Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools SE and Essential (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2010, 01:03 PM

Exclamation M-Audio Pro Tools SE questions

Hello! I just purchased the M-audio Pro Tools SE Vocal Studio. My goal is to have a "sketch pad" with the smallest footprint of gear to record guitar and vocals. After spending about six hours with the set up I ran into several issues. My hope is that somebody can either say, "or you're not doing this and that" or simply confirm that in fact, these issues are what you get when buying a budget set up.

1. Over all recording experience glitchy. Both during while recording and during playing back. The error message read: "increase H/M buffer settings." However, the system only comes with two preset settings: "Record/perform" and "Mix/production."
2. I couldn't find "pre roll." I gives a click count in--that's it. Obviously, preroll allows one to play along during preroll for a seamless punch in.
3. There is no "all in one" mode for the use of the hand, pencil, trimming, etc. tools! One has to use the "escape" button to change between settings (not very efficient).
4. I couldn't find the "slip" mode--just the "grid" mode.

Am I missing something? Should I simply move up to the Mbox? It's a shame if these issues are in fact, fact. I like the mic and the simplicity of the set up. Thank you in advance for any help/suggestions.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:21 AM

Default Re: M-Audio Pro Tools SE questions

I'm using SE in a similar way - jot down ideas and then take the best ones to MPowerd if I need to. I don't think an Mbox is worth it for me. Too much hassle in real terms with a separate mic and stand etc.

1. There are a ton of things you can do on your computer to improve its performance - switching off Spotlight made a big difference for me. I found out how to do that in the SE manual.
2. Instead of Pre-roll I just create another track and join the bits together afterwards.
3. Yes, there's no Smart Tool but I like the way that looping is much easier with the Trim tool.
4. I just switch the Grid off when I want to slip audio around.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:22 AM
Avid

1. Also try changing to the Mixing or Producing preset even when recording. This will increase the buffer size.
3. You can also use F5, F6, F7, F8 and F10 to quickly move between tools. If you haven't already done so, you will need to go into System Preferences > Keyboard and select "Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys" to use these shortcuts.
4. Grid mode off is the same as using Slip mode in LE, etc.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:06 AM
Avid

Drivers for all SE bundled interfaces containing a fix for DAE error 720 are now available. If you are experiencing this specific issue, please download and install the latest driver for your device from:

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=support&tab=driver