Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2010, 05:48 AM

Default PT LE 8 To PTHD 9 ?

Hi everyone.

I'm asking me a question.
On this page we can see that ProTools HD support mbox 2 Pro.

So Can i update my protools LE 8 to a protools HD 9 with my mbox.
i don't have any DSP, but i could have for 400€ a HD with Input monitoring, Trackpunch, VCA... That 1600€ less than a complete production toolkit.

but maybe i do a mistake...
Old 11-05-2010, 07:43 AM

Default Re: PT LE 8 To PTHD 9 ?

You can't buy PT9HD standalone (or an update from LE to HD). Only PT9. So, there is no way around the CPTK2 if you want the additional features.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:47 AM

Are you sure about that? according to the readme pdf, if an HD 9 license is found on the ilok than HD features are used, if a non HD license is found then the HD features are not used. This is the upgrade path I'm thinking of doing, and I would like a straight answer from avid.

Can I buy the LE 8 to HD 9 upgrade found in the store for 349.00 and get all the features of HD w/o needing HD hardware?
Mac Pro 2x2.8GHz Quad-Core, 14gigs of ram
Macbook Pro w/Retina Display, 2.3Ghz i7, 16gigs of ram
Old 11-05-2010, 10:52 AM

I wonder if that HD upgrade is really eligible for LE owners. If it shows up as an option you could always try buying it and see if they let you.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:54 AM

To get the HD version of the software, you need to own currently and upgrade, or purchase new HD hardware.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 11-05-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragic Dog View Post
Are you sure about that? according to the readme pdf, if an HD 9 license is found on the ilok than HD features are used, if a non HD license is found then the HD features are not used. This is the upgrade path I'm thinking of doing, and I would like a straight answer from avid.

Can I buy the LE 8 to HD 9 upgrade found in the store for 349.00 and get all the features of HD w/o needing HD hardware?
I think that it true. However in order to get the "HD" license to begin with, you would have had to purchase some HD hardware at some point.

So I believe the PT9 + CPTK2 is the same as PT9HD but without TDM.

But yes clarification from Avid is always best. :)
Old 11-05-2010, 12:06 PM

If I were upgrading from LE to PT9, and had any desire at all to get the CPTK2 kit to "equalize it" with PTHD9, I'd strongly consider picking up a used HD PCI-X card on Ebay. These are selling for about $900 these days.

Even if you never did anything with the HD card at all, you'd be spending $900 (instead of $2000 for the new CPTK2!) to get the PT HD9 version, which is equivalent to PT9 + CPTK2 and can be used on any machine, regardless of whether it has HD cards or Avid hardware.

Of course you'd have to have a PC or Mac with an older-style PCI slot to actually *use* HD. But my understanding is, you just need a registered SN from any HD card (it doesn't matter PCI-X or PCI-e) to upgrade to PT HD9.

Just my $.02
Old 11-05-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillloyd View Post
If I were upgrading from LE to PT9, and had any desire at all to get the CPTK2 kit to "equalize it" with PTHD9, I'd strongly consider picking up a used HD PCI-X card on Ebay. These are selling for about $900 these days.
Good point. But now that PT9 is out and word gets around, I wouldn't be surprised if most people who have one of those to sell do the PTHD9 upgrade themselves before they sell the card (and I assume digi will only allow one upgrade per hardware serial number). They could either keep the software or probably sell it for a decent buck considering the alternative is $2600, of course I'm sure digi wouldn't approve of that.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike connelly View Post
Good point. But now that PT9 is out and word gets around, I wouldn't be surprised if most people who have one of those to sell do the PTHD9 upgrade themselves before they sell the card (and I assume digi will only allow one upgrade per hardware serial number). They could either keep the software or probably sell it for a decent buck considering the alternative is $2600, of course I'm sure digi wouldn't approve of that.
I suppose that's true. But unless AVID suddenly starts blocking license transfers and sales I'm not sure what they could do to stop it.

Interesting though--I guess the 2nd hand market for old PCIX cards will go up once people figure out that AVID's essentially assigned a $2000 value to them (ie price of CPTK2)
Old 11-05-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike connelly View Post
@Tragic: we're talking about *core* PCI-X cards here obviously.