Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2013, 11:59 AM

Default iLok problem after PT 10.3.4 install

I just upgraded to Pro Tools 10.3.4, from 10.3.3, and now my iLok licenses are not recognized. I have the latest Pace driver and client software installed, and the licenses show up on my iLok when I sync my iLok account with the dongle.

I uninstalled PT 10.3.4 and re-installed 10.3.3 (which worked yesterday), and now it behaves the same way, saying:

Quote:
Authorization Error

Pro Tools 10 cannot run. Required software is missing or not running. Please reinstall the product, or download and run the driver installer here: http://www.paceap.com
and then:

Quote:
Error, missing iLok authorization for "Pro Tools 10". Please insert the necessary iLok and restart Pro Tools.
I tried the iLok in my other computer with Pro Tools 10.3.2 and it works fine. If anyone has a solution, I'd greatly appreciate it - session starting shortly...

I'm on OS 10.8.2
Old 03-27-2013, 12:10 PM

Default Re: iLok problem after PT 10.3.4 install

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottgreiner View Post
I just upgraded to Pro Tools 10.3.4, from 10.3.3, and now my iLok licenses are not recognized. I have the latest Pace driver and client software installed, and the licenses show up on my iLok when I sync my iLok account with the dongle.

I uninstalled PT 10.3.4 and re-installed 10.3.3 (which worked yesterday), and now it behaves the same way, saying:

and then:

I tried the iLok in my other computer with Pro Tools 10.3.2 and it works fine. If anyone has a solution, I'd greatly appreciate it - session starting shortly...

I'm on OS 10.8.2
Ouch. I bounced a couple of times back and forth between 10.3.3 and 10.3.4 doing safe uninstalls and all that happened was when PT first started up after an install and up popped the registration screen which effectively said that because I registered my copy of PT online I was good to go. The last time I installed 10.3.4 I did it via a clean install because I was having some problems with -50 errors. Did a clean uninstall of 10.3.4 and then did a reinstall of 10.3.4, repaired permissions (which I did before after every new install) and was good to go. No iLok errors.

Going to suggest a couple of things. Wipe out your current iLok drivers, repair permissions, reboot, install freshly downloaded iLok drivers. Do a clean uninstall of whatever PT version you have, reinstall 10.3.4, do a repair permissions after your computer reboots, and see what happens. Nice thing with clean uninstalls is you don't have to reload any third party plugs you have.

Found out what I think the problem was with the -50 errors - the sample drive I had was going bad and finally went south on me. It's at Glyph being looked at as I type. Hopefully they can pull the sample data off to another drive. I do have the dvd's to reload all that but if I don't have to spend the time doing the reinstall - that'd be great.

QAPLA!
Old 03-27-2013, 12:16 PM

Hi,

Try trashing the pace anti piracy folder from the Library /Application support folder.

Back it up first to another driver partition just incase!!!!

Also user/library/prefs/com. pace ilok client trash this!

Re-download the ilok drivers and install.

repair disk permission

reboot and test.

Could also try another Admin account if above fails

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Hi,

Try trashing the pace anti piracy folder from the Library /Application support folder.

Back it up first to another driver partition just incase!!!!

Also user/library/prefs/com. pace ilok client trash this!

Re-download the ilok drivers and install.

repair disk permission

reboot and test.

Could also try another Admin account if above fails

Chris
Thanks Chris, unfortunately non of those things helped.

Since we know it's not a physical iLok problem (see above - I even moved the licenses to another iLok with the same results), I have to believe it's a communication problem between the iLok software and Pro Tools. Since PT10.3.3 worked; 10.3.4 hosed me; and now 10.3.3 doesn't work anymore after uninstalls and reinstalls, it must be something outside of the Pro Tools package that gets installed. I reinstalled all of the iLok "stuff" as well.

Session cancelled for today
Old 03-27-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Thanks Chris, unfortunately non of those things helped.

Since we know it's not a physical iLok problem (see above - I even moved the licenses to another iLok with the same results), I have to believe it's a communication problem between the iLok software and Pro Tools. Since PT10.3.3 worked; 10.3.4 hosed me; and now 10.3.3 doesn't work anymore after uninstalls and reinstalls, it must be something outside of the Pro Tools package that gets installed. I reinstalled all of the iLok "stuff" as well.

Session cancelled for today
Hi,

Strange i would have though that would sort it.

I guess an uninstall and re-install of Pro Tools to re-fresh all the files

Try running the combo updater for the OS to make sure all the OS is correct

Thats all i can think of

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:57 PM

OK, here's what I found - by uninstalling the latest Pace everything, and uninstalling Pro Tools 10.3.4, I then did a clean PT install using only the Pace installs that come with the ProTools installer (not the latest/greatest from their site). All is well - only 1 day of lost work.

Can this be logged as a possible bug and looked into, so others don't suffer the same issue?
Old 03-27-2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:
OK, here's what I found - by uninstalling the latest Pace everything, and uninstalling Pro Tools 10.3.4, I then did a clean PT install using only the Pace installs that come with the ProTools installer (not the latest/greatest from their site). All is well - only 1 day of lost work.

Can this be logged as a possible bug and looked into, so others don't suffer the same issue?
If it's a bug it's not a widespread one. There's Pace installers that come with the PT installer? I've not seen them.

QAPLA!
Old 03-27-2013, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
There's Pace installers that come with the PT installer? I've not seen them.
Well, I completely de-installed all Pace stuff on this computer, then re-installed Pro Tools, and it works. So it seems that Pro Tools can communicate with the iLok somehow. I'm not super up on all of the inner workings of Pace, but I'm happy I can now get back to work and earn a living
Old 03-28-2013, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Well, I completely de-installed all Pace stuff on this computer, then re-installed Pro Tools, and it works. So it seems that Pro Tools can communicate with the iLok somehow. I'm not super up on all of the inner workings of Pace, but I'm happy I can now get back to work and earn a living
Did you maybe have Pace stuff installed in multiple areas of your computer? Installers have a weird propensity of putting things in odd places on a Mac - some in the Shared folder, some in the user's Home folder and some in the main System folder. I've actually had some installers put apps in my user's Home Apps folder and not the main Apps folder for example. And I've successfully had different versions of the same program in both Apps folders.

QAPLA!
Old 03-29-2013, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Did you maybe have Pace stuff installed in multiple areas of your computer? Installers have a weird propensity of putting things in odd places on a Mac - some in the Shared folder, some in the user's Home folder and some in the main System folder. I've actually had some installers put apps in my user's Home Apps folder and not the main Apps folder for example. And I've successfully had different versions of the same program in both Apps folders.
Nothing strange like that. I did notice that after de-installing all Pace software, and then re-installing Pro Tools, the Pace folders in the Library/App' Support reappeared. I guess Pro Tools installers do install some Pace stuff.