Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2009, 10:27 AM

Default Re: PT8 constant -6101 cpu issue, Let's do something

Ok so I made some tests, I changed my daisy chaining setup.

I mac FW800> HD > HD FW800 alternative out > Lacie Flat Cable > Pro Fire 2626 FW400 in

Test 1

I used a template sessions created by digi.
32 tracks all insert with EQ II and Compressor with 1 reverb, 1 delay, 1 chorus.
1 Master Track and on click track

Be able to record until the maximum size I allocated to pro tools (10 mins)

Playback Engine buffer size is set to 512 samples
1 Processor
CPU USage Limit 90%

The error didn't came out but the click sometimes drop or get slower Very musical.... anyway

I tried different setting and started from 128 samples with 2 processor but it crashed after 4 minutes recording. Should be great with a band but not in an another situation.
Getting little bit more stable with 512

I made the same test with all the EQ III and compressor plug ins off but the click still drop. Anyway it's not perfect but I could record 10 minutes of audio without 6101.

Test 2

It's a rough Mix with 11 tracks with some plugs-ins, master tracks 3 reverbs, 1 aux track.
System quite responsive if I don't have background task. I had to reduce the CPU usage limit to 85% to get more response.

Playback Engine buffer size is set to 512 samples
2 Processor
CPU USage Limit 90%

CPU Bar is jumping at 30% seems stable
With one processor it's jumping to 50% get lot of errors, getting hard to handle. So digi said it was better to run with one processor that's false !

The third test will include Rewire and software instruments but i'm not very enthusiastic. I still have some errors and I actually do very basic things. System looks like little bit more stable but it's far away to be perfect.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:57 PM

That's the exact FW Hub that I have.

Once again, there will be naysayers. But it works for me, so what do I care.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:27 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistlabz View Post
We've had no problems with Agere chipsets for a very long time - I highly doubt this is the cause. We've tested this on several iMacs similar to yours without errors.

In looking at your drive again, it appears that it's configured as a RAID 0 or RAID 1. Is that the case here? If so, that's the problem - Pro Tools does not work with RAID systems.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:57 AM

Yes there is a RAID option, don't know if you can read japanese but this HD enclosure is set to support 2 drives that's why there is a RAID switch, you can setup as mirroring / spanning or striving (directly translate from japanese don't know if it's the exact English word or not)

I just have one drive in my enclosure so basicly RAID shouldn't be active, but I don't know maybe it's natively active. My enclosure jumpers are set on the RAID 1 mode (mirroring).

I will try with a non RAID FW Hard Disk and let you know.

if I have to change my HD which on do you recommend ? I heard about glyph
Old 08-04-2009, 09:26 AM
Avid

Quote:
Yes there is a RAID option, don't know if you can read japanese but this HD enclosure is set to support 2 drives that's why there is a RAID switch, you can setup as mirroring / spanning or striving (directly translate from japanese don't know if it's the exact English word or not)

I just have one drive in my enclosure so basicly RAID shouldn't be active, but I don't know maybe it's natively active. My enclosure jumpers are set on the RAID 1 mode (mirroring).

I will try with a non RAID FW Hard Disk and let you know.

if I have to change my HD which on do you recommend ? I heard about glyph

Ah! Ok, I think we're onto something then. That drive, even if you're only using 1 drive in the case, still will be seen as a RAID volume. It's built into the hardware and that almost certainly is the cause of your errors.

There are many good drives out there - Glyph, OWC, EZ-Quest, etc.

My personal favorites are the OWC - either as the complete drive or the DIY case + drive that you install yourself. I like the dual drive models that don't have RAID - I set them up to backup automatically on a set schedule.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:44 AM

Ok I hope it's working well because glyph HD (seems to be the most easy to find here in Japan) are quite costly. And I saw posts about people using glyph HD and still have troubles.

So lucent chipset is trouble free right ?
Old 08-04-2009, 11:09 AM
Avid

Quote:
Ok I hope it's working well because glyph HD (seems to be the most easy to find here in Japan) are quite costly. And I saw posts about people using glyph HD and still have troubles.

So lucent chipset is trouble free right ?
Lucent/Agere chipsets are fine - we solved that problem back in 7.x...
Old 08-04-2009, 12:03 PM

My IcyDock MB559UEA enclosure has the Oxford 924 chipset, but I still have frequent -6101 problems using the Firewire 400 connection (with PT 8 M-powered, that is. No problems whatsoever with any other audio software, btw.). I've gone through troubleshooting steps digi recommends, and still have problems.

Avi
Old 08-04-2009, 12:37 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avi Bortnick View Post
My IcyDock MB559UEA enclosure has the Oxford 924 chipset, but I still have frequent -6101 problems using the Firewire 400 connection (with PT 8 M-powered, that is. No problems whatsoever with any other audio software, btw.). I've gone through troubleshooting steps digi recommends, and still have problems.

Avi
Avi - I know you want to share your experiences, but without relevant information you're essentially just saying 'me too', which only helps if we can identify an actual bug. To do THAT, though, we need all your relevant info.

Can you visit the Help Us Help You thread and post all the information necessary?

When you say you've done all the troubleshooting steps - what have you done, exactly? Do you have previous posts that we did troubleshooting with you?
Old 08-04-2009, 06:51 PM

Can you confirm the fact that is better to put the drive before the audio interface ?