Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces

Old 04-07-2014, 02:05 PM

Default ProTools, Blackmagic card, and new Mac Pro issues

So i'm having some major audio issues here and wanted to know if anyone else is experiencing the same or similar thing. I'm running a new Mac Pro and using a Blackmagic 4k Extreme decklink card which is connected by a external Sonnet PCI chassis that connects to my Mac Pro through Thunderbolt 2.

Ok so whenever I launch an application that really utilizes the card, like Pro Tools or Media Composer, my right speaker sounds distorted and horrible in the high end frequencies. Its horrible. Only in right speaker. I've troubleshooted every possible combination of changing out cables, power outlets, everything. Even tried a different Blackmagic card (Brand New!) that my work had sitting around. When i start up my machine the sound is fine but when i launch one of those apps thats when my audio sounds horrible. This is the case 99% of the time. Sometimes when i just start up my machine i have the distortion from the get-go before i launch any app. When no audio is playing there is no hissing, distortion, or noise coming out of my speaker.

Blackmagic wrote me yesterday saying...
Hi Drew,

We have noticed audio issues when connecting a DeckLink 4K Extreme through a PCIe to Thunderbolt Chassis to a new Mac Pro.

We do not recommend this setup since it seems that it is not compatible. You would be better of using one of our thunderbolt devices, such as the UltraStudio 4K, which is the same as the DeckLink 4K Extreme except it connects directly through thunderbolt.

You can try downgrading to Desktop Video 9.9.2. If that doesn't solve your issue, then the setup is simply not compatible.

Regards,

Adam Badlotto
Support Representative
Blackmagic Design Inc.
I find it hard to believe they can't come out with some sort of update to fix this. But instead are just telling me to buy ANOTHER 1K item from them..and hope for the best.

I'm even running Video Desktop 10.1 that came out today.

Any advice, comments, etc would be appreciated. Thanks!!
Old 04-08-2014, 08:50 AM

Default Re: ProTools, Blackmagic card, and new Mac Pro issues

Can you try the Magma Chassis?
http://felipousismix.wix.com/felipousismix

Open Core Mac Pro OSX Ventura | ProTools HD 2023.x | Merging HAPI ADA8 | UAD Quad PCIe | Kali IN-8 | Presonus Temblor 10 | Softube, SSL, Universal Audio, Slate Digital, McDSP, Fabfilter, Plugin Alliance among other plugins
Old 05-24-2014, 09:43 AM

Default Re: ProTools, Blackmagic card, and new Mac Pro issues

I just got the same setup and noticed the same problem. I just can't believe what Blackmagic told you... Not compatible? Why can't they just write better drivers like Aja does?? I also have other audio issues in Avid. This is just terrible