Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 11-03-1999, 09:37 PM

Default Talkback

Any of you ProTools whizzes have a suggestion for the best way you have found to handle talkback to the musicians through their headphones?

In other words, without a console with built-in talkback, do you just put a microphone with an on/off switch into one of the I/O ports on your interface and use an Aux Send, or what?
Old 11-04-1999, 06:10 PM

Default Re: Talkback

Believe it or not, I simply bought a cheap sound card (Ensoniq PCI) from Fry's (a local electronics superstore) for $10. Most "sound blaster compatible" cards have a mic input, line in and line out. I run a stereo pair out of my 882/20 to the line in (using an adapter cable), and a cheap computer mic in the control room to the mic input. This saves me a precious input on my interface for more important things. The line out goes to the snake and to the musicians headphones. Using stereo sends and a master fader sourced from that send and routed to the cue output pair will let you build an independent stereo cue. The sound card came with a software "mixer" which is user configurable and has separate controls for mic, line, synth, wave, cd audio, and master level. It also feature a mute switch for each fader. I simply mute and unmute the mic when as needed. The only frustrating thing is that I have to click back onto PT to make it the active application before any of the keyboard commands will work. However, I'm going to insert a switch in line w/ the mic that will let me keep the mic unmuted and prevent this annoyance. Incidentally, the sound card has wavetable synthesis and wavesets including a drum set. You can assign the PT metronome to trigger a click, bypassing the need for a midi sound module. Furthermore, you can buy a simple game port to midi adapter cable to use the card as a simple yet effective midi interface for external midi gear. Hope this helps ya out. It solved all these issues for me for less than $25.

[This message has been edited by beggehorn (edited 11-04-99).]
Intel i9-10980xe
64 GB DDR4 3200 RAM
Matrox C420
Avid Artist Mix
Old 11-06-1999, 03:57 PM

Thanks. That's just the kind of already-invented-the-wheel advice I was looking for.

I'm plum out of open PCI slots. The Mac G-3 comes with only 4, and I've got a video card, PTIII PCI Disk I/O, DSP Farm, and ATTO SCSI card.

But I think I can use parts of what you've done to come up with something that should work.

I wonder if anybody else has any ideas.

Thanks, Dave
Old 11-06-1999, 04:42 PM

doesn't your mac have a built in sound card w/ a mike input and line i/o?
Intel i9-10980xe
64 GB DDR4 3200 RAM
Matrox C420
Avid Artist Mix
Old 11-11-1999, 07:59 AM

I have the new Digi001, so I don't know if
this will work with your system. I leave a
mic plugged in to the preamp 1 for vocalists,
and a mic plugged into the preamp 2 for me
in the control room. The first thing I do
when I open a project, is dedicate the first
channel to "talkback". Then, I just record
enable every time I want to talk to the booth.
Of course, you have to watch the mic position
so you don't get feedback. That's my fix.
See ya. KW
Old 11-17-1999, 12:14 AM

Check Studio Technologies Inc. They have at least two sistems that solve your problem and also have solutions to the control room monitoring. The phone is (847) 982-0747.
Old 11-21-1999, 04:14 PM

Hi, I think all of these ideas re fabulous. I just want to know if using the computor mic would work for me. I have a 7600/132 with PT3 and an 888/io.I currently use an input on my console, assigned to the "stereo mix" wich is a pain in the rear, because, First, the person in the booth gets what ever I'm doing in the control room !(cant solo, or bring things up or down without affecting him). Second, I have to worry about feedbalk and sometimes the level is not hot enough for them to hear.
and Third, Im eating up an input I'm going need pretty soon.
Any suggestions on using the older CB style "lollypop Mics". Their on/off grip would work great. comment please?
(connector???, to what input?????)

[This message has been edited by noize (edited 11-21-99).]
Old 11-22-1999, 07:20 AM

David,
You have it right! Mic/aux send -droid