Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 05-01-2012, 10:39 AM

Unhappy Mbox Pro 3 issue with Pro Tools 10 on Mac OSX

Ok, so I REALLY need some help here because I am running out of things to try and I am beginning to lose all hope. I recently purchased an Mbox Pro 3 with Pro Tools 10 installed (to the latest update) and have had nothing but problems since I upgraded to this new Mbox. Honestly, I feel like my Mbox 2 was much better quality than the Mbox Pro 3 which I feel like should not be the case seeing how much more expensive it is.

(Before I continue, let me just list the materials that I am using)
- Mbox Pro 3
- Neumann TLM 103 Microphone
- Krk Rokit 8 Studio Monitors
- Pro Tools 10 Running on OSX

The issue I am having is with the output on my speakers. The quality just seems so messed up now and everything is distorted and I feel like I have tried everything! First off, the quality of my recordings sound horrible now. How could this be? Surely the Mbox Pro 3 can not be producing a worse sound than the Mbox 2 right? And the neumann microphone I am using is very high end so I know the quality can not be lacking with that field because the vocals sounded so crisp and pristine when I was using it with my Mbox 2 as well as the speakers. I am using the Krk Rokit speakers as my main output source on the computer (i.e. iTunes, garageband, protools) and have never had a problem doing so before with my previous Mbox but now, everything I play just sounds like its coming from a crappy pair of speakers and not the might quality that these Krk Rokit's previously were producing. The even give off this annoying loud static noise when nothing is being played where as when I use to play them on the Mbox 2, they were absolutely silent and played everything flawlessly so my question is this, is there something that I am doing wrong with my Mbox Pro 3 or is the Mbox 2 really just a better amp? Please let me know as I am very desperate for answers at the moment
Old 05-01-2012, 02:13 PM

Default Re: Mbox Pro 3 issue with Pro Tools 10 on Mac OSX

There's obviously something wrong here. This is not normal. My first guess is a bad firewire cable. Or it's plugged onto a firewire hub which can cause problems. The firewire cables that have come with Avid units are notoriously crappy.

Can you tell us exactly how things are hooked up?
Old 05-01-2012, 06:37 PM

First off, I really appreciate you responding. Im really stuck here with what to do and am desperate for help.

So I have my Microphone hooked up to the back of my Mbox via Input 3 with just a standard silver tip microphone cable. I also have a 2TB external hard drive plugged into the back of the Mbox via firewire for my pro tools sessions. The two Krk Rokit monitors are plugged into a Krk 10 Subwoofer which is then plugged into the back of the Mbox as well via Outputs 1 and 2 with two quarter inch cables.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:26 PM

You're supposed to hook it up computer ----- hard drives ------ m box. Try it that way and see if things improve.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:16 PM

That is the recommended way. Some people have had success doing it your way as well, but definitely try computer>hard drive>Mbox Pro.

Try to be patient and get this worked out, it will be worth it. When you finally get it straightened out and hear how good the new Mbox sounds, you will be very happy. It really is light years ahead of the old one, and many other interfaces as well.

There is also the remote possibility that you have a defective unit. But certainly try all the troubleshooting you can before contacting your dealer.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:24 PM

Ok I will give that a try but just to make sure I'm clear, so you're saying to run a firewire from the computer to the hard drive and one from the hard drive directly to the Mbox as opposed to the hard drive just being hooked up to the Mbox?