How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2021, 05:10 AM

Default Valhalla DSP Reverbs/Delays

Hi!

I have been looking at some tutorials on PureMix and Mix with Masters and have noticed that a lot of time different persons tend to use Valhalla reverbs. I own plenty of reverbs myself so I have been wondering if Valhalla is really so good (or maybe different from others)? I know it's a very subjective question, but I would still like to know the feedback from you - the users.

Cheers!
Old 03-05-2021, 07:59 AM

Default Re: Valhalla DSP Reverbs/Delays

Re the VintageVerb, I was in a similar boat here, though I actually did buy it(I was sharing sessions with another user that had it all over most everything). I also know a few big name mixers that use it, too. At $50, its a no-brainer. Now, mostly due to my being a creature of habit, I tend to reach for certain things for certain purposes(like the same plate for most vocals, the same room for most drums, etc). Having said that, whenever I have called up Valhalla, it has worked well. The different decade's seem to refer to the hardware that was king at the time(To me, the '70's feels like a 224 and the '80's feels like a 480L. Maybe the "NOW" is a Bricasti??). Based on the price and quality, I think it deserves strong consideration(and I need to use it more often myself)

The FreqEcho, is a neat "noisemaker", but I use delays more traditionally, so EchoBoy and Waves H-Delay cover 99.9% of that need IIRC, this was a freebie(get on their mailing list).

BTW, just because the company is Valhalla DSP, don't be mislead that you need DSP to run it as it runs great as Native.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-05-2021, 09:01 AM

I own everything Valhalla DSP makes (including a t-shirt!) Can't recommend them enough, especially for the price point.

Like you, I have a handful of reverbs, and Valhalla gets used more often than not. I like Room for drums and Plate/Vintage for vocals. The delay is my favorite delay plugin on the market too! They are latency-free, low CPU usage, and they cost $50 a pop; what's not to love?
Old 03-08-2021, 05:14 PM

Everything Valhalla make is fantastic.
The reverb algorithms are some of the best out there imho.
If you're looking to re-create some of those amazing FX sounds of the 60's and 70's they've got them all, but it doesn't stop there.
Old 03-23-2021, 06:16 AM

I’ve noticed the same. They do make good quality stuff, but that doesn’t mean the stuff you already own isn’t good quality. It really depends what you are needing at a given moment.

Even a gritty, grainy reverb can be just what a sound, or a mix needs, the same way that sometimes spring reverbs can also work well in a certain context. The trick is to not just default to using the same reverb, use the one that has the right aesthetic for the right part. Even a low-CPU choice can be the best choice on a background element to give your more processor overhead for your main elements.

Point is, Valhalla does make great sounding reverbs, but it’s best to choose the ones that bring a different aesthetic to what you already have. Even if it’s lofi and grainy.