Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2008, 04:05 AM

Default Macbook v PPC - what's the reality?

Hi all,

It would be cool if someone could share their experience of PERFORMANCE on the Macbook 2.1ghz or 2.4ghz in comparison to a PPC.

I've been running PT LE 7.4 on a:

G4 Dual 1.3Ghz 2MB L3 Cache
2GB Ram
Internal Firewiredrive OS Drive (using IFC-1P Internal FireWire Converter with 911+ with HW RAID 0) 80GB
Internal Firewire Audio Drive (using IFC-1P) 120GB
Firewire card
Belkin USB 2.00 / Firewire card
Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB / Arctic Cooling Graphics card
OSX Tiger 10.4
MBox 2

- and it absolutely rocks! Loads of tracks, loads of plugs etc.

Would I get the same kind or performance out of a Macbook? I'm not sure how an Intel processor relates to a G4 processor etc.
I appreciate the size and transportation difference of the two set ups, but concerning track count and plugins what can I expect?

If anyone's got both a suped up G4 and a Macbook please let me know the results.

I've been using a Dell Inspiron 6000, 1.73ghz, 2GB, internal 7200rpm 80gb, external 2.5' Firewire 7200rpm 80GB, Win XP Pro, PTLE 7.4, Mbox 2 -

for Portable Recording (with a couple of c1000 mics) and have been amazed at the track count and plugin power (Just recorded an album with a poor community in the north of Brazil - http://clown4christ.com/Flor/flor.htm)
- but am wondering if it's time to say goodbye to the PPC and go small and intel if the power is actually there. Otherwise I'd think about a G5. Will a single intel 2.1ghz or 2.4ghz steam roller over my G4 dual 1.3ghz??

Any comments from user's who have used various set up's and remember the plugin / track count performance would be apprecieated.

Yours

JazzyJ
Old 10-01-2008, 06:16 AM

Default Re: Macbook v PPC - what's the reality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyJ View Post
Hi all,

It would be cool if someone could share their experience of PERFORMANCE on the Macbook 2.1ghz or 2.4ghz in comparison to a PPC.

I've been running PT LE 7.4 on a:

G4 Dual 1.3Ghz 2MB L3 Cache
2GB Ram
Internal Firewiredrive OS Drive (using IFC-1P Internal FireWire Converter with 911+ with HW RAID 0) 80GB
Internal Firewire Audio Drive (using IFC-1P) 120GB
Firewire card
Belkin USB 2.00 / Firewire card
Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB / Arctic Cooling Graphics card
OSX Tiger 10.4
MBox 2

- and it absolutely rocks! Loads of tracks, loads of plugs etc.

Would I get the same kind or performance out of a Macbook? I'm not sure how an Intel processor relates to a G4 processor etc.
I appreciate the size and transportation difference of the two set ups, but concerning track count and plugins what can I expect?

If anyone's got both a suped up G4 and a Macbook please let me know the results.

I've been using a Dell Inspiron 6000, 1.73ghz, 2GB, internal 7200rpm 80gb, external 2.5' Firewire 7200rpm 80GB, Win XP Pro, PTLE 7.4, Mbox 2 -

for Portable Recording (with a couple of c1000 mics) and have been amazed at the track count and plugin power (Just recorded an album with a poor community in the north of Brazil - http://clown4christ.com/Flor/flor.htm)
- but am wondering if it's time to say goodbye to the PPC and go small and intel if the power is actually there. Otherwise I'd think about a G5. Will a single intel 2.1ghz or 2.4ghz steam roller over my G4 dual 1.3ghz??

Any comments from user's who have used various set up's and remember the plugin / track count performance would be apprecieated.

Yours

JazzyJ
I'm still running 7.4 on a 1.5 Powerbook G4 with good success. However, as soon as plugins and VI start to add up, it gets choked. I also have a newer Windows Vista machine that's dual-core and 2 gigs of RAM, and it breezes through large sessions with lots of tracks & plugins.

The bottom line is this-
The newer generation of Intel-based Macs are tremendously more powerful than any of the last generation G5's.
The G5's are wonderful and still work well, and I know plenty of project studios here in Nashville still running on G4's and G5's....
But a new Macbook is simply more powerful in terms of processing power than a PPC machine. I have several friends with Intel Macs who made the switch from an older PPC machine, and every one of them is amazed at the difference in speed & processing.

So yes, you would be more than comfortable going to a Macbook setup with 7.4.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyJ View Post

My personal experience:

G4 iBook 1.33GHz --> 16 Dverbs --> screen redraws nearly grinding to a halt.

Intel MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Core2Duo --> over 100 Dverbs --> screen redraws still reasonably snappy.

Based on these figures, the dual processing Intel Mac Book Pro was around 6 to 8 times more powerful than the single PPC G4 processor.

More than I could ever want really, and that includes loading up with RTAS soft synths and not turning a single hardware synth on for a session. Stunning!
Old 10-01-2008, 08:02 AM

hey...
i just bought a macbook with 2.2Ghz and boosted it up with 4gigs of ram.
i thought that this was plenty enough of power to run ptle 7.4.2 with the mbox2 interface but the system slows down and drops out when i use more than 1 plugin on one (stereo) track.

in this forum i often read about people who are very satisfied with the performance of their system. they run it through the same macbook like the one that i bought. they say they run up to 10 tracks each with up to 5 plugins without any problems.

what do i wrong? even my windows xp pc with 1.8ghz (single-prozessor) and 2gigs of ram does better performance on ptle...

H.E.L.P. !!

ps.: i run osx 10.5.4
Old 10-01-2008, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59Cadillac View Post
hey...
i just bought a macbook with 2.2Ghz and boosted it up with 4gigs of ram.
i thought that this was plenty enough of power to run ptle 7.4.2 with the mbox2 interface but the system slows down and drops out when i use more than 1 plugin on one (stereo) track.

in this forum i often read about people who are very satisfied with the performance of their system. they run it through the same macbook like the one that i bought. they say they run up to 10 tracks each with up to 5 plugins without any problems.

what do i wrong? even my windows xp pc with 1.8ghz (single-prozessor) and 2gigs of ram does better performance on ptle...

H.E.L.P. !!

ps.: i run osx 10.5.4
Obviously something very wrong here. Almost certain it's one or more incompatible third party plug-ins causing a CPU spike. If I were you, I'drawl through your plug-ins and check that they all work with Leopard.

http://www.myspace.com/philogg
Old 10-01-2008, 08:23 AM

Thumbs up Re: Macbook v PPC - what's the reality?

hi!
thx for the fast reply. now, when i think back there were indeed third-party-plugins when the systems slowed down.
so i guess that when i keep using digidesign plugins (the updated ones!) this should run better?
Old 10-01-2008, 09:41 AM

Incompatible plug-ins can cause problems even if not instantiated (i.e used in a session). I'd investigate this pronto if you want to get PT running in a useable state.

http://www.myspace.com/philogg
Old 10-01-2008, 11:08 AM

The macbook or macbook pro will run circles around your dual g4. I have a Core 2 duo 2.16 imac and it is unbelievable how fast it is! I can open 80 SSL Echannels and 4 Trillium Lane reverbs and it doesn't even hit 50% on the CPU meter.

I have been thrilled with the performance and the newer macbooks should be even faster.

Good Luck!

Chad
iMac 27"
3.4 GHZ 8 Core i7
8 gigs of ram
003 Factory

Chad Evans
Chief Engineer
Gaither Studios
Owner/Operator Big Mix Productions
Old 10-01-2008, 12:52 PM

thanks for all your replys!

It seems that the MAcbooks are the real thing!!!

Looks like I will look to getting one.

Cheers

JazzyJ
Old 10-02-2008, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59Cadillac View Post
...but the system slows down and drops out when i use more than 1 plugin on one (stereo) track.
Sounds like possibly a PPC plug-in is in your plug-in folder.

They should *all* be Intel or Universal Binary.

You can check this (albeit slowly) by going through every plug-in file and hitting "Get Info" or [apple]+[i] and checking its type.

Only takes one to bring the whole system down as there loaded up when Pro Tools boots up whether you use that particular plug-in or not.