Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2019, 05:40 PM

Default Re: New PIA VI's

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I'd skip Waves for a B3 emulation. It's a shame NI discontinued B4-II; the tonewheel organs in Kontakt are a mere shadow of what the original was.

Have you taken a look at GSI's VB3-II? See here: https://www.genuinesoundware.com/?a=showproduct&b=44
100 eur; they don't show an amount in $US

Don't even think about the B3 emulation that Arturia has. I only have it because it's part of the V Collection 6 and I've only tried it to see if it had anything to offer and it doesn't.
The Rhodes, Wurly and Clav from Waves the most genuine I've seen, if they make a B3 I hope it's sampled as well.
I remember B4-II, it was the best emulation I've ever heard.
Old 02-08-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
I remember B4-II, it was the best emulation I've ever heard.
Yes it was.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 02-08-2019, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
Yes it was.
I would buy a reissue if they keep it as it was, presets included!
Old 02-08-2019, 06:08 PM

It took a bit of messing around but I was able to get B4-II working in OSX 10.12.6 (I know you two guys are on Windows); it wasn't pretty but I got it to work. There is another way to get it to work in 64 bit operating systems but you'd need VEPro. I have it from when I had my iMac and cheesegrater connected together. Because you can run both 64 and 32 bit servers it's relatively easy to have B4-II to run inside VEPro.

QAPLA!
Old 02-09-2019, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
It took a bit of messing around but I was able to get B4-II working in OSX 10.12.6 (I know you two guys are on Windows); it wasn't pretty but I got it to work. There is another way to get it to work in 64 bit operating systems but you'd need VEPro. I have it from when I had my iMac and cheesegrater connected together. Because you can run both 64 and 32 bit servers it's relatively easy to have B4-II to run inside VEPro.
Using 32 bit VEP is how I get NI B$ to work. Has anyone tried PSP's rotor plugin? Seems to add a similar rotor vibe to whatever track its on....
Old 02-09-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmprod View Post
Using 32 bit VEP is how I get NI B4 to work. Has anyone tried PSP's rotor plugin? Seems to add a similar rotor vibe to whatever track its on....
You're asking about L'otary (the Leslie simulator) right? It's what I use for all my Leslie needs except for when I use B4-II and I use it's own Leslie. Tons of adjustability on L'otary. You want the rotor noise? You got it as much as you want or don't want.

Speaking of PSP and Hammonds there's the B-Scanner plugin that simulates the scanner vibrato/chorus of a Hammond. Try it sometimes on a guitar for a different sound.

Want a different sound? Try running cymbals through the Leslie or scanner plugins.

QAPLA!
Old 02-10-2019, 01:31 AM

There is a free version of Thorn offered through Computer Music magazine. Its main limitation is it only has 2 rather than 3 oscillators. But it is fully functional and will give you a good taste of what this VI can do. If I remember correctly, its included on the DVD that comes attached to CM magazine. I'm also not all that impressed with the fx and arpeggiator thats built into either. Comes VST, AU and AAX.

I tend to agree with Jack's assessment on it. It sounds nice. It is easy to program and edit. But, frankly, I wouldn't pay full price for it...not even sure I'd pay $99 for it. Dune 3 (or Dune 2 for that matter) or Serum offer way more versatility for sound design. With Dune 3 you could (theoretically - depending on your CPU) have up to 24 oscillators to create your patch! And you can choose standard waveform, FM or wavetable for the oscillator. Now that Dune 3 has added a very easy to use wave table editor, its better than ever! I way way prefer it over Thorn.

Old 02-10-2019, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
I was going to ask Jack how it compared to Synthmaster One which I have and like a lot. Thanks you two for the nice impressions!

I've never tried Synthmaster. I do love Dune, though. Started with Dune, then Dune 2 and now Dune 3. Its my favorite VI, I think!

Old 02-10-2019, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
I've never tried Synthmaster. I do love Dune, though. Started with Dune, then Dune 2 and now Dune 3. Its my favorite VI, I think!
Give Synthmaster a try - I think you'll like it. There's a bundle of Synthmaster One and Synthmaster 2.9 (which is the big brother to One) for $129.

Back when I was casting about for a new synth and ended up with Avenger I demoed all the usual suspects save for UVI Falcon which doesn't have a demo. Just didn't get on with Dune for whatever reason. I wanted something other than just an EDM machine - can Dune do more than that?

BTW a fellow over in Gearslutz where they're talking about Thorn mentioned he just picked up Serum for 90 British pounds which at the current exchange rate is $116.41 and current price is $189 US at Xfer's site. Wouldn't mind Serum at the lower price. For reference Dune 3 is $179 US.

QAPLA!

Last edited by musicman691; 02-10-2019 at 04:52 AM.
Old 02-10-2019, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
I've seen people swear by Dune and indeed they make wonders with it. You should try Synthmaster!