Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 09-08-2012, 12:44 PM

Default Pro Tools 10 CPU Overload

Hello Everyone,

I know there may already be posts about this on here but I just want to make mine specific to my issue.

My computer specs should be posted on my profile. I posted them at the bottom of this thread.. I just signed up today so hopefully they are visible to anyone reading this.

My issue is this. I open a session from template, for example, a jazz template. I take out the template MIDI drum track, get rid of the template plug in, and replace it with a Kontakt5 to play and record a track of my own.

On another track I insert Guitar Rig 5 with a bass amp preset. GUitar Rig 5 can be CPU heavy. but the preset I am using is not in this case.

Next thing I know there is a message saying something about CPU overload and to remove Native plug ins. So I remove the rest of the pre inserted template plug ins. This now leaves me with Kontakt5 and Guitar Rig 5.

The first time today, I had the two I mentioned, GUitar RIg 5 and Kontakt5, plus a synth plug in and the whole system jammed up. It made a glitch sound and I couldn't CtrlAltDelete out of it. Everything froze up while it made this sound. I had to hit the power on my computer to shut it down.

After that I rebooted and reopened the session. I could not even play along with the bass and drum tracks for more than a few seconds before the CPU overload box popped up again.

I adjusted buffers and processors in the playback engine tab. I shut off my WIFI and bluetooth.

Any suggestions???? This really does suck. Thanks in advance.

HP Envy14 i5 1110nr
Windows7 Home
Seagate Solid State Hybrid 750GB 7200RPM
8GB RAM
NativeINstruments Komplete Audio6
ProTools 10

Last edited by trebot000; 09-08-2012 at 12:46 PM. Reason: needed topost systemspecs
Old 09-08-2012, 01:08 PM

Post a Sandra report please, and explain which disk drive is the system drive, which is the audio/session drive and which is for Kontakt samples (if you have a dedicated sample drive).

You need to start getting organized, what exact versions of everything are you running? Windows, Pro Tools, Kontakt. Other plugins etc. What exact error messages are you getting? What interface are you using (presumably the KA6 but please confirm) and what version drivers do you have installed? What are the playback Engine settings (all of them) that you have tried -- telling us you have just changed something is not useful.

Darryl
Old 09-08-2012, 02:11 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 10 CPU Overload

Ok sorry for the lack of detail. Here we go.

Operating System is Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

The actual message that pops up is this. "You are running out of CPU power. Remove some native plug ins or increase the CPU usage limit in the playback engine dialog. (-9128)"

My Playback Engine settings are as follow:

Komplete Audio 6 Driver
H/W Buffer 128 samples
Host Processors 4
CPU usage limit 95%
Host Engine box is unchecked
Delay Compensation engine none
Plug In Streaming buffer 250ms Level 2

For the Komplete Audio Interface Driver version 3.0.2 37 Firmware version
In the interface contol panel the settings are as follows
Audio Processing
44100Hz Sample rate
128 samples Process Buffer
2ms USB Buffer
Device Monitor
Streaming Processing state
8.3 ms output latency
Direct monitoring
Monitor status is off

As of right now my software, Pro Tools 10 ver10.0.0, Kontakt 5 64bit ver 5.0.3.5812, Guitar Rig 5 ver 5.1 runs off of my C drive which is a
Seagate ST750LX003 Momentus XT 750GB Solid State Hybrid Drive - 750GB, SATA 6Gb/s, 7200RPM, 32M, 2.5". All sample libraries for Kontakt5 are on the C drive as of right now.

I have an external drive. A Glyph GPT50 2TB. I planned on saving my sessions to this drive but haven't yet because I just got this drive. I was also planning on moving all my sample libraries to this drive.

I hope this was a bit more detailed.

The only thing I really changed when my problem occured was I changed the host processors from 4 to 2....I don't know I read it on a forum somewhere..but I switched the host processors back to 4.

The message i mentioned at the begining of this post pops up with only Kontakt 5 and Guitar Rig 5 as inserts. Kontakt is a MIDI drum track and Guitar Rig 5 is inserted on a stereo audio track. I push play to play it back and within seconds, maybe 5seconds, the box pops up.

Please let me know if you have any advice. I apologize for my ignorance to this stuff. I just want to get this running so I can make some music. Thanks again.
Old 09-08-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
I have an external drive. A Glyph GPT50 2TB. I planned on saving my sessions to this drive but haven't yet because I just got this drive. I was also planning on moving all my sample libraries to this drive.
Uh Oh. Bzzzzzzzztt ;-)

This is very likely the root of this problem, you need to get your Audio/session files on this drive. Do NOT put your sample file on this drive. Leave the sample file on the system drive. You never want the sample file IO contending with the audio file IO on the same disk (like you have right now).

After you have installed the disk, in the PT Setup>playback engine set the buffer size to 1024, 128 is likely way to small for this laptop doing VI work. #CPU=4 is also way off for a dual core i5. Start with this set to 1. Get things totally stable and everything properly configured first then later try reducing the buffer size if needed for lower latency or seeing if the system can handle tweekeing #CPU up slightly for more VI processing.

A Sandra report may still help... (even better make it after you install the new drive).

Darryl
Old 09-08-2012, 02:53 PM

Thanks. I will have to head out for work so I will get back it on Sunday. I appreciate the advice.

Quick question, what is a Sandra report? How do I run it? Thanks again.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebot000 View Post
Thanks. I will have to head out for work so I will get back it on Sunday. I appreciate the advice.

Quick question, what is a Sandra report? How do I run it? Thanks again.
Read all about it in it here Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!.

Darryl
Old 09-08-2012, 03:05 PM

Wow...ok. I didn't read that when I signed up. Thanks for giving me a response anyway. Now I know. Cool. I will do what you advised and then do a Sandra. Thanks again.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Read all about it in it here Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!.

Darryl

I made the adjustments to the HW buffer and Processor. So far so good. I really need to organize my files on my drive now.

I downloaded Sandra but did not run it yet. Should get to that tomorrow.

Thanks again
Old 09-14-2012, 12:07 PM

I downloaded the Sandra to run a report. There was some sort of problem and it won't run. I will have to re download it.

Quick question. How many plug ins can you normally run in a Pro Tools session?
Old 09-14-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebot000 View Post
I downloaded the Sandra to run a report. There was some sort of problem and it won't run. I will have to re download it.

Quick question. How many plug ins can you normally run in a Pro Tools session?
Between none and several hundred or more. I also know how long a piece of string is.

Your question is meaningless, its what exact plugins, on what exact computer with what exact buffer size, at what sample rate, etc. that starts to have *any* meaning.

And if you are running a NI (or other) VIs these are not normal plugins, what you can/cannot do is even more complex to answer/more sensitive to correct setup etc.

Darryl