Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > Pro Tools Express on Windows

Old 04-12-2015, 07:47 AM

Default Plug in and recording questions

I own a Pro Tools express which seems not to have any distortion machines other than the standard distortion which sucks if you ask me. + I dont see any drum machines WTF?!

So i moved one. I got an amp, can i connect my amp with my interface via a cable that has such ( http://www.tvcables.co.uk/images/ite...k-plug-trs.jpg ) holes? I dont want to buy, because i found out that i should buy(wtf?) plugins for the Express and i want to work with my amp.
Old 04-12-2015, 09:36 AM

Some details would help.

Distortion machine? You mean a distortion effects pedal plugin for a guitar or what exactly?

You want to record playing what? A guitar though a guitar amp? What exact amp? You normally need a microphone, some amps have a direct line output.

The best way to work with a guitar or bass with Pro Tools is probably with an Eleven Rack interface (or with an Axe FX as an interface if you want more flexibility).

I am sure Express has at least a basic beats VI but nothing you would want to use seriously as a VI drum kit for most music, so yes you would normally purchase one seperatly, like Toontracks EZ Drummer or Superior Drummer, or any number of other great drum VIs, and you would then get something better than what is included free with some DAWs. Pro Tools Express is an old effectively dead product, to be replaced soon with Pro Tools | First. But it sounds like you would be better off with something like Garage Band (or Logic Pro X with it's new Drummer support) which does all you seem to be asking for and will get you being productive much faster than with Pro Tools. Pro Tools excels at recording and mixing, post production, high-end professional workflows, etc., not at music creation or ease of getting started.

Avid have the Eleven Rack effect pedals combining as plugins but the details/costs are not clear, you get similar capabilities with Garage Band even on an iPad. Or look at any other number of DAWs like Studio One on Windows, and/or third party packages like Guitar Rig, Bias, BFD, Superior Drummer, etc., etc. There is a *huge* amount of tools out there, you have to sort out what you need before you start buying stuff.
Old 04-12-2015, 11:14 AM

Default Re: Plug in and recording questions

I cant do on Pro Tools Express this ( http://i.imgur.com/qZAX1L1.png ) so i decided i want to chain my guitar with my Fast Trak Solo and my Flextone 3.
As for drums, no way. There are none. And i dont use iPad
Old 04-12-2015, 11:28 AM

Is there a question here? How about writing in plain readable English?

What does a Guitar Pro MIDI acoustic guitar synth have to do with tracking a live (presumably Electric) guitar?

Your Flextone amp has PA/recording outputs that can be connected to line inputs on your interface. Read the documentation for your amp. You may still get better tone by recording via a microphone in front of the speaker. You may also get better tone out of any of the well regarded guitar amp sims, Eleven, Guitar Rig, Bias, etc.

Pro Tools Express does include Boom a simple drum/rhythm sequencer. But not likely what you want.