Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2005, 11:50 AM

Default which motherboards work? Please help!!!

Hi!
I am once again going to attempt to update the pages on TDM and XP.
Here is a biggie: What motherboards out there work?

I have had people asking me if I know of any besides the ASUS I keep recommending so highly, and it really got me thinking: where do we go from here? If my ASUS blows up tomorrow, and with all the cool new technologies emerging, what board might I want to try?

Dual core, super-AMD's, P5's, etc.
64-bit everything seems to be the biggie; with 64-bit slots and such, supposedly we will see higher track counts more easily (I dont have a prob with this on my system tho), expansion chassis based systems smoother/better, and Mojo will operate much better (to quote, "..currently, the Mojo takes over the 32 bit bus – on a workstation board, this means you can’t use the 32 bit PCI slots if you use the built-in FW, since they share the same bus. Plus we require dual proc for Mojo..").

I am guessing there are other benefits, such as being able to operate RTAS with less impact on mixes.

Now the problem: People I have spoken to have reported a lack of boards that allow use of HD/Accel cards. Seems many of these newer boards have components in the way. Some have a 64-bit slot one would want to use in line with a chipset or other component right in the way of the HD card.

So, I would really...REALLY appreciate your help.
Reply here- or email- please!!!
Successes and failures greatly appreciated!
I want to be able to come up with a do-it-yourself system for these situations:

Video monster:
System that operates as close to flawlessly as possible, doing massive track counts, high density edits, Mojo (a must), and dual displays. Simply put, this is the pinnacle of PT Video machines. Even so, it should come up slightly (at least) lower priced than one of the HP's or Dell's. Please: not just a list of parts; I really would like to have experiences with the system(s) you guys have built. Please include case, power supply, cables, etc...everything!!! Would be nice to fit up to an HD4 Accel in this without resorting to an expansion chassis...but, realize this will be a rarity here; most will go expansioin chassis out of the gate.

Budget Video Monster
Same as above, but obhviously lower counts, edits, etc.
Basically, want to find an affordable system that someone could afford after blowing their wad on a Mojo. Pros? Cons? Any shortcomings?

Audio + SoftSynth Monster:
The one many are desiring!
This is it, the top-dog. Does full voice counts at all rates. Incredible performance, and easily does multiple softsynths. Dual displays (at leaszt!). Solid, stable, reliable. Multiple cpu, multi-core, multi-all! 64-bit a must. Would be nice to get an HD4 Accel in this puppy without an expansion chassis, but not required.

A+S Budget
Same as above, with less capabilities. Still 64-bit, and capable of upgrading as one gets more cash. There are many people that seem to be grabbing a single HD core, and want something to build to use it, but can be upgraded/added to as time goes by. In other words, start here, build to the system above over time.

We already have "old realiabe." The good old ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe machine.
But, it isnt 64-bit capable Time marches on, and as components go, so do new systems arrive.

The motherboard is the biggest concern, but I would really love specific component details and all please.

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:24 PM

Default Re: which motherboards work? Please help!!!

I'm using the Tyan Thunder K8WE motherboard. Rock solid dual CPU board, and relatively future proof, since it is dual core ready, plus it has 2 PCI-e slots, 3 PCI-X slots and 1 PCI slot, so your desire to do an HD4 without an expansion chassis can be accomplished with this board.

You can also use this board as the basis for your video monster system, just get an Nvidia Quadro FX1400, FX3450, or FX4500 PCI-e video card.

I listed my full specs in the "Poor man's HD" thread. Hope this helps.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:24 PM

Hi Nikki!
I'll be watching this thread with great interest, and will chime in with any info I stumble across. With all of the new developments on the horizon, it looks like this winter will be the perfect time to build the multi- everything, dual anything, monster machine to replace the ole Asus P4c800e- Deluxe. Probably make a Gigastudio box out of it.
Anyway, glad you brought this up.
TommyD
Old 11-03-2005, 01:33 AM

Digidesign moderators - PLEASE could you make this thread a sticky. We need a single, centralized resource for motherboard compatibility information, especially as Digidesign does not offer any kind of assistance in this area.

Jules
Old 11-04-2005, 07:59 PM

Hello - I've just been going through this while putting together my first PT HD rig. I've chosen a Supermicro P4SCT (P4 478) with 3 64 bit slots. The motherboard fits well in the Antec Take4 case that I chose except that the 24 pin and P4 4 pin power connector harnesses are too short. Extenders can be purchased but I just chopped them and extended them.

BTW, I spec'd out a super system with eight dual-core Opterons with hyperthreading (that's 32 threads!) and 256GB ram. about $30,000. Pricy and bleeding-edge, I'll wait...

I'll post more when I'm further along, although I have nothing to compare it to!

Peace,

Christian

Also, I second Jules on the sticky thread. Digi is punting on PC recomendations. Frustrating.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:21 AM

I'm also using the
Tyan Thunder K8WE with a
Single Opteron 246 and
1GB RAM. The video card i'm using is the
WinFast NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT TDH with 128MB RAM.
I've just picked up a Zalman AlCu 7700 but haven't installed it as yet. I'm using a
Antec Titan with a Neo Power supply also from Antec.
You will need a bigger server case coz the TYAN mobo is a server mobo which is 12x13 inches in size. The Titan case is really good and spacious with nice shock mounts for drives and also front firewire.
The above Video card also gives me full screen mpg and .mov video overlay on my TV. See my 'Getting full screen mpeg video' post.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:32 AM

Another Tyan Thunder K8WE in use here with

Dual 246 opterons
2 gig reg-ecc RAM
nvidia 6200 (passive heat sink)
antec titan 550 case with built in PS.

I'm running a HD3 (non accel) in a four slot magma chassis, so no cards in the box.

I don't think you can fit four cards on this MB. The PCI slot is between the the PCI-e slots, even with a low profile PCI-e graphics card it doesn't look like their is enough room for a HD card (haven't tried myself)

The system is very stable so far on 6.9.1, no crashes, 'cept for one issue with starting PT to soon after XP boots (this is a known issue I think).

Here are a couple of links about the board, one is about cases in the amd forum and the other is a site dedicated to the board.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:26 PM

this may be a dumb question...

but all these mobos are server mother boards... you can use server motherboards in your hd settup??? so hypothetically i could get a super pc like a iwill h8502 and use it in my settup??
Old 11-30-2005, 07:24 PM

Quote:
this may be a dumb question...

but all these mobos are server mother boards... you can use server motherboards in your hd settup??? so hypothetically i could get a super pc like a iwill h8502 and use it in my settup??
Not a dumb question at all!

"Server" boards are so named only because it is their typical use; this does not relegate it to being it's only use...thankfully

In general, server motherboards (and the CPU's for them) tend to run a bit higher in price than the usual "desktop" motherboards. Chipsets may differ, as will feature sets. This alone is cause for concern when choosing any board...but for something as picky as HD, it is (maybe) of higher concern.

Also of concern with HD systems (if not using an expansion chassis) is component placement on any motherboard; this includes, and is usually most important, heatsinks for chipsets and such. It will most likely be these little suckers that protrude in the worng place, making a board unusable.

Best bet: check here to see if someone is using a particular motherboard, and other pieces with it. If you dont see it mentioned, hit THIS THREAD and ask! By keeping ONE thread flowing, we will all have access to the highest number of boards that work...and do not work.

Additionally: be aware that more components means more power required. Also, HD cards are hungry. Be careful when choosing all components, and that includes- especially- the power supply. Power supplies vary in many ways, and some will be rated wrong, or have a rating that is correct, yet underpower one or two legs that are the most vital for us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:16 AM

Hi All,

ASUS A8V deluxe is working great here for anything from HD1 -HD3. Putting 3rd Accel card causes anomolies so I'll be happy when the new ETHERNET chasis' arrive.

All the best

Big D
3 x WD500gig SATA, 1 x WD1T32mb SATA cache Green
NVIDIA Geforce 7300le,
Command 8,HD2,192,Massive Pack 4
Windows 7 64 bit PTHD 9