Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2004, 02:17 AM

Default Re: Logic Pro 7

Futher Adventures .......

Virginia Tech Building Power Mac G5 Supercomputer
Virginia Tech Building Power Mac G5 Supercomputer

By Jay Lyman
TechNewsWorld
09/03/03 10:08 AM PT

The Virginia Tech project highlights the departure from monolithic mainframe supercomputing to less expensive, grid-like configurations, Yankee Group senior analyst Dana Gardner told TechNewsWorld. Gardner said OS X's BSD kernel roots and Linux and Unix heritage make it ideal for the Virginia Tech cluster.

Oracle Database 10g Standard Edition
Now Oracle Database 10g Standard Edition includes Real Application Clusters giving you 24/7 availability at the lowest cost. Click here for IDC’s report and learn about the advantages of clustering.

Using several new technologies and more than 1,000 dual-processor Power Mac G5 Latest News about G5 computers, Virginia Tech University is building a supercomputer Latest News about supercomputer cluster that is likely to rank among the fastest in the world.

In addition to the G5 machines, the university said it is using a beta version of the latest release of OS X, new networking Relevant Products/Services from AT&T Network Security Solutions hardware from Mellanox and Cisco, and cutting-edge configuration and cooling technologies to build the powerful cluster for a fraction of the price of a traditional supercomputer.

"The total price tag is probably a factor of 10 lower than a machine in this class in the past," Virginia Tech College of Engineering dean Hassan Aref told TechNewsWorld. "Virginia Tech's idea was to develop a supercomputer of national prominence based upon a homegrown cluster."
Super New

Aref, who indicated the project is under pressure to submit computing Relevant Products/Services from Hewlett-Packard Mobility Solutions speed numbers by October to be considered among the world's fastest supercomputers, said the cluster represents the use of five new technologies.

In addition to the latest Mac operating system and dual 2-GHz Power Mac G5 machines, which Apple touts as the fastest desktop computers in the world, the cluster will use several technologies from other vendors: "brand new" networking hardware from Mellanox and Cisco; a new high-density rackmounted cooling system from Liebert; and new software that will enable the cluster to "run big jobs," according to Aref.

The university said the cluster will use 1,100 dual-processor G5s. They will be clustered using 64-bit Infiniband semiconductor technology from Mellanox, which will provide the primary communications fabric, drivers, cards and switches. Cisco's Gigabit Ethernet switches also will be used as the secondary communications fabric to interconnect the cluster.
Stability and Scheduling

Aref said the larger number of machines will mean greater access to and more projects for the supercomputing cluster, which will be used for research on nanoscale electronics, quantum Latest News about quantum chemistry, computational chemistry, aerodynamics and molecular modeling of proteins, among other work.

Aref also said the distributed terascale cluster will mark a new level of stability and discovery.

"We think running a cluster of this size in a sustained, stable mode for a long time is quite unique," he said. "It will allow calculations that have been difficult on other clusters and allow us to peer into a new level of research."
Grassroots Go Global

Virginia Tech said the supercomputer's construction came about through weekly conference calls between the various players and included international expertise from Japan and Israel as well as input from university staff and students.

Aref said that despite concerns about U.S. slippage in the supercomputer environment, the Virginia Tech project highlights American expertise and technology.

"What we're really working off of is this grassroots expertise," he said.
Commodity Computing

The Virginia Tech project comes less than a month after Los Alamos National Laboratory Latest News about Los Alamos National Laboratory announced deals for Linux Relevant Products/Services from Sybase ASE Linux Express Edition – FREE supercomputing clusters. The latest announcement highlights the departure from monolithic mainframe supercomputing to less expensive, grid-like configurations, Yankee Group senior analyst Dana Gardner told TechNewsWorld.

"This is further evidence of going away from symmetrical multiprocessing mainframes and moving more to a distributed grid of relatively low-cost nodes," he said.

Gardner, who said OS X's BSD kernel roots and Linux and Unix Relevant Products/Services from Sybase ASE Linux Express Edition – FREE heritage make it ideal for the Virginia Tech cluster, indicated the key to the newer grid approach is the technology layer above systems.

"Distributed networks of resources have a great potential to solve problems with the efficiency of lower-cost individual units," he said. "How resources are managed becomes the key."

Theres a lot of Geeks working to bring this technology to realization

ThothProd
Old 10-05-2004, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Rob,

Ovation is like applause, only better. Fletcher is an esoteric form of deep tissue massage that was big in the 80's? i think it's like Rolfing, only less internal organ manipulation. And Neve is when you are still, somehow, innocent enough to ask silly questions on message boards.

the rest: i have no idea what you are talking about, but if you'd like to place an order i will need your credit card number please.
.......ok.

If you didn't get it there is no way to explain it to you.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Fletcher is an esoteric form of deep tissue massage that was big in the 80's?
Yea, I think gravity was big in the '80's too.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:02 AM

Esoteric or not ....

All I know is I received a little email this morning that stated that Apple shipped my Logic Pro 7 vi FedEx today.......

And one of the good things about working at a larger company are Engineers who are intereseted in technology and have the resources to test said technology and see how it works in the "real world".

I must clarify that the "real world" that I'm working in is Audio Post Production .... not music.

We work on Pro Tools HD|Accel systems; however, I personally own Logic and am curious about the steps they have made toward the future.

And ... This point has been said many times, but can never be driven home enough:

Use what works for you. A very wise man by the name of Randy Thom has a very concise and wise mantra..."If it sounds good; it is good".

Cheers!
.:
naughty dog
Old 10-05-2004, 10:32 AM

Notice the Virginia Tech article was wrtten...9/03...Over a year ago...thats a long time in this kind of research...(And I do notice no one is responding to this info)...Just thougt it might be interesting to some of these psuedo techies...speaking on how this technology was not feasible...

Thothprod
Old 10-05-2004, 10:54 AM

For those that don't get over to the Logic-TDM Forum....it's happening all over

Good discussion !

My hope is that Digi and Apple realize they will benefit more by playing
together than attacking each other. Not likely though, that's not Apple's
usual way of doing things, or Digi's either. Only iTunes works with the
iPod for example; Digi control surfaces won't control Logic.

As Apple continues developing distributed processing for Logic, native will
become much more competitive with TDM. If Digi and Apple don't allow us to
use both together in a rock-solid dependable system, with important stuff
like ADC, eventually we'll have to make our choice of which way to go.
That's a choice I don't want to make. I like the combo of TDM & Logic -
when it works. But if it's crashing and corrupting and I have to guess at
delay compensation, I will have to go one way or the other. I prefer
Logic's way of working, but I need the low latency and high track count of
TDM.

The sad part about the whole thing is that neither company seems interested
in our feedback. They seem to believe that they know what's best for their
bottom line and have somehow left out a very important segment of their
customers.

- Dave

On 10/2/04 12:39 PM, "Lee Blaske" <[email protected]> wrote:

>
> Andy wrote:
>
>> Yeah, my thoughts exactly when I saw RTAS support was available to DP
>> users... As a Logic user I am a bit concerned Digi might pull the plug
>> on Apple's TDM support in case Apple takes significant part of their
>> market with FCP and now Logic, don't you think that might happen or is
>> there any legal barriers preventing them from terminating Emagic's,
>> sorry, Apple's license for TDM support?
>
> My gut feeling is that we don't need to worry yet. PT TDM is still
> predominantly on the Mac platform. Avid/Digidesign helps Apple sell a
> lot of hardware, and that certainly isn't lost on Apple. Also, it
> pays for Avid/Digidesign to stay on good terms with Apple so they get
> the support they need within the Mac OSX. For right now, I think
> we're in a good holding pattern.
>
> For the future, who knows? It does seem like Digidesign is trying to
> push the Windows side a bit harder these days. OTOH, it also seems
> like Digidesign is jumping into the high end control surface hardware
> business big time with Icon and now Venue. I think they realize the
> writing's on the wall, and that enormous amounts of profit cannot be
> made on dedicated audio hardware forever. Something like Logic in a
> G5 (or G6 or whatever the future holds) is going to increasingly be
> all that a lot of people need.
>
> Lee Blaske
>
>

UNSUBSCRIBE: send a blank email to [email protected]
Please email [email protected] to contact an admin.

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/logic-tdm/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
[email protected]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Exciting Times...

Thothprod