Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2003, 11:46 AM

Default Re: Mac Mixes!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Hey GORILLA !!!

Merry Christmas, and may your tree be filled with PLENTY of Goodies !!!

Take Care,
Gene

Thanks Gene!! Same back at cha good friend!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-24-2003, 01:28 PM

Default Re: Let\'s hear your latest stuff....right here

Merry Christmas to all who've posted these great songs here... Here's to a great new year of music...
Old 12-24-2003, 02:04 PM

Aussie, Roy, thanks again for the feedback. Although the drums do seem kind of "in your face", that's pretty much the sound we were going for. We take a lot of influence from bands such as Lacuna Coil, Rob Zombie, Kidney Thieves, and european goth/club dance music.... all of which utilize massive sounding drums that kick ya in the nuts and make you want to dance.

We are planning on re-recording all of our stuff under better conditions. We are going to set aside a weekend in early January and do some experimenting with miking and tracking different instruments in different parts of my house to see what sounds best where. The entire house is hard wood floors, so we could get some interesting results. Once we have found some good "formulas" for what mics to use where, and what rooms to record what instruments in, we will start the actual recording.

What we recorded so far was more of a trial run to give me some practice with engineering and mixing, after all, since I have next to zero experience with this stuff. So as I mentioned before, we practice in my basement, which is all concrete floors and walls. After I had felt comfortable with setting up mics and recording basic tracks, I decided to just slap mics on the guitar cabinets and drums and record everything live as we practice it. I would then use those tracks to practice mixing and familiarize myself with the basic workings of Protools, as well as get accustomed to how my mixes would sound in the real world. Then eventually when I felt comfortable with it, we would go back and record everything the proper way.

To give you a bit of background... throughout the past few years, we had gone to a few different local studios and paid ($$you don't want to know how much$$) for blocks of time to record two or three song demos. Every time we did this, we ended up going over budget, and never being happy with the end result. By nature, I am one of those people who lives by the motto... "If you want something done right... then do it yourself and don't trust anyone else..." Admittedly, I am sort of stubborn that way. That said, I got fed up with this cycle and decided to just buy my own gear and learn how to record... figuring it would pay for itself in time. This decision was made about one year ago. Originally I was just going to buy an all-in-one studio in a box, like a Roland VS2480, then beg, borrow, and steal to get a few mics, and that would be it. But after doing research for a few months, I ultimately decided to go a little larger scale than my original plan, and start with a Digi001. Over the next few months I started building a PC and a control desk area in my basement. I gathered the parts and built a 100 foot 12 channel snake from scratch, to reach anywhere in my house from the control desk. I reasearched and purchased several microphones, stands, a couple of preamps, a compressor, cables, accessories... ect... and a pair of monitors. Then I picked up a couple books on home recording and read them, and I just started reading these forums and asking a lot of dumb questions. You guys have no idea how helpful you have all been, from the beginning of my decision process on getting a Digi001, to building my pc, to recommendations on mics and preamps, to setting levels... etc.

So anyway, that entire process of building my studio, gathering gear, and trying to learn some basics on recording, took almost a year. And now here I am ready to start actually USING it all. So far it has been a very exciting experience for me... finding a new hobby that I never in a million years would have though I'd be interested in.

I am eager to keep learning and gaining experience in this new hobby of mine. I will continue to post stuff here as I go, and I look forward to hearing your feedback (good and bad) so that I can learn from mistakes and improve my skills.

Thanks again, to all of you, who have helped me get this far!
Old 12-24-2003, 02:42 PM

Siberian,
It sounds like you're lined up for a great year. Post any new stuff you can...I for one want to hear your progress.
thanks and Merry Christmas......-Roy
Old 12-25-2003, 03:14 PM

Well I guess I'm reaaaaally late... Haven't been around for quite a while... Anyway.
If anybody's interested in listening to what a french frog can do on its own in its private studio... Just keep in mind that I'm playing all of the instruments (even the female background vocals...), recording all the tracks and mixing the whole thing myself.
Also, I have to admit that, making a living by mixing for the others, I don't really care about quality when it comes to my music... Just wanna do this as quickly and spontaneously as I can... I'm having fun recording and mixing like a pig... for a change!
Everything was recorded using PT+001 and a whole bunch of various equipments(...).
You'll find low resolution samples of the songs (MP3-56K) and (so called) high resolution whole tunes (MP3-128K). My concern was mostly not to end up with large files (haven't forgoten the time when I was surfing with a 56K modem I guess). Any critics or opinions welcome.
TM Website
Old 12-26-2003, 01:36 PM

Siberian
You sound like you've followed a similar path to me.
We got sick of paying for "studio" recordings we were disappointed with. Our ex bass player bought a Yamaha MD8 and our studio was originally built around that. This was great to learn on, but we soon learned that it is sonically inferior and 8 tracks was just too limiting.
So when the bass player left to band, I took the oportunity to move up to the DIGI001.
Keep up the good work. I'm looking forward to hearing more of your stuff.
Old 12-27-2003, 01:01 AM

Mark,
Listened to 'Think of You' again today...just a fine song...
Old 12-28-2003, 09:00 PM

I'm hoping there's gonna more on-line collaboration this year. Good things come from it. There's so much talent out there, and it's very simple to do. Somebody else can help you complete something you have that's good, but unfinished (which we all have).
My schedule is full right now, but there should be plenty of artist/writers for you collaborate with here.
~Roy
Old 12-29-2003, 07:31 AM

Hey all, here are two new tracks from a band I just recorded and produced!
City Hall
Vienna

Thanks
Aaron J
Old 12-29-2003, 08:14 AM

I just wanted to pass along my sincerest thanks to all who have commented on my stuff good or bad, it is always positive feedback. It helps me learn. In addition to wishing all great musical creations, I also wish all the best health for the New Year !!!

Take Care,
Gene