Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2002, 08:48 PM

Default Re: Just got my Digi pre .....and guess what?

Quote:
Originally posted by Stan Cotey:
Dave Amels,

I can appreciate your willingness to be involved in this discussion. I'm very sincere when I say this: I am appreciative of your willingness to pass along your ideas. The topology of PRE is quite different than the Mackie mic preamp design. While your points may apply to the Mackie preamp circuit you mentioned, not one of them applies to the circuit in PRE. The designs are just too different from each other.

Kind regards,

Stan
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Stan… I wasn’t implying that your preamp is like a Mackie but the principle of gain control through the use of degenerative feedback applies to all amplifiers. The point of my posts is that there are really great topologies available to create mic pres without DC on the gain control relays. I realize this design is already committed seeing as how it’s shipping but you might want to look into some modifications for the next revision. I sincerely hope that this becomes a hit product for Digi.

/Dave
Old 08-02-2002, 02:29 AM

15 bit pultec....
15 bit should sound pretty good right???
don'r you mean like 10 bit?

mesh
Old 08-02-2002, 05:15 AM

Very cool you guys.

Keep on posting, this thread might soon outperform former "longest thread of DUC ever"-threads.

Hey - I´m a professional, too. Though - when I get up too fast early in the morning my knees produce this strange click at -26dB.

[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-04-2002, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bombfactory:
> I'll still stick with my statement that most
> if not all of the engineers I know rarely
> change preamp gain settings while recording.

That hasn't been my experience in watching people record in a pro Los Angeles studio for the past six years. (Or next door in a post-production facility, either.)

> I often set preamp gain slightly conservatively
> and use the gain available in the fader to make
> up for it.

Many pro mixers don't have "gain in the fader." And even on a Mackie (or Pro Tools), this will degrade your S/N. Sure, digital is forgiving and lets you get sloppy here, but it's still bad technique.

> To me, being a responsible engineer often means
> not going for the last few dB in order to
> preserve a little extra headroom for the
> musician's "inspiration" factor.

If you're talking digital, I'm inclined to agree. But when you're talking about analog, I'm inclined to point and you and laugh hysterically.

To me, every great recording comes down to how you manage those "last few dBs." Subtle tape saturation, downright distortion, pristine and loud and clear--doesn't matter the style; achieving it is all in the details of managing those "last few dBs."

<snip>
--Erik
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">But he's talking about digital, Erik. Why are you going on about tape saturation?

dc
Old 08-04-2002, 07:14 PM

Good job...the whole new line of products,,,,must be tough with Avid looking over all you do.......thanks to the folks at Sweetwater ....I have used the Digi pre's quite a bit....(sorry for the plug , but the place is run quite well....G.C. ect..take a lesson}..and they are nice even on vocals.....and the whole new line looks so good..........too bad some of these sad folks can not order Prozac from the Digi store ..........with such negitive talk I guess that is why the music biz is in trouble .........I thought we all got into this to have FUN.............YA YA YA ....I do wish you had taken Apples offer .....wow what a combo that would have been ..........Avid drops the ball again....but what do I know ,,,,,,thanks for letting me share
[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-04-2002, 10:15 PM

Originally posted by Danny Caccavo:

> But he's talking about digital, Erik.
> Why are you going on about tape saturation?

Stan's point is that you should set mic pre levels low and use the "gain in the fader" in Pro Tools.

My point is that you can't treat the analog domain like it's an ADAT. Because it isn't.

It seems that everyone EXCEPT Digi realizes the importance of capturing interesting, amazing sounds in the analog domain before Pro Tools gets its dirty little hands on it.

While George Massenburg is buying FATSOs and partnering with Manley to build his amazing analog gear, Digi is tossing out prosumer 8-channel mic pres with MIDI on them (with DC on the stepped attenuator as a bonus!)

--Erik
Old 08-04-2002, 11:11 PM

Quote:

Massenburg is buying FATSOs
--Erik[/QB]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Erik,
I liked the BF LA2A so much I bought a big metal one with all this glowing stuff on the back. The biggest difference is the lack of 60 cycle hum in the plug in. Whats the deal with George and the Fatsos?
Old 08-05-2002, 08:31 AM

Use our Mastererizer plug if you want to add the hum. We made a big knob just for hum. (And it's hard to beat the price.)

> Whats the deal with George and the Fatsos?

He swears by 'em.

http://www.empiricallabs.com/FATSO.htm

--Erik
Old 08-06-2002, 02:18 AM

Post 188. When will we make 200??
Old 08-06-2002, 08:54 PM

After lots of flailing around in the dark for many moons, Erik's hand has finally found the "Self Destruct" button. D@mn, the countdown is long; like one of those movies where you quit caring about the crew because the tension has been killed by the long drawn out attempt at suspense as the computer voice drones on and on......

"97 seconds until self destruct sequence activates...

96 seconds until self destruct sequence activates...

95 seconds..."

JUST BLOW UP THE SHIP ALREADY!!

Bomb Factory is so apt.

j