Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 02-11-2012, 09:07 AM

Default Pro Tools weird CPU issue

I run Pro Tools on a Mac Mini i7 Quad, 8 GB RAM. Even if i use a really small session i have the system consuming as much cpu as it needs to start the fans...

Here is a screenshot of the problem. This session uses nothing - 2 tracks with audio on it, 2 used busses...

But the thing is - Pro Tools CPU Meter shows no usage - is i`d expect. System meter goes crazy about Pro Tools.

I don`t get it. Anyone has an idea?

Old 02-11-2012, 12:09 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools weird CPU issue

No explanation but i have almost exactly the same problem. Did you have this problem with protools 9 ?

How do you do the screenshot on the mac?

One person suggested deleting protools preferences ?

Lets keep talking !
Old 02-11-2012, 12:36 PM

Hi. Just found this video on youtube an app that helps you delete and manage your preference file.

I have seen a number of references to it being the source of errors !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anbEY...e_gdata_player

Matt
Old 02-12-2012, 01:12 AM

Hi Matt,
so i am not alone...
First - i did the screenshot using this software:
http://www.realmacsoftware.com/littlesnapper/

You can set up a keyboard shortcut for snapping the screen. That also works if Pro Tools or any other software is running.

Second - i downloaded this tool:
http://www.jcdeshaies.com/

Though i assume it does nothing else that providing you a easier way to thrash things that doing it by hand it`s very handy.

It kinda helped… but i do get this problem from time to time now:
http://f.cl.ly/items/051S282Y2C251u1...ro%20Tools.png

I can solve it by restarting and using other audio hardware, so there seems to abe a solution for that.

Pro Tools itself now only consumes 30% CPU in the system monitor instead of 120% but still zero in it`s own cpu meter…

Can anyone confirm that Pro Tools CPU meter and system metering go hand in hand ice everything is running as promised?

I had this with Pro Tools 9, too - i did not think about it any more then because the 10 upgrade came out at that time…

EDIT: I found one more thing: Once you push Pro Tools over a CPU usage of 2005 (system meter) it is not able to go under 100% even if it´s running a really small session like the one above - 2 tracks, 2 axes... or even if Pro Tools runs empty with no session... This is not a preference issue i suppose...

Best,
Florian
Old 02-12-2012, 06:42 AM

HI,

Not alone just half way round the world !

I have read that cpu usage can exceed 100% if you have more than 1 processer which sounds illogical but understandable.

Here is a url for mac maintenance which may be part of the solution ?
http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...p?DocId=349059

I am frustrated with protools as when i purchased PT10 it included a support call but it was time limited and now they don't honour it !

Hello avid that is not good customer service !

So lets keep in touch. I took my imac in for a diagnostic. I'll let you know tge results too !

Matt
Old 02-12-2012, 06:46 AM

Ps i read in a sound on sound article that protools session cpu is not showing the native host info. The activity monitor shows the true totals. But they should be related!
Old 02-12-2012, 09:19 AM

What is half the world in this modern times?

I see the suggestions they make in the link you posted. Will try everything, but i am afraid that is not part of the problem, too.

What i do at the moment is a complete reinstall of the Mac Mini. On my Macbook Pro everything runs nice (no CPU spikes, usage goes to normal after i pushed it over 200%)

If the PT meter is not reflecting the OS usage (what i can understand) the systems activity monitor should not show Pro Tools... or there is some strange cpu thing going on with PT and the OS, that PT can`t see....

Can feel the frustration, too. I love the workflow in PT... two things i think about now - quit using Pro Tools (but what then?) - or invest in something like HD... but Apple seems not to come up with nice new Mac Pro...
Old 02-13-2012, 11:17 AM

How many computer cores is protools seeing in the playback engine setup screen ? try to use less core with protools just to see if it fixes the problem.

What version of osx are you running ?

Maybe before going into a brand new install you should clear system caches with a software like titanium software maintenance.

Best luck,

hitting apple + shift + 3 will perform a screenshot and put it on the desktop.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:06 PM

Hi thanks ,

I just had my imac checked at store with apple diagnostic and its fine. Reran same session that was 170cpu% and it didn't go above 130. Unitantiated SSD4 and used SSD3.5 EX cpu fell to about 100 %

i notice that each SSD4 kit is about a gig in size so that only leaves 2 gigs for Protools at 32 bit.

Did anyone compare protools 9 and 10 cpu% ?

Is tritium shareware or for fee ?

I had cleanmymac reccomended too !
Old 02-20-2012, 07:58 PM

The CPU (Native) meter shows how much processor power Pro Tools is using for Native audio tasks. This scale is from 0% to 100%, where 100% equals however many cores you have dedicated to processing, as set in Setup-->Playback Engine.

The CPU meter in Activity Monitor indicates how many CPU cycles a process is using. When Pro Tools is open with an empty session, it has nothing to do with audio, so the CPU (Native) meter would be low. However, Pro Tools itself has plenty to do (windows, menus, etc.) so it will have some sort of percentage in Activity Monitor.

In Activity Monitor, the maximum percentage a process can have (in theory) is 100 * # of cores. So if you have a 4-core system, the maximum CPU usage of a process would be 400%. This would indicate that it is using all 4 cores. It is not uncommon for Pro Tools to use more than 100% of CPU power, which simply means it's using more than one core to do it's work.