Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2004, 04:04 PM

Default Line 6 POD xt or Behringer V-Amp Pro ... ?

Hi all!

Just after opinions on these amp simulators! I'm using a yamaha DG stomp at the moment - great clean sound but the dirty sound is not so good! Had anyone used either the Line 6 POD xt or Behringer V-Amp Pro? What y'all think? Any other good ones I haven't considered?

All feedback appreciated

Doogz
Old 03-15-2004, 04:55 PM

Default Re: Line 6 POD xt or Behringer V-Amp Pro ... ?

Forget those two and get the Vox Tonelab. www.voxamps.co.uk
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 03-15-2004, 05:44 PM

Me likes Vamp Pro over em all, but still wouldn't use ANY amp modeller for a final dirty/distorted traack that was "up front," unless for some special effect (like someone cutting a guitar in half with a chainsaw ).

However, I have heard that NomadFactory's amp sim is going to be the one that changes my mind...if it ever gets finished...
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 03-15-2004, 06:13 PM

Hello, Doogz. I can't tell you anything about the V-Amp but my PODxt holds a very special place in my heart. Nothing can truly compare to a cranked amp but for apartment dwellers like me this is a great boon. And once you include the tones in a good sounding mix it's hard to tell. For the amount of money you pay ($400 or so) it's amazing how good the sounds are. Also amazing is how tweakable it is. It can probably be improved but for that price I'm not complaining. I also use my PODxt live - POD into mixer into power amp into Mesa Boogie 2X12 cab or just straight into the PA and it's great. Another plus is the FBV Shortboard (around $270) which makes life really pleasant for an FX freak like me. You may have to do a lot of pre-programming to get all the effect combos you want and the wah doesn't do much for me (I still use my Vox). But the quality of sound combined with the variety and flexibility I get out of my POD & FBV have made it one of the best gear investments I've ever made, without question.

I'd suggest demoing one at your local Guitar Center or wherever against a V-Amp for comparison.

Go to my mp3 page to hear some recordings I've done with it.

Good luck!
Old 03-16-2004, 01:19 PM

I've tried both been playing for over 25 years - And I have to say the Behringer V-AMP Pro takes the cake - The clean tones are stellar and the distortion is insane - I play mostly in clean with a very thick tone - You cant beat the price either - Actually the tones I am getting from a session now are better then miking my Twin Reverb - Can't go wrong with V-AMP at half the price of the POD (Dont be fooled by it being plastic - It smokes)...
Old 03-17-2004, 10:21 AM

I've got both... I prefer the V-amp Pro and it's half the price.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Forget those two and get the Vox Tonelab. www.voxamps.co.uk
Don't forget Podxt, it's a very good amp simulator for both home and professional studios.
Old 03-18-2004, 06:31 AM

Vamp- by far. Got the the Ridiculously shaped(gtr-like) unit. DOnt be fooled. SOunds great- works great. Iv'e tried many -NONE have the warmth(for me) that I get from that cheap little box. Got the rack -monunt Pro. Was pretty pissed though to find out it was usless live without the pedal board.(Which is a real night mare to get working. But it does.)
All in all the - very happy. Mind you - I dont need to get down & measure my sound with a meter. If it sounds good - do it! Wouldnt dream of spending the $ for the fender & vox amps I had as a kid. Sure - they sound good - but totally out of line for scam/price. Never got into wine snobbery either.I leave those issues to the ones who would rather debate than play!Rather spend money on all the other stuff