Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 12-07-2001, 04:07 PM

Default What equipment do I need to do voice-overs?

Can anyone give me advice on the basic equipment I need to record professional voice-overs. I will not need to do any music, just voices.

I would like use Pro Tools LE Digi 001 (do I need Factory?. Of course I realize I need a couple of good mikes and a small sound booth. Do I need a controller board and all that?

I have a great MAC G4 with a gig of memory and 175 gigs of space.

I mostly need advice on what to buy to do simple straight voice-over recordings. I will rarely have to record more than one voice at a time.

Thanks for any assistance.

Jack
Old 12-07-2001, 04:39 PM

Default Re: What equipment do I need to do voice-overs?

My favorites....
Mic. (expensive)Klaus Modified Neumann U-87
or Brauner VM-1
(cheap) Rode NT-2
Mic Preamp. (expensive)Avalon M-5
(cheap)you might try a Focusrite Platinum (haven't tryed it)
Compressor. (expensive)Summit DL200 tube
(cheap)DBX 160x or Urie 1176
De-esser. not usually necessary unless you have to go to 8 bit or have to REALLY compress the hell out of it for PA playback

You can just get away with a good mic and preamp and compress within ProTools, but Compressing pre-ProTools allows you to print hotter and use all the bits.
Old 12-07-2001, 05:41 PM

In my opinion you could just go with the audiomediaIII, a small mixer as a pre-amp and a good mike. I have to addmit i have no idea what a good pre-amp would cost. But i think the audiomediaIII with protools is something about $500 and the digi001 with build-in pre-amp is something about $1000. with the digi001 you will have 8 (easy)inputs (or 10 extra with a lot of equipment.....)simultaniasly but if you only want to do voice-over you dont need that. With the audiomediaIII however you will need some additional gear to get the mike working since it only offers line-input. Be sure to get a good mike!!!!! And with protools you get a set of fairly good compressors/limiters and reverbs...

Bastiaan

Bastiaan
Old 12-08-2001, 06:23 AM

To me, the key elements for voice recordings are good mics and good preamp; since those are the most responsable elements in the chain for a good quality signal, before the A/D conversion; if you can afford it get at least a couple of good mics, one with a more defined upper range response for male voices (i.e. AKG 414 tL ), another with a solid low mid area, for female (Neumann U 87 for example); a good multi purpose condenser mic will work well though (Rode Nt1, MXL v 67 etc..); get a good preamp (Avalon 7V7, if you can afford, tL Audio, Focusrite, Joemeek VC1, there's loads to choose from), it's not a bad idea to get one with an EQ/ Comp section , so as to be able to fine tune the tone before going HD. As long as these pieces of gear are good, you are set with either AM III or 001, once digital you can do wonders with all of the plugins in Pt.

Hope this helps.

L.G. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-08-2001, 04:09 PM

I would forget about any preamps. Get the new Rode NTK mic www.rodemicrophones.com and plug it into the mic pre of Digi001. Shut off the phantom power. For Reverb use the Waves Rennaissance Reverb www.waves.com . This is a great combo for professional vocals. You can get the mic at www.bpmmusic.com for around 380.00 Retails for around 1000.00 and sounds better than alot of 2000.00 Neumanns. Check out the reviews, they are killer.
You can get the Waves Rennaisance Native bundle from Guitar Center for around 189.00 incluööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööö öööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööö öööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööö öööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööö öööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööö öööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööö öööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööö öööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööö öööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööö öööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööö öööööööööööööööööe more about this Rode NTK...How does it compare to the NT2? Is it Tube or solidstate? How does the cost compare?
Old 12-10-2001, 03:05 PM

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/resu...=NTK&infomode= info
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by JK Kestler:
Tell me more about this Rode NTK...How does it compare to the NT2? Is it Tube or solidstate? How does the cost compare?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>