Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2005, 04:00 AM

Default Protools newbie help!

I have Protools Le and Mbox and am a little daunted! but i want to give it a try as PT is the industry standard etc and want to see what all the fuss is about!

Anyway i come from using Sonic Foundry Acid which i could fly around working entirely in Audio, now i know it may seem stupid but can PTLE do all that im used to with Acid and more? Acid's mixdowns are pretty basic and PTLE has all the mastering plug ins etc so that sounds better all ready!

Anyone else come from a Acid background and gone onto PT? I just loved the way Acid locked all Audio in time with everything else you are working on, at the time. Can PT do this? as i know it has a TC/E tool that stretches audio and loops but what about pitch on "the fly"? in Acid it was a single keypress to get audio in key while it was running, but from what ive seen PTLE has a standard tuning plugin that doesnt look as hands on and quick?

How easy is it to construct loops in PT and work that way? and is the MIDI sequencing side better in 6.7? Also i would love to be able to mixdown entirely in PTLE and get rid of my Mixing desk and DAT - as other programs dont still seem to be good enough for rendering, as opposed to outboard gear...

Do you all mix entirely in PT and is it as good as hardware?

Thanks in advance (sorry for all the Questions!)as im dying to find out what all the hype is about! and bring me out of the dark ages with a Mixing desk and a DAT Recorder and dump Acid altogether!!
Old 03-31-2005, 05:58 AM

Default Re: Protools newbie help!

Hey Buckaroo...

Welcome to the world of PT..
This book is a must have. Read it from front to back and you will be enlightened.

http://www.berkleemusic.com/store/pr...oduct_id=11423

Worth every cent.

-mark
Old 04-01-2005, 12:47 AM

Default Re: Protools newbie help!

Ok thanks will check that book out..

Anyone else with any thoughts???