Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 12-18-2012, 05:12 PM

Question HD OMNI: Max 8 in at a time ?

Hi

I have just upgraded to Pro Tools HD, HD Native Thunderbolt and HD OMNI.

Is it correct that input is limited to 8 at a time?

I also have 2 Steinberg MR816 CSX. One of them I have connected to the HD OMNI via ADAT. I can now choose from all inputs from both units, but limited to 8 at a time.
Eg: 2 in on the HD OMNI, and 6 in from the MR816 CSX.

Question:
Is there any way I can get more then 8 inputs with the above mentioned gear?
If not: any suggestion what I should do?
Old 12-18-2012, 06:05 PM

Unfortunately that is correct. 8 ins max. You can use any combination but only 8. It's one of the reasons I quickly lost interest in HD|N and the Omni.

As far as options go, maybe a lynx or apogee converter with an HD card? I know you can't run 2 omni's on the same system. And of course there are Avid's own interfaces.
2009 Mac Pro - Dual X5650 Xeon 6-core 2.66Ghz procs, 48GB of Ram, SATA 3 and USB 3.0 PCIe cards. R9 280X video card. macOS Sierra. Harrison Mixbus 32C, Studio One 3, Reaper, and pro tools 12 when I have to.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:04 AM

Default Re: HD OMNI: Max 8 in at a time ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ha2dorff View Post
Question:
Is there any way I can get more then 8 inputs with the above mentioned gear?
If not: any suggestion what I should do?
You should have went with another Avid HD interface instead of the Omni if you needed more than 8 ins. An option you have is to purchase another HD interface.

Alternatively, you can see if you can return the Omni and exchange for a HD IO interface. You will need to pay more money though if your supplier gives you that option.

But then you will also need a monitor controller and Mic Pre's if you haven't already got them.

I would personally keep the Omni and purchase a HD IO depending on my I/O requirements.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:02 AM

Thanks both :)