Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2016, 09:16 AM

Default Pro Tools First with Focusrite: How is this a "Pro" DAW

I wanted to give Pro Tools a shot but....

I spent 3-4 hours yesterday trying to get my Focusrite Scarlett to work with Pro Tools First. Every other DAW i have used which included my main one, Reaper, has never given me issues. Its been plug and play with Studio One, Reaper and Cubase but for some technical reason "Pro" Tools seems to be the only DAW that cant work i/O properly.

Ive searched the tread and forums for solutions but its evident that Avid clearly want you to invest into their major supporters. Ive heard things as far as its Focusrite and driver issues. Ive used Asio4All for these DAWs and come across no issues.

Im an IT and I've never seen such excuses from Avid. If Presonus, Reaper and Cubase can do it trouble free then so should AVID, the "industry" standard.

I really like the work flow and stock content that Pro Tools comes with and most my friends use it. I cant justify myself to upgrade all my Focusrite Scarlet interfaces just so i can have Pro Tools.
Old 06-12-2016, 03:51 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools First with Focusrite: How is this a "Pro" DAW

The problem is that so many other developers create Asio drivers that work with Pro Tools perfectly. For some reason Focusrite among a couple others (Behringer comes to mind) are having a TERRIBLE time getting drivers to work.

Blaming Avid and not the developer of the hardware drivers is obviously only half the problem when you have someone like RME and many others that build perfect working USB drivers for PT. Its also odd that Focusrite's Firewire drivers work great on Windows.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 06-12-2016, 04:02 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools First with Focusrite: How is this a "Pro" DAW

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelray1284 View Post
I wanted to give Pro Tools a shot but....

I spent 3-4 hours yesterday trying to get my Focusrite Scarlett to work with Pro Tools First. Every other DAW i have used which included my main one, Reaper, has never given me issues. Its been plug and play with Studio One, Reaper and Cubase but for some technical reason "Pro" Tools seems to be the only DAW that cant work i/O properly.

Ive searched the tread and forums for solutions but its evident that Avid clearly want you to invest into their major supporters. Ive heard things as far as its Focusrite and driver issues. Ive used Asio4All for these DAWs and come across no issues.

Im an IT and I've never seen such excuses from Avid. If Presonus, Reaper and Cubase can do it trouble free then so should AVID, the "industry" standard.

I really like the work flow and stock content that Pro Tools comes with and most my friends use it. I cant justify myself to upgrade all my Focusrite Scarlet interfaces just so i can have Pro Tools.
Pro Tools First is not ever going to be considered to be a "pro" DAW. That should be obvious from the feature stripping/limitations in it's use. C'mon can't open existing sessions, can't reuse plugins you already own, can't save sessions locally, no clip gain, awkwardly dumbed down UI, and on and on. Its' a horribly mis-marketed joke.

And ASIO4ALL is also a joke. Unless you had to to work around some problem why would you use an ASIO4ALL interface driver for an interfaces that have native ASIO drivers. And the corollary is don't buy any interfaces that don't have good native ASIO drivers. Wrapping WDM drivers with ASIO4ALL is a band-aid at best. And that is not just a Pro Tools limitation.

If you want help here from other Pro Tools users you are posting to the wrong forums session and not providing *any* useful/expected details of your problem or system setup. Start at the "help use help you" link up the top of every DUC web page and post to the Pro Tools First forum section. Complaining to most Pro Tool users about First will likely not get you anywhere. Few if any folks here are going to be using it.