How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2001, 05:52 PM

Default AudioSuite Mix plugin: another idea

The scenario:

11 tracks of drums editing in PT. The drummer misses a certain cymbal hit on the upbeat just after the chorus, but hits it fine on all the upbeats after it. So it makes the drummer seem like he went, "Oh yeah I forgot these." If I stick a cymbal hit in from the beat after, I will lose the crash decay coming out of the chorus. I want to mix the 2 together. Simple, right? Not really.

I had to open up a new session, import the overheads and room files, buss them to new audio tracks, copy the cymbal hit from the next beat stick it underneath the tracks a beat earlier then record that bar, quit, open up the session in question again, import the new recording, and spot to original timestamp! Damn thats a lot of work for simple mixing! Why must we mix everything through the TDM buss? All I want is a simple to impliment AudioSuite mixer. I want to select my material, then select what I want it to mix it with. Nothing fancy, no eq, no compression, a gain control would be nice but not necessary.

Do you all feel my pain as well?
Old 11-20-2001, 06:10 PM

Default Re: AudioSuite Mix plugin: another idea

try creative crossfading,.....

command f,.....
after you've selected a region,...
or, in your case,...overlapping regions,... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-20-2001, 06:27 PM

Why not copy the hit to a new track fade balance etc solo those 2 tracks highlight , bounce to disk (with import), spot to your highlight .
Old 11-20-2001, 06:54 PM

Why not just find a chorus that was played correctly and stick that in where the missing hit is?
Old 11-20-2001, 09:54 PM

Thanks guys. Bull, that won't sound natural. I need a mix plugin. s2n, it's on a post-chorus which is unique by itself. Again, I need an audiosuite mix plugin. Anyone else agree with me?
Old 11-21-2001, 02:25 AM

You shoulda caught the mistake during tracking and punched the retake.
Old 11-21-2001, 05:37 PM

Thanks, Doug, but because of my low DSP situation and my tracks were maxed out at 32, I could not afford another track, much less 4 (overheads and room), and yes, I did catch it during tracking (I'm not always the tracking engineer BTW), but we were recording to 2" with an MTR-90, and punching in drums on those machines is tough. That I was doing all day, with mixed results, but decided to fix this one particular beat in the PT mix. The fix I did sounded completely natural, but I preferably wanted to do the edit across all 11 drum tracks, not just the overheads and room. I know there should be an easier way to do this. I've run into other situations as well where having the ability to mix tracks offline would have been a serious timesaver.

I feel the best way to implement this feature would be a sort of special function paste in which a new funky key combination+V would simply mix the material in th clipboard with the material being pasted over. This could be a much easier function to program than something like, say, a crossfade, considering thats what crossfading does anyway, it just does it on a curve with a variable gain control over the selected time. Actually, now that I think of it, don't we already have this function available on MIDI tracks in the form of merge paste?
Old 11-22-2001, 12:15 AM

Unless I've misunderstood you, I think there's a very simple solution:

Find a cymbal crash with enough decay somewhere else in the track and highlight it. Command > E to seperate it. Create a new track, adding any plug-ins that are on the original track. Drag the bit you just seperated from the region list to where you need it on the new track. Even if it overlaps the next hit it'll be masked by it.

Could be tedious if you have to repeat it for room and other mics, but you can just Shift > Click across these tracks as well before you seperate. If you Shift > Click from the region list too, you can drag them all out together. You shouldn't have to go the length of opening a new session.

I used this trick to fix one of my own vocals where I sang "themed" instead of "seemed". I found an "ss" from another word and pasted it on a new track. Worked a treat.