Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2019, 06:17 AM

Default Re: Pro-Tools Sabotaging My Projects!

My son (a computer science graduate) and I have setup a system where we have in addition to the session drive, a 4 TB backup hard drive in the computer, a server with a 2 Tb RAID array for session backups and Blu-ray burner for archiving backups. This may be overkill, but the best way to lose a business is to lose the files on somebody’s session. I refuse to let that happen.
Gigabyte RX580 8 Gb
Win 10 Pro

15" Mid-2015 MBP 2.2 GHz i7 16 Gb RAM
512 Gb Flash Drive - OS X 10.14.6
Old 02-28-2019, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscomposer View Post
ALL FACTS. I remember thinking "ummmm what!?" when avid introduced cloud along with "sessions" and "projects." At the very least, it should've been the other way around, as a session implies collaboration.
Well a few facts and a lot of silly gyration.. Because IN FACT, if you look at the actual history of Pro Tools as opposed to some silly self anointed grammar police rant.. IN POINT OF FACT Some of people who originally put out PT were actual recording engineers, who worked in real "recording studios" and in "fact" who you know, were used to doing what have been called a "Recording Session" since recording studios began...
So they simply decided to use the term "Session" in Pro Tools as well and designated it as the name for the connected files folder ......Which in Pro Tools was in place and being used years, before the cloud based option came into being. Which then at that later time the file folder for cloud based was designated as a "Project" to differentiate it from the already in place "Session" designation ..... Which actually makes perfect sense, and would have been monumentally stupid to try to change after the "fact"...
Im sorry but for the OP to get all twitterpated over something so meaniless, seems like a function of panties being twisted way to tight....And perhaps a clue as to why he thinks PT arbitrarily took it upon itself, to make some files disappear

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 02-28-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
Well a few facts and a lot of silly gyration.. Because IN FACT, if you look at the actual history of Pro Tools as opposed to some silly self anointed grammar police rant.. IN POINT OF FACT Some of people who originally put out PT were actual recording engineers, who worked in real "recording studios" and in "fact" who you know, were used to doing what have been called a "Recording Session" since recording studios began...
So they simply decided to use the term "Session" in Pro Tools as well and designated it as the name for the connected files folder ......Which in Pro Tools was in place and being used years, before the cloud based option came into being. Which then at that later time the file folder for cloud based was designated as a "Project" to differentiate it from the already in place "Session" designation ..... Which actually makes perfect sense, and would have been monumentally stupid to try to change after the "fact"...
Im sorry but for the OP to get all twitterpated over something so meaniless, seems like a function of panties being twisted way to tight....And perhaps a clue as to why he thinks PT arbitrarily took it upon itself, to make some files disappear
Let's pick a word out of a hat just because it's a different word, and never mind that it has nothing inherently to do with the Cloud, and never mind that the traditional word is closer to the concept of Cloud collaboration by definition. What would've made sense and been much clearer:
  • Session
  • Cloud Session

PS - I take the rants in good humor. I'm not campaigning for them to change anything. lol
Old 02-28-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:

What would've made sense and been much clearer:
  • Session
  • Cloud Session

PS - I take the rants in good humor. I'm not campaigning for them to change anything. lol
I really do agree with your thoughts here. I keep hearing confusion quite often by in part our non profit students who start PTHD 2018 in project mode instead of session and wise versa aswell as pretty big studios we work with and they all say the same thing - Very confusing and unnecessary to have this wording ..

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 02-28-2019, 01:51 PM

I have has the original problem SO MANY freaking times. But only on large post production settings.
If I for instance make a copy of my project (not save copy in). And copy it to another computer, files are almost always missing. But they ARE actually located in the audio folder. I have to search for them, but set it to ignore date etc and just go for naming, and then it finds the files.

Annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-28-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the19thbear View Post
I have has the original problem SO MANY freaking times. But only on large post production settings.
If I for instance make a copy of my project (not save copy in). And copy it to another computer, files are almost always missing. But they ARE actually located in the audio folder. I have to search for them, but set it to ignore date etc and just go for naming, and then it finds the files.

Annoying.
In another thread on here, I made a plea for Avid to consider that there are only two kinds of sessions. "Self-Contained" sessions, and "External Reference" sessions (that contain media on paths outside the current session folder).

I literally get sessions from artists and producers every week with missing files, so don't tell me that it's not a problem. I'm fine, as I've encountered every kind of ProTools problem ever, but this is a CONSTANT problem for the non-Pro ProTools users around the world...
Old 02-28-2019, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixchump View Post
In another thread on here, I made a plea for Avid to consider that there are only two kinds of sessions. "Self-Contained" sessions, and "External Reference" sessions (that contain media on paths outside the current session folder).

I literally get sessions from artists and producers every week with missing files, so don't tell me that it's not a problem. I'm fine, as I've encountered every kind of ProTools problem ever, but this is a CONSTANT problem for the non-Pro ProTools users around the world...
Why are you fine with continuing to pay for upgrades that don't fix a problem you've had repeatedly?

sent from a stupid phone using Tapatalk
Old 03-01-2019, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
If you want a solution, learn to use the import session data function AFTER you create a new session for each of your projects. Shft+cmd+I.

This way you can import all the tracks, names etc without also importing the settings of where the audio files are stored or the audio from the other session.

If you were to read the manual, you would that all of this is fully covered.
If the OP is still following this thread, please re-read this reply, this is the proper way to do what you're doing and should prevent the file allocation issues you're having.

As others have commented, there are thousands of people using pro tools every day, many in mission critical settings without losing files. If those in mission critical settings were to lose a file, they would lose their job.

Another tip that may help, in case this is a hard disc beginning to fail, (from someone who used to be an assistant engineer for a grammy winning record label and handled hard drives containing audio that would be impossible to re-record and recover if lost), record to an external drive and make a backup at the end of each session, verify the size and number of files of the recording folder on both the record drive and the backup drive.

Good luck, we all learn these type of lessons the hard way, hopefully in a situation that isn't mission critical so we can learn from it and keep our jobs when it is mission critical.

-Jeff
Old 03-01-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Let's pick a word out of a hat just because it's a different word, and never mind that it has nothing inherently to do with the Cloud, and never mind that the traditional word is closer to the concept of Cloud collaboration by definition. What would've made sense and been much clearer:
  • Session
  • Cloud Session

I agree that would have made more sense and perhaps prevented any confusion that new users to PT have (especially when they have had experience in other DAWs that call it a project)....

That said , honestly I cannot understand why it is even issue (particularly for anyone claiming to be an experienced PT user) since it is already the terminology in place ..Not to mention the fact that different DAWs often have different nomenclature for the same functions, features, items, and or workflows .. (Not you) but to those having an issue Seems to me if your going to use a DAW it might be wise to focus on learning the specific nomenclature, as opposed to fussing and fuming about something already a done deal and beyond one's control .... juss sayin'

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 03-01-2019 at 10:54 AM.