Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2008, 02:24 AM

Default Bad singing

Hello all,

I'm one of many people excited by the new Bond film, to add to my glee I purchased the new song by Jack White and Alicia Keys.

Now, I'm not a fan of either artist. Perhaps I'm getting too snobby and perfectionist in my old age but has anyone else noticed that there is a major singing problem about 2:30 into the song. Alicia is not singing in tune. Did no one in the studio notice?!? Did they not realise you can change pitch easily these days?

What's going on when a huge mainstream artist can release out of tune singing and no one say anything. I've been waiting for someone else to publish that they have noticed this but I've not seen anything.

Website
IMDB

Old 10-30-2008, 04:14 AM

Default Re: Bad singing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Palmer View Post
Hello all,

I'm one of many people excited by the new Bond film, to add to my glee I purchased the new song by Jack White and Alicia Keys.

Now, I'm not a fan of either artist. Perhaps I'm getting too snobby and perfectionist in my old age but has anyone else noticed that there is a major singing problem about 2:30 into the song. Alicia is not singing in tune. Did no one in the studio notice?!? Did they not realise you can change pitch easily these days?

What's going on when a huge mainstream artist can release out of tune singing and no one say anything. I've been waiting for someone else to publish that they have noticed this but I've not seen anything.

I disagree. I like my music not tune corrected to death. I believe in those people having made an artistic statement rather than being sloppy. My 2 cents.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:38 AM

Whenever I play a wrong note, I play it again the next time thru and say....."it's JAZZ, man...."
Seriously though, I hear what you meant and I guess I would chalk it up to "artistic taste" which is sometimes hard to swallow, like the grossly distorted vocal on the original Lenny kravitz version of American Woman(which later got re-released without that effect). My 2 cents, the Bond themes are always trying to be trendy to the point of overdoing it. Still looking forward to the movie but maybe I'll go get some popcorn while the song plays.......

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-30-2008, 07:45 AM

Quote:
My 2 cents, the Bond themes are always trying to be trendy to the point of overdoing it.
Oh yeah. "Die another day" is a terrible, terrible movie, but the theme song...what were they thinking?!

Old 10-30-2008, 08:44 AM

Thumbs down Re: Bad singing

i've heard a recent alicia keys release with some catalogue I V vi ii V chord pattern or something and the vocals could have definately been 'brighter' or more in tune 4 sure. it does sound different and uniquely bad and 'alicia'

saw her perform for the superbowl one year and the piano part wasn't going with the chords she was chunking on the instrument. that's showbiz

cheers to internet pundits :) ... now support your tone a little better alicia--u know from the diaphram