Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2021, 10:53 PM

Default Which computer should I use for redundant recording?

So here's the deal, next week I have a live recording for a symphony orchestra, which I have done many times before with the same group, in the same hall and know exactly how I'm going to mic the ensemble.

But, I now have two computers: The Lenovo P50 seen in my signature, with 64GB of RAM and three separate internal SSD drives, and now also a mid 2018 MacBook Pro, 6-core i9 with 32GB of RAM, but only a single 1TB internal SSD (I have external USB-C SSD drives to record onto).

I'm going to record to both, at the same time, with one being the primary and one being the redundant back-up recording.

I will use the Focusrite Red 8Pre, a True Systems Precision 8 8-channel mic preamp, and well as one or two Focusrite Clarett OctoPres, total number of recording channels will be either 24 or 26 if I decide to hang an extra pair of omnis in the house (which I probably won't).

I have two licenses for Protools: one for Protools Ultimate 2020.12 and one for Protools regular 2020.12.

One of these computers will be connected to the Red 8Pre with an HD Native Thunderbolt box. And one will be connected to the self contained Dante network in my recording rack which will get all of the inputs from my Red 8Pre via Dante Virtual Soundcard. (And just for grins, I will record the direct outs from the Red 8 Pre to the house Yamaha CL5 which has a Focusrite Red 4 Pre and an HDX system for a tertiary back up on their Mac Pro). Sample rates will be 96k.

The MacBook Pro is newer, has more CPU cores and runs faster and isn't cluttered with other stuff on it yet, but has less RAM and only the single internal SSD. The Lenovo P50 has more RAM and more internal SSDs with fewer CPU cores that are slower and older, but it has proven itself over the last 4 years as a reliable live recoding laptop. This is also the maiden voyage for my new MacBook Pro.

Which of these computers should I use for the primary (Red 8Pre/HD Native via Thunderbolt) and which should I use for the redundant (Dante Virtual Soundcard) recordings? Do you think either method would put less strain on the system and CPU than another?

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 03-03-2021, 12:31 AM

Default Re: Which computer should I use for redundant recording?

If you are only recording (as in zero VI plugins) then 32 gigabytes is more than plenty. I remember I recorded and mixed 32 tracks on a 2002 G4 PowerBook that had one gigabyte memory, and that to an internal (custom) 7200rpm 2.5" hard drive.

Don't worry about the specs, just pick the one you are more confident that does not hiccup. You can test this too, just set up a dummy session that records silence to all the tracks you need and hit record. If the gig is 2 hours and your systems run for 4 hours you can be pretty sure they work live as well.
Old 03-03-2021, 12:41 PM

Remember that because its live recording with no need for low-latency monitoring, set the buffer to the largest available number. For me, a backup recorder would not be another computer as I would go with something like the Joebox. Certainly, using a secondary recording is a great idea, no matter what the setup

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-03-2021, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Remember that because its live recording with no need for low-latency monitoring, set the buffer to the largest available number. For me, a backup recorder would not be another computer as I would go with something like the Joebox. Certainly, using a secondary recording is a great idea, no matter what the setup
A hard disc recorder like a JoeCo or preferably a Tascam DA-6400 is on my list. But they are still a lot more expensive than even what I paid for my MacBook Pro and Protools license (since I bought a used MacBook Pro, anyway). But yes, I'll get there eventually.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Old 03-16-2021, 01:12 AM

Figure I would update this thread since I did my first job with the new (to me) MacBook Pro.

I used the MacBook for the HD Native interface with the Red 8 Pre as the primary recording computer and my Lenovo P50 as my backup with DVS.

I did a couple of tests before hand, running 32 channels at 96k for over 3 hours straight with no issues on either computer. And both performed flawlessly for the recording over the weekend. I ended up recording at 48k for this symphony because I needed 28 channels, and the Red 8 Pre tops out at 24 inputs when running 96k (16 analong+8 ADAT).

In addition to my two computers, I also recorded the the house Mac Pro/HDX system using the analog direct outs of my Red 8 Pre and two Clarett OctoPres into the Yamaha CL5, from which I also mixed a live direct to CD recording of the performance for archival purposes.

So, yeah, a quadruplicate recording this weekend.

Here's a pic of my set up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2449-2.jpg (67.4 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by JCBigler; 03-16-2021 at 01:23 AM.
Old 03-16-2021, 07:56 AM

I’d do a test run on both for an hour or so of continuous recording with the exact setup you’re thinking I’d doing, minus the actual instruments.

My vote would be for the Mac, but I’m biased.