Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2014, 08:13 PM

Default PT11 crashes and is horribly slow

Yay. I was finally able to actually activate the pro tools 11 program. But it crashes and is horribly slow. Also, it gives me an error message stating that the focusrite 18i8 audio interface cannot be initiated and configured. This is going to be much more difficult than I was hoping. Of course there's no way to call avid without some sort of paid support program. How do I know if I want to pay $700 for the full pro tools 11 program if I can't get any support for the free trial? Anyway, I have a windows 8, samsung laptop, intel core i7, 8GB ram, with a focusrite 18i8.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:37 PM

Default Re: iLok never came in the mail

It's crazy because I've been recording tunes for 25 yrs. just never on a PC. I figured I was finally ready to check it out, but nothing is functioning properly. The program freezes, crashes, and doesn't seem to know what a focusrite 18i8 is at all. Other then this forum, I don't know how to get help. I don't want to give up. I really want to figure this out. At least can you point me in a direction that will clearly lay out steps to take?
Old 01-17-2014, 11:51 PM

Default iLok never came in the mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by praskal View Post
It's crazy because I've been recording tunes for 25 yrs. just never on a PC. I figured I was finally ready to check it out, but nothing is functioning properly. The program freezes, crashes, and doesn't seem to know what a focusrite 18i8 is at all. Other then this forum, I don't know how to get help. I don't want to give up. I really want to figure this out. At least can you point me in a direction that will clearly lay out steps to take?

If I were you, I would find a local pro in your area that is proficient in both Pro Tools and computers that run Pro Tools. Then I'd pay him to come over and help me.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 01-17-2014, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Hi,

First thing to check is if your interface is compatible with your computer? Next make sure you have the latest driver for your interface.

Another option is to not use the interface for now and use the computers inbuilt audio I/O. If it's still not running and crashing and freezing then it points towards a computer/hardware issue. Ram/hard drive/graphics card etc.

Computers are complex devices and some skill and knowledge of computing is needed to install and setup software/hardware applications! Is there anyone you know who is a computer buff who could come and set it up for you.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:58 PM

Quote:
"freezes and crashes" what exactly are you doing and what exactly is happening?

The first place to start is the documentation. There is a whole separate Pro Tool Installation guide--did you read and follow that? Did you do all the systems optimizations? Does your system meet all the system requirement specs?

What exact symptom do you mean by "does not know what a Focusrighte 18i8 is", what exactly does not work that you think should be working with an 18i8? I've not yet met a cogent computer that really has any notion of what anything is, let alone a Focusright 18i8, so be clear what you mean. Did you install the device driver for the 18i8? Is that set as the playback engine in Pro Tools?

Post a Sandra report describing your PC (run it with all the disk drive attached -- and explain which drive volume in the report is the required dedicated audio/system drive). Start up at the big "Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!" link on this (and every other DUC) page.

Avid has pretty clear web pages about how to contact Avid support, but that requires you purchase an ASC. That may not be what you want to hear, but that info is easy to find with a Google or Avid site search.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:09 AM

I went through the whole pro tools installation protocol as well as the focusrite 18i8 installation instruction protocol. I have a new Focusrite 18i8 USB audio interface. I downloaded the pro tools 11 free trial and just activated it with the iLok. I have a samsung ATIV NP900X4C laptop with 8GB RAM, pentium i7, and windows 8. Protools is extremely buggy. It freezes, crashes, and simply does not recognize the focusrite. I need some serious help, but I can't contact avid because I just have a 30 day trial and no phone support. Can anyone help me from the very first step? If not, how can I get help? I only have a 30 day trial to see if I want to buy protools11.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:18 AM

Quote:
I went through the whole pro tools installation protocol as well as the focusrite 18i8 installation instruction protocol. I have a new Focusrite 18i8 USB audio interface. I downloaded the pro tools 11 free trial and just activated it with the iLok. I have a samsung ATIV NP900X4C laptop with 8GB RAM, pentium i7, and windows 8. Protools is extremely buggy. It freezes, crashes, and simply does not recognize the focusrite. I need some serious help, but I can't contact avid because I just have a 30 day trial and no phone support. Can anyone help me from the very first step? If not, how can I get help? I only have a 30 day trial to see if I want to buy protools11.
So just to confirm you fully optimized your computer? Disabled WiFi? Disabled Blutooth? Set the application to run as Admin? Disabled power management? Disabled USB power management? Do not have any antivirus software installed or if it is it is fully disabled? etc. etc. You did every last one of those optimization steps in the install documentation?

----

And again....

"freezes and crashes" what exactly are you doing and what exactly is happening? What exact symptom do you mean by "does not know what a Focusright 18i8 is". Is that set as the playback engine in Pro Tools?

Hold down the 'N' key while starting up Pro Tools, and keep it held down until the playback engine dialog appears. What are all the options available there for playback engine? Select the one that most looks like the 18i8.

If that does not work, what exact driver and version did you install? Provide a link if you can to them online.

AND AGAIN, VERY IMPORTANTLY -- Post a Sandra report describing your PC (run it with all the disk drives attached -- and explain which drive volume in the Sandra report is the required dedicated audio/system drive). Start up at the big "Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!" link on this (and every other DUC) page.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:29 AM

Please follow the Help us Help you direction and post a Sandra report (your on Windows right?)

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 01-18-2014, 06:12 AM

Default Re: Focusrite 18i8 help

Hi,
Are you using an external drive for audio, or are you attempting to record to the laptop's drive?
Old 01-18-2014, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Buy the PT101 course book; there's one for PT10 but PT11 is essentially the same program and the book will work just as well for 11. It's a good book for total newbies to PT like you. Most booksellers have it; you could online order it from B&N or Amazon.

PT can be made to work but it's not an easy climb. You just have to take your time and be patient with it. It's not plug and play software.

QAPLA!