pro Tools with one core disabled in the processor affinity settings doesn't work, the settings must be applied either with the script manually in task manager.

However it begs the questions, why is it necessary? Any ideas of other ways to trouble shoot or some indication from Avid that a fix is in the works? Seems to me to be unacceptable behavior for a pro software of this caliber.

EDIT: Increasing the buffer to 1024 seems to more or less get rid of the CPU spikes, but running the script still seemed to offer a minute improvement based on an unscientific test.
Old 01-04-2020, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgillam View Post
This solution worked for me on my i9 9900K build on Windows 10 Pro 1903 and Pro Tools 2019.12. My interface is an RME Babyface Pro with the latest drivers installed. Optimizing Windows based on Pro Tools guide doesn't help. Playback with two audio tracks is barely possible at a 64 or 128 buffer until the fix is applied, after which point it plays back smoothly. Many thanks for this script, it's a big help.

I can confirm that using Processor Lasso or a script that launches Pro Tools with one core disabled in the processor affinity settings doesn't work, the settings must be applied either with the script manually in task manager.

However it begs the questions, why is it necessary? Any ideas of other ways to trouble shoot or some indication from Avid that a fix is in the works? Seems to me to be unacceptable behavior for a pro software of this caliber.

EDIT: Increasing the buffer to 1024 seems to more or less get rid of the CPU spikes, but running the script still seemed to offer a minute improvement based on an unscientific test.
You should be able to playback / record tons of tracks at a 64 hw buffer w a 9900k without any script like this. You have problems with settings whether it be bios and or OS that are causing your issues. I can literally have 100+ tracks in playback with lots of plugins and be doing overdubs on tracks at 128.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 3-6-18)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 6800k
Win 10
Old 01-04-2020, 10:35 AM

This thread has the optimizations I did as well as ALL the Avid ones.
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Old 01-04-2020, 12:04 PM

Thanks to you both. When I toggled processor settings in BIOS it didn't resolve the issue, and my build has been rock solid with Cubase. However running Pro Tools as administrator seems to solve the CPU spikes without the need for the script. The problem with running PT as admin as Avid suggests is that drag and drop via Explorer and the Splice app no longer works, even when I run Splice as administrator. Do you know of a workaround?

Running ADSR Sample Manager and Resonic Player as admin allows me to drag and drop to PT when all are running as admin.