Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 08-25-2013, 01:58 PM

Default upgrade from LE to PT10/11 - Installation Confusion

I've been running PT LE 8.0.4 on a MacBook Pro, recently upgraded my OS to 10.8.4. I'm retiring my old 002 Rack and will be using a Steinberg UR22 as interim while I save up for a more full featured hardware interface. Yesterday I went to Guitar Center, purchased the $399 crossgrade from LE to PT10/11 and bought the iLok 2. Back in studio I went to the Avid website "Download and activate My Products" page, entered the code I was given, authorized my software, downloaded the new iLok 2 License Manager from the iLok website, activated my new licenses. Then went back to Avid website - on the "Your Products" page it shows the list with individual download links for PT11, PT10, Air Creative Collection and Avid Virtual Instruments and related docs.

I followed the recommendation and did a Clean Uninstall of my PT8, then individually downloaded both versions of PT plus the Air Collection and Virtual Instruments using the Download Manager. I was prompted at the start of each download to choose a location folder - the default location the download manager chose was the "Digidesign" folder in my Applications. This seemed weird to me as I was expecting an Avid folder, thought "Digidesign" was a thing of the past. Nonetheless, I went with the default install locations, so now I have what would seem to be install docs for both versions of PT and the Air and VI's.

I assume that double clicking on each one will begin the Install process. I haven't yet opened any of these docs because I have some questions/concerns:

1 - The download files have simple document icons and have titles like "Pro_Tools_10_3_6_Mac_79549". Non of these files are 'dot-dmg' files, which is what I would have expected. Two 'dot-dmg' files are in the "Digidesign" folder and I'm wondering if these are in fact what I should be opening first. But the titles of these 2 dmg files are:

Pro_Tools_LE_804_Updater_67045.dmg
003Factory_PFP_bundle_v80_60290.dmg

Both have creation dates of 2010 and I'm thinking these are just leftover install docs from when I did my last PT upgrade.

2 - Does it matter which version of PT - 10 or 11 - I install first?

3 - Should both versions really reside in the same "Digidesign" folder?

4 - Shouldn't the Air Collection and the VI's be in a separate Plug-Ins folder?

This upgrade process seems more involved and less intuitive than I would have expected and I have the feeling that I may have missed something, so I thought it might be a good idea to get some feedback here before I start the next round of pointing and clicking. Thanks very much for reading and considering.
Pro Tools 12.8
Apogee Duet 2
Glyph Drives + Blackmagic dock with Samsung SSDs
Reason 10, Ivory II, BFD3, Finale
Plugins: Kush, Kontakt, Komplete Ultimate, Exponential Audio, Waves, Slate, Fab Filter, TDR, Pultec Bundle, Bomb Factory, UVI Workstation, Sonnox, Soundtoys, Massey, Valhalla, Aether, PhoenixVerb, etc...
also 17" MacBook Pro w Core i7, OSX 10.9.4
Old 08-25-2013, 02:45 PM

Lightbulb Re: upgrade from LE to PT10/11 - Installation Confusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticker View Post
1 - The download files have simple document icons and have titles like "Pro_Tools_10_3_6_Mac_79549". Non of these files are 'dot-dmg' files, which is what I would have expected.
Append .dmg to them and see what happens.

Quote:
Two 'dot-dmg' files are in the "Digidesign" folder and I'm wondering if these are in fact what I should be opening first. But the titles of these 2 dmg files are:

Pro_Tools_LE_804_Updater_67045.dmg
003Factory_PFP_bundle_v80_60290.dmg

Both have creation dates of 2010 and I'm thinking these are just leftover install docs from when I did my last PT upgrade.
Do not use those installers. They are the update to v8.0.4LE and v8 of the 003 factory bundle.

Quote:
2 - Does it matter which version of PT - 10 or 11 - I install first?
No.

Quote:
3 - Should both versions really reside in the same "Digidesign" folder?
They can, though they do not have to.

Quote:
4 - Shouldn't the Air Collection and the VI's be in a separate Plug-Ins folder?
The content will be in a separate folder. The plug-ins will be buried within the Library folder.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:16 PM

Default Re: upgrade from LE to PT10/11 - Installation Confusion

Jonathan - Thanks for the reply. Very helpful - I did as you said, added the dot-dmg to the file names and they all changed to standard download files. I installed PT10 first, then the air Collection and Avid VI's. Everything went smoothly, I booted up PT10: all my plug-ins were recognized and previous PT 8 session files opened and played without a hitch.

So then I installed PT 11, spent the rest of the afternoon updating plugins as able, dealing with iLok registration stuff, etc. Long, tedious story short: all my plugins are available within PT11 now except for the Waves stuff, which I understand is not yet AAX compatible.

So far I've encountered some playback problems with PT11, keep getting the "PT ran out of CPU power, try deactivating or removing native plugins (-9173)" popup. This is happening with only 2 air verbs instantiated and a single instance of UVI (I downloaded the latest, AAX approved version of UVI and it works great in PT10, but having issues in PT11). Funny thing is that the CPU and disk meters are showing no strain at all each time the program stops playing. Can't do anymore today, will continue experimenting with it tomorrow...

But at least Im up and running with PT10 and it seems stable, so I can get some work done again! Thanks for the assist.
Pro Tools 12.8
Apogee Duet 2
Glyph Drives + Blackmagic dock with Samsung SSDs
Reason 10, Ivory II, BFD3, Finale
Plugins: Kush, Kontakt, Komplete Ultimate, Exponential Audio, Waves, Slate, Fab Filter, TDR, Pultec Bundle, Bomb Factory, UVI Workstation, Sonnox, Soundtoys, Massey, Valhalla, Aether, PhoenixVerb, etc...
also 17" MacBook Pro w Core i7, OSX 10.9.4