Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2020, 02:44 AM

Default Music! And sound effects! And dialogue! A new one-of-a-kind library for Post

Sound on Screen is a new library designed for video editors, dubbing mixers and post production houses to meet a very specific requirement. When an on-screen character is watching TV or playing a game, it can be either a) tedious b) expensive or c) both to get a convincing soundtrack with all the elements in their right places. Aquiring rights can be hellish, and doing something bespoke be very time-consuming, all for a background activity.

At Sound on Screen, music, dialogue and sound effects are available as audio clips. Available in a ton of different mixes (with or without a TV / tablet effect baked in), or as stems for complete control. And SOS is a registered MCPS / PRS library, so licensing is a simple as any production music track. EDIT - non-UK licensing is now massively simplified, available directly from us using published PRS rates.

The website is designed to be a simple Netflix-style browsing experience where you can select your genre, type. Registration and downloading is free, the only payment is in your PRO license.

Please do take a look and let me know what you think.

2 min Introductory Video

www.sound-on-screen.com

Pro Tools Expert article

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM

Last edited by noiseboyuk; 05-04-2020 at 01:15 AM.
Old 03-09-2020, 01:37 AM

Default Re: Music! And sound effects! And dialogue! A new one-of-a-kind library for Post

Happy to report this is already being used in the BBC's EastEnders and at least one more main continuing drama :)

Grateful for any help and ideas in spreading the word.... people can only turn to Sound on Screen if they know such a thing exists.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 03-29-2020, 10:36 AM

Default Re: Music! And sound effects! And dialogue! A new one-of-a-kind library for Post

Hey Guy, here in the states, I'd be more inclined to use these if the pricing model were more straightforward, as in SFX, or even stock music. Even better, if there were an option for buyout, that would ease the way for me to suggest using for my largely advertising clients.

It would be difficult for me to point clients in this direction, without knowing what the final costs would be, and without going through all the licensing research for each. Ultimately, I'd LOVE to be able to have regular access to this library, with the full knowledge of costs up front, so that I can confidently sell my clients on their use.
New York, NY 10003
Old 04-15-2020, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by admix View Post
Hey Guy, here in the states, I'd be more inclined to use these if the pricing model were more straightforward, as in SFX, or even stock music. Even better, if there were an option for buyout, that would ease the way for me to suggest using for my largely advertising clients.

It would be difficult for me to point clients in this direction, without knowing what the final costs would be, and without going through all the licensing research for each. Ultimately, I'd LOVE to be able to have regular access to this library, with the full knowledge of costs up front, so that I can confidently sell my clients on their use.
Hi Stephen, so sorry for missing your post, many apologies.

The licensing model was chosen because its already a fixed and known quantity for everyone, exactly the same as production music. A license for online use will be much cheaper than in, say, advertising, but imo that works well for all clients. It's just a simple matter of looking up the rate card for your useage (again, just as all productions do for regular production music). Here's the UK one for broadcast - https://www.prsformusic.com/licences...ng-music-on-tv . By contrast, the SFX upfront model would be prohibatively expensive for many clients. Also some broadcasters are on buyout deals with PROs, in their cases it doesn't cost the productions themselves a penny.

Two new clips have just gone live following client requests, both current affairs documentaries. This one looks at the origins of the Covid19 pandamic, for any productions that need something to reflect these strange times we are all living through. Have been using actors from all over the world, all self-isolating and self-recording!

https://sound-on-screen.com/audio-st...sight-covid19/

Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 04-15-2020, 08:03 AM

Thanks for your reply... Not sure how these rates apply for US commercial usage. It's too bad, as I'm working on a package today that could benefit from some BG stuff like this.
New York, NY 10003
Old 04-15-2020, 04:02 PM

Agreed...looks awesome, but way too many rough waters to navigate through to get a rate for advertising...(local,regional,national,global)!!
Old 04-16-2020, 12:42 AM

Hi Stephen and Gremlin - I'm going to look into this further today. In the UK its very straightforward to get a license for anything that covers you anywhere, I'm going to make sure there's a solution equally simple everywhere. Bear with me... (the perils of starting something brand new!)

Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 04-16-2020, 07:57 AM

Appreciate it, Guy.

On the bright side, you've got some interest here!
New York, NY 10003
Old 04-17-2020, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by admix View Post
Appreciate it, Guy.

On the bright side, you've got some interest here!
Indeed so, thank you for bearing with, Stephen! I might have a solution that is simple sooner rather than later that will make it as simple as it is here in the UK, I'll keep you posted of course.

Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 05-04-2020, 01:12 AM

Good news to all non-UK folks - our international licensing just got massively easier.

The way it now works is that while UK clients license as before through the PRS/MCPS, all non-UK clients (inc EU and USA) license directly through us, using the exact same rates as the PRS. So you check out their rate card for the use you require (links directly from our website), email us with the name of the production, track, usage and duration, we issue and invoice for the amount in GBP and you pay as per the currency conversion local to you. Job done!

The website has been updated with full T&Cs for UK and non-UK, and there's a shiny new video to explain the whole concept.

2 min Introductory Video

As this is obviously a brand new thing in the world, my main job is to get the word out as far and wide that Sound on Screen exists, that there's now a way of solving an existing problem.

Thanks to Stepehn and others here for pointing out the International complexities I hadn't realised, hopefully things will be a lot simpler for everyone wherever they live from here on in.

https://sound-on-screen.com/

Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM