Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2001, 07:53 AM

Default I WAN\'T Powered plug-ins !!!

OK, I have towed the line for a while now.
pt le...pt le...... pt le......
It's great!! yes

but now I go to a friends place and he is using someting else, VST based.
The interface is clunky, I don't like much about it all about it .

BUT !! he has the UA powered plug-in board and it is AWESOME.

I am afraid I will have no choice to change over unless digi can get on this bandwagon.

Yes I have read all the posts about how it will cut into the profit margin of their tdm systems but COME ON. Doesn't people buying neuendo and logic cut into these profits?

I Love pt le, 24 tracks if fine. 24 bit is fine. 48khz is fine. rtas is fine BUT. without the added horsepower of powered plugs I feel dissapointed.

I can't believe digi is just ignoring this.
I am hoping that they have their own plans in this direction, but maybe r&d is holding them up.

BUT WHY NOT TELL US IT"S ON THE WAY? this secret squrell crap is BS.

enough ranting.

I dont want to switch, damnint

[img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 08-31-2001, 03:12 PM

Default Re: I WAN\'T Powered plug-ins !!!

You guys are wasting ypur breath. Check out this Universal Audio Link
http://www.uaudio.com/PPI/faq.html#PTC

It is very obvious that the Digi attorney called these guys and gave them what-fer. It just makes me sick. Guess what else? I speculate that as more processors are able to handle high plug counts, Digi will rig it so the "Out of CPU power" message will come up prematurely to limit plugs just like they limit tracks.

I just sometimes feel like an idiot for swimming to a sinking ship.

NP
Old 08-31-2001, 07:38 PM

I heard the comporessors sound better than the bombfactory ones too!
Old 08-31-2001, 07:59 PM

how about any software developers out here in le user land?

I'm sure it would be really hard but, what if somebody out there develped a software bridge of some kind to port the ua card into the pt le app?

I send $100 shareware fee out right now.
if digi won't help us maybe we can help ourselves.

I'm sure ua and digi would send the law teams out to break down the doors swat style if they got wind of it.
Old 08-31-2001, 08:06 PM

how about any software developers out here in le user land?

I'm sure it would be really hard but, what if somebody out there develped a software bridge of some kind to port the ua card into the pt le app?

I send $100 shareware fee out right now.
if digi won't help us maybe we can help ourselves.

I'm sure ua and digi would send the law teams out to break down the doors swat style if they got wind of it.
Old 08-31-2001, 09:20 PM

at first i thought these cards were going to be great, but so far we sold none at the store i work at...theres too many issues.
latency and support are big ones.

i'm not taking digi's side, but instead of dropping 1099.99 on a powercore why not post your mac on ebay and buy a 800mhz with the $1100.00 burning a hole in your pocket.

then you can run any plug-in you want. not just the ones they offer or autotune3 which is the only one i know that supports them!

my.02
Old 09-01-2001, 12:16 AM

I agree that powered plug in are very cool, and I can't help but think that this is the way most DAW systems will eventually go. In effect, its the same concept as a TDM DSP board, isn't it? Of course, that's probably why Digidesign is reluctant to support it with PTLE. Let's hope that in time Digidesign will smile on us and allow this to happen.

What I'd also like to see is for Digidesign to upgrade PTLE to support dual processors and ALTVEC. I do graphic design and 3D work for a living, and my main image applications (Photoshop and Cinema C4D) are greatly enhanced by these features. Given how the Digi is a host based system, its inexcusable that we are not able to make full use of the computers they run on. I asked some Digidesign people about this at Digiworld show when it was in Seattle, and they reluctantly agreed its a bit embarrassing that PTLE is not at least multiprocessor friendly.

Until then, let the limitations inspire you to work more effeciently and creatively.

Dave Patterson [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 09-01-2001, 06:07 PM

I remember when everyone was saying how amazing it was that computers were running at 300 Mhz. Yes, computers get faster, but with that speed increase comes more complex programs and more bloated operating systems. The power of a native system will never equal the power of an expanded mixplus system (or whatever the equivalent DSP farms are in the coming years).

And just in case you're wondering:

power plugins for protools = TDM.
Old 09-01-2001, 11:16 PM

un1234
You got it. The only Power Core cards you'll get from Digi is Mix Plus. The only way Digi is going to stop people from moving away from their systems is reduce the cost.
So it's Mix + or something like Nuendo plus a core card and a hot rode computer.

Nick
Old 09-02-2001, 12:23 AM

Last year, after 30 years of microprocessor development, Intel cracked the 1-GHz mark in clock speed. Now, not even 18 months later, it will announce availability of a 2-GHz Pentium 4. By the end of next year, it could be up to 3 GHz.

Would you (as a company) invest in the development of an expensive add-on board with computer power increasing at that rate? Can you see less need for hardware acceleration with so much more power in the basic PC? Would you invest on better software that takes advantage of advances in technology (like Altivec) or build a card that won't be needed in the near future?

Companies that made dedicated hardware platforms to perform video editing and effects have seen their market share reduced by companies that use general purpose computers. In the audio field, look at New England Digital (if you remember them).

You have a limited amount of time and assets to spread out on your choice (s). What would you do?
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.