Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24

Old 01-03-2011, 07:28 AM

Default Control 24 PSU replacement instructions

Dear Avid or anyone:

My Control 24 power supply is behaving as Kenny Gioia described in the thread called "Blown Capacitor on the PSU Control 24", so I need to remove the PSU and return it to Avid for a $350 fix.

Before I deconstruct my desk and open up the back panel, does anyone happen to have a schematic or tip sheet on pulling the PSU?
Old 01-05-2011, 09:59 PM

Default Re: Control 24 PSU replacement instructions

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobson View Post
Dear Avid or anyone:

My Control 24 power supply is behaving as Kenny Gioia described in the thread called "Blown Capacitor on the PSU Control 24", so I need to remove the PSU and return it to Avid for a $350 fix.

Before I deconstruct my desk and open up the back panel, does anyone happen to have a schematic or tip sheet on pulling the PSU?
I have the pdf that they sent me but you should get in contact with them anyway. They'll be fixing it. Right?

Here it is:

http://sn.im/1s5or9-by4
Old 01-06-2011, 11:09 AM

Thanks a lot for taking the time to find that, Kenny.

Yes, they'll fix it for $350 or replace it for $500.

But first I'm going to swap out the capacitor at location C20, which someone over at gearslutz claims is the one that overheats. The C20 capacitor in my Rev H PSU is already rated for 105C, which is the highest temp rating I can find for a 4.7 MFD 50V capacitor, but I figure it's worth the ten minutes and ten cents to see if it gets me back on the road today (or tomorrow).

Thanks again for the pdf.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobson View Post
Thanks a lot for taking the time to find that, Kenny.

Yes, they'll fix it for $350 or replace it for $500.

But first I'm going to swap out the capacitor at location C20, which someone over at gearslutz claims is the one that overheats. The C20 capacitor in my Rev H PSU is already rated for 105C, which is the highest temp rating I can find for a 4.7 MFD 50V capacitor, but I figure it's worth the ten minutes and ten cents to see if it gets me back on the road today (or tomorrow).

Thanks again for the pdf.
Keep me posted.

Good luck.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:38 PM

No dice.

I've replaced the C20 cap and have the same symptoms as before. Back to Avid she goes. Thanks for your help.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:12 PM

Good luck with it.

My problem was fixed but now I think it's time to do the cleaning of the connectors.

She likes to give me a light show every once in a while. heh
Old 05-27-2015, 06:12 AM

Default Control 24 PSU schematic

Hello,
After a AC cord problem, I fried my Control 24's PSU. I replaced the T5A fuse on the circuit board but it blew again.
Then I found a forum suggesting to check that the switching PSU's FET transistor was not shorted. But that's beyond my skills...
Of course, this problem needs to get fixed in a hurry (and cheap, if possible) and I can't find anyone here in Paris who knows how to do it without me providing the schematic.
Does someone here still have the file mentionned in the previous posts ?
Thank you for all the help you can provide.
M
Old 05-27-2015, 06:27 AM

Not sure if this will help but this is the file.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...%20Upgrade.pdf
Old 07-05-2015, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
Not sure if this will help but this is the file.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...%20Upgrade.pdf
Hello,
For some reason, I didn't receive notification of your reply. Nevertheless, thank you ! Even though I managed to fix the board since then, I'm sure it might come in handy one day !
Old 07-05-2015, 03:02 AM

In case someone comes across the same switching power supply failure that I experienced recently after a main AC problem, here's a possible solution.
I removed the blown T5A fuse soldered on the circuit board and from there ran two wires to a standard fuse holder on the back of the PSU rear pannel, which implied drilling through two sheets of metal near the on-off switch. When I turned the board back on, the new fuse blew instantly.
Then I found some info about checking the PSU FET transistor, which turned out to be kinda loosely bolted onto its radiator (with no heatsink coumpound), meaning it had probably heated up badly, making it more likely to die when stressed. I replaced it (8€) and the board came back to life ! The specs at RadioSpare are SPW20N60S5, Canal-N, 20A, 600V, A-247.
Therefore, I strongly suggest to working Control 24 owners to open the PSU pannel and crank the **** out of all the bolts holding heating componants to their radiators, and if possible add heatsink coumpound everywhere !

Also know that I asked Skynet for the schematic of the PSU but they refused to send it to me as their hands are contractually tied by Avid...