How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2021, 09:49 AM

Default Problem with RAM upgrade

Hello

I have a Macpro2013, Pt 2020 (last update) and I have 32 Go RAM.
I just added 32GO RAM more, so I have 4x16Go (64Go are detected in the Apple memory window).

But after that many sessions bugged (it suddelnly stops reading, few minutes after the session was launched, and I have to force quit as everything is 'frozen')

So I unmounted my new RAM, went back to 32Go and it works better !!

How is that possible ?? Is it because the new ones (OWC) are not the same manufacturer as the first ones (Micron Technology) ?

Though I followed the requirements (1866 DDR3...)
The only thing I'm not sure about is RDIMM or UDIMM, but I can't find this information. And if the problem came from that detail I think the new RAM wouldn't be recognized by the system ?

Thanks for your help

J
Old 01-27-2021, 10:20 AM

Default Re: Problem with RAM upgrade

Matching specs is crucial, but I suspect you may have a bad stick of RAM in the new package(it does happen). I would reach out to OWC about getting a replacement. I'm a windows user so I can't advise on how to test RAM on a Mac

One test you might try is to remove all the Micron RAM and run only the OWC and see if that works the same(without 2 brands installed).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-27-2021, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juh View Post
Hello

I have a Macpro2013, Pt 2020 (last update) and I have 32 Go RAM.
I just added 32GO RAM more, so I have 4x16Go (64Go are detected in the Apple memory window).

But after that many sessions bugged (it suddelnly stops reading, few minutes after the session was launched, and I have to force quit as everything is 'frozen')

So I unmounted my new RAM, went back to 32Go and it works better !!

How is that possible ?? Is it because the new ones (OWC) are not the same manufacturer as the first ones (Micron Technology) ?

Though I followed the requirements (1866 DDR3...)
The only thing I'm not sure about is RDIMM or UDIMM, but I can't find this information. And if the problem came from that detail I think the new RAM wouldn't be recognized by the system ?

Thanks for your help

J
Who did you get the original from? One thing with OWC (and they even will tell you) is that you can not mix their ram with others. Which is why didn't upgrade with them, since I would have to buy everything all over instead of just adding.
-HD Omni
-BM Intensity Pro

-Waves Mercury+SSL4000 Collection+Abbey Roads
-iZotope RX10 Advanced
-iZotope Post Production Suite 6
-iZotope Music Production Suite 5
-HALO UP/DOWN MIX
-ANYMIX
-Delonghi Perfecta ESAM 5600.S
Old 01-27-2021, 01:50 PM

Thank you both.

I contacted OWC support, effectively OWC RAM can't work if mixed with other brands.

So I'm buying two more OWC RAM, expecting it will be ok...
Old 01-27-2021, 06:49 PM

Have you tried running with just the existing OWC RAM as suggested earlier? You definitely should ensure it is working before getting more.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1

Last edited by Obsidian Dragon; 01-28-2021 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-30-2021, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juh View Post
Thank you both.

I contacted OWC support, effectively OWC RAM can't work if mixed with other brands.

So I'm buying two more OWC RAM, expecting it will be ok...
I am in a similar boat. Long story short.
I have four 8gb sticks of transintl ram (SUPPOSEDLY they cater to the film industry) and it always came up as 1066Mhz.
So I recently upgraded my 2012 macpro from 2.46Ghz to 3.46Ghz and was obviously expecting the ram speed to go to 1333Mhz (and yes I reset the PRAM) After much research, I took them out and tested each one at a time and even though ALL of them are transintl. com 8GB PC10600 DDR3 1333MHZ ECC, only two of them would show 1333Mhz. So I called transintl (a brick and mortar macs that state matchless service and support) and they told me to ship it to the to test. So after a whole week, the call me and transintl. com COMPLETELY dropped the ball on me. What a waiste of shipping proiroty mail and waiting a week.
I sent the 4 sticks USPS priority mail last Thursday, they got it on Sat and said they'll run stress and other tests. And was told by their tech/warranty dept. that they would take care of me (not sure what that means, I was under the impression that would be some of compensation or adjustment or something) and have it back by Monday or Tuesday. I get a call on Wednesday saying that all 4 sticks ran perfectly at 1333Mhz, but they didn't use a mac (they only had a PC and it was sent out to someone else). And I asked well can you at least swap out the ones that I marked, that on my mac only show up as 1066Mhz and they said no, so they shipped it back and I got it last night (Thursday 28th) and put the ones that I marked, that only show up as 1066Mhz, and low and behold it’s the same issue. I am very disappointed in this company and of course will never use them again.

I Know I should have bought from a reputable company that stands behind their product like OWC. Already purchased 4 x 8GB sticks of their ram to hopefully use with the 2 transintl 8gb ram (hoping they will work together) for a total of 48gb and triple lane memory speed at 1333mhz
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trans.jpg (6.7 KB, 0 views)
-HD Omni
-BM Intensity Pro

-iZotope RX10 Advanced
-HALO UP/DOWN MIX
-ANYMIX
Old 01-30-2021, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDP View Post
I am in a similar boat. Long story short.
I have four 8gb sticks of transintl ram (SUPPOSEDLY they cater to the film industry) and it always came up as 1066Mhz.
So I recently upgraded my 2012 macpro from 2.46Ghz to 3.46Ghz and was obviously expecting the ram speed to go to 1333Mhz (and yes I reset the PRAM) After much research, I took them out and tested each one at a time and even though ALL of them are transintl. com 8GB PC10600 DDR3 1333MHZ ECC, only two of them would show 1333Mhz. So I called transintl (a brick and mortar macs that state matchless service and support) and they told me to ship it to the to test. So after a whole week, the call me and transintl. com COMPLETELY dropped the ball on me. What a waiste of shipping proiroty mail and waiting a week.
I sent the 4 sticks USPS priority mail last Thursday, they got it on Sat and said they'll run stress and other tests. And was told by their tech/warranty dept. that they would take care of me (not sure what that means, I was under the impression that would be some of compensation or adjustment or something) and have it back by Monday or Tuesday. I get a call on Wednesday saying that all 4 sticks ran perfectly at 1333Mhz, but they didn't use a mac (they only had a PC and it was sent out to someone else). And I asked well can you at least swap out the ones that I marked, that on my mac only show up as 1066Mhz and they said no, so they shipped it back and I got it last night (Thursday 28th) and put the ones that I marked, that only show up as 1066Mhz, and low and behold it’s the same issue. I am very disappointed in this company and of course will never use them again.

I Know I should have bought from a reputable company that stands behind their product like OWC. Already purchased 4 x 8GB sticks of their ram to hopefully use with the 2 transintl 8gb ram (hoping they will work together) for a total of 48gb and triple lane memory speed at 1333mhz
Well OWC states thay their RAM sticks DO NOT work with other sticks as mentioned above posts too so why would you expect they will work on your machine? Sorry for the bad news but it says this on their website and #support

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-31-2021, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Well OWC states thay their RAM sticks DO NOT work with other sticks as mentioned above posts too so why would you expect they will work on your machine? Sorry for the bad news but it says this on their website and #support
That is what I thought too, but I called and spoke to them on earlier last week telling the my situation and if it would work and he said yes, there shouldn't be an issue.
of course I had some doubts and because of OCD called again on Friday and another rep said there is no reason it shouldn't work and so I ordered it. Sure enough it came in this evening and it will NOT work. Apparently some of the reps at OWC are not familier with their own products. So no have to return it and order the 6 x 8gb sticks.
-HD Omni
-BM Intensity Pro

-iZotope RX10 Advanced
-HALO UP/DOWN MIX
-ANYMIX
Old 01-31-2021, 08:45 PM

Quote:
So no have to return it and order the 6 x 8gb sticks.
You should try running it with just the 4 OWC RAM sticks (without the Micro sticks). If it works, you know it is a problem mixing RAM brands. If it doesn't work, you know it is a problem with OWC RAM in you machine.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 02-01-2021, 05:02 PM

Quote:
That is what I thought too, but I called and spoke to them on earlier last week telling the my situation and if it would work and he said yes, there shouldn't be an issue.
of course I had some doubts and because of OCD called again on Friday and another rep said there is no reason it shouldn't work and so I ordered it. Sure enough it came in this evening and it will NOT work. Apparently some of the reps at OWC are not familier with their own products. So no have to return it and order the 6 x 8gb sticks.

I found the culprit. After a detailed long discussion with OWC, the OWC ram I bought is ECC-R as in registered which does NOT work with any non registered or barely with other registered ram (unless if they are made and bought all at the same time). I bought it from Amazon (since they had free next day delivery) and OWC said they didn't even know a 8GB ECC registered ram was still out there, must have been an old batch left over or something. This is the one I bought thinking it was the same as the regular ECC. So sending it back and buying the regular ECC with out the "R"

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
-HD Omni
-BM Intensity Pro

-iZotope RX10 Advanced
-HALO UP/DOWN MIX
-ANYMIX