Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 01-11-2014, 10:37 AM

Default LE 8 on win7: editor windows don't always maximise or come to the front

this is my main problem with pro tools le and the reason i switched to propellerhead reason. i am running win 7 64 (had the problem with win 7 32 also), mini mbox 2 and PTLE 8.05:the main editor windows don't always open properly, eg i hit ctrl= to switch between mixer and editor windows and sometimes the window remains minimised and i have to double click the
minimised window icon to fully open it. also when double clicking a midi region the same thing happens with the midi editor window, it just doesn't open properly.

TBH other aspects of LE8 aren't great either eg when i select loop playback i sometimes have to stop playback and start again for looping to start but it should just start looping as soon as it reaches the end marker. All other DAWs i have used work like this - its a very basic piece of functionality which should work better in PT.

Maybe these things are not evident on a mac but i don't own a mac i'm afraid. I would like to upgrade to PT 10 or even 11 (not sure if 11 works with mini mbox 2?) but if these probs haven't been addressed its a deal breaker for me. Are these common problems?

additional info:
i have installed PTLE 8 multiple times on more than 1 PC and i always get the same problem. i can't believe i'm the only that has experienced this so i would be grateful if someone can confirm they get the same problems.

Last edited by Calon; 01-11-2014 at 12:47 PM. Reason: adding info
Old 01-12-2014, 03:38 AM

Default Re: LE 8 on win7: editor windows don't always maximise or come to the front

i have figured out what is going on: if an editor window is minimised
the kb shortcut eg ctrl= will only bring the minimised window to the front ie it doesn't maximise it as well so minimising windows is to be avoided if u want the kb shortcut to take u to a fully opened window. most daws just take u into an opened window ie the way it should be - Reason is great for accessing the the mixer,sequencer: F5, F7 etc and u can even separate them so they are like separate applications so u can alt-tab between them or easily drag them onto 2 monitors, why can't PT be like that?

later post:
u can bring up the mix and editor windows using separate window config shortcuts
eg create a windows config say for the mixer then use period + [assigned config number ie 1,2,3 etc] + asterisk on numeric keypad

Last edited by Calon; 01-13-2014 at 03:12 PM. Reason: ADDING INFO
Old 01-13-2014, 04:05 PM

Default Re: LE 8 on win7: editor windows don't always maximise or come to the front

You can easily run PT on two monitors with the edit window on one, and the mix window on the other. Plugins come up on floating windows that can be placed anywhere.
Open PT, and before opening a session, drag the right side of the desktop across both monitors. Now open a session and drag the edit or mix window onto the other monitor and resize to taste. The layout will be remembered on exit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010376cropSMALL.jpg (89.8 KB, 0 views)
Dell Precision 490 Workstation, dual 4 core 5355 Xeon, 16gb Samsung DDR2 ECC Ram - Windows 7 Ultimate - Nvidia GTX 650 - 3 x Internal WD Blacks - PT 2018.3 - Digi 002R - Original Mackie HUI - JBL Monitoring.
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790 - 24gb RAM - Windows 10 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB with Studio driver 451.48- Internal WD Black, Samsung 860, and MSATA card - Davinci Resolve 16.2.3.015 - Canon HF G40