Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2011, 09:52 AM

Default 10.7.1 + 9.0.5 + iChat = Crash on Startup

I can reproduce this to 100% on two differently configured computers.

On Mac OS 10.7.1 with Pro Tools 9.0.5 installed:
  • It works fine as long as iChat hasn't been started.
  • When I start iChat (even when it has never been started before) and then try to start Pro Tools it crashes after Loading the Plugins.
  • Exiting iChat doesn't make Pro Tools work again - I have to fully reboot before it starts again.

Crashlog is here:
http://pastebin.com/ccaWJRvt

Update 1 (29. Sep 2011 17:48 GMT+1)
A new workaround has come up. When Pro Tools no longer starts up you can go to Audio MIDI Setup (via Spotlight), choose Pro Tools Aggregate I/O and on the right side deselect all built-in sound sources. Then Pro Tools will start up fine and seems to fully work as long as you change the Setup -> Playback Engine Setting in Pro Tools to a valid sound card.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:14 PM

Default Re: 10.7.1 + 9.0.5 + iChat = Crash on Startup

I have the EXACT same problem on my MacBook Pro running OS X 10.7.1 and PT 9.0.5.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:06 AM

Me too, even the crash log looks the same (Thread 0 crashed with X86 Thread State (32-bit):)!
But I had no idea that this problem is caused by a PT iChat combination! THANK YOU hachre for giving that hint! At least I now know what's the reason for it and how to find my way around.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:11 AM

Couple of things to keep in mind:
9.0.5 is beta for lion so you have to expect these sorts of things; Avid is having enough of a struggle to get PT working with Lion as it is; it shouldn't have to worry about it working as a combo with any other software.

Second - why do you even need to be on iChat when you're working in PT? It's an unnecessary process running.

QAPLA!
Old 09-29-2011, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Couple of things to keep in mind:
9.0.5 is beta for lion so you have to expect these sorts of things; Avid is having enough of a struggle to get PT working with Lion as it is; it shouldn't have to worry about it working as a combo with any other software.

Second - why do you even need to be on iChat when you're working in PT? It's an unnecessary process running.
This is posted for three reasons:
  • So that Avid will know about this bug and they can fix it.
  • So that other people can confirm that this happens as described on the given configuration.
  • So that other people here will know why their Pro Tools doesn't work.

It is clear that this is a beta but it's still necessary to post reports on clearly reproducible bugs due to the reasons above.

Furthermore any software should work in tandem with any other without issues. If things like these would be allowed by the customers in the long run it would mean having a single process OS again in the future.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hachre View Post
This is posted for three reasons:
  • So that Avid will know about this bug and they can fix it.
  • So that other people can confirm that this happens as described on the given configuration.
  • So that other people here will know why their Pro Tools doesn't work.

It is clear that this is a beta but it's still necessary to post reports on clearly reproducible bugs due to the reasons above.

Furthermore any software should work in tandem with any other without issues. If things like these would be allowed by the customers in the long run it would mean having a single process OS again in the future.
You do make several valid points which I won't dispute. What I will dispute is your statement that any software should work with every other piece of software. That's nice but has never happened in the history of computing. You're always going to have things that won't play nicely with each other. Just because PT doesn't play nicely with iChat is no reason to not go with PT if you're serious about making music.

QAPLA!
Old 09-29-2011, 06:32 AM

Quote:
As a professional in the industry, I work much faster and more smoothly when I can run iChat, Chrome, Soundminer, iCal, Transmit, etc. behind Pro Tools. This works well in Snow Leopard, so I thank the original poster for bringing this bug to Avid's attention.

A long time ago it made sense to separate the office apps onto another computer, but it should no longer be necessary. Look at Activity Monitor. These apps barely use any CPU power on a Mac Pro.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
You do make several valid points which I won't dispute. What I will dispute is your statement that any software should work with every other piece of software. That's nice but has never happened in the history of computing. You're always going to have things that won't play nicely with each other. Just because PT doesn't play nicely with iChat is no reason to not go with PT if you're serious about making music.
It might not be a reality, but it certainly is something to strive for!
Old 09-29-2011, 08:35 AM
Avid

Can you tell me which audio hardware you're using with Pro Tools? What is the Playback Engine interface set to?

Do you have that same hardware selected for the Sound system preference panel for either input or output?
Old 09-29-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Can you tell me which audio hardware you're using with Pro Tools? What is the Playback Engine interface set to?

Do you have that same hardware selected for the Sound system preference panel for either input or output?
(Outdated info, please see next post)