Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2000, 01:22 PM

Default partitioning HD for audio files?

I am looking to purchase a 500mhz G4 256Ram 27GB HD. I've been told that I can partition my HD and seperate audio that way. This seems ideal, since the obvious lack of cables, externals, scuzzy crapola that mucks up the whole set up. My question is , has anyone used this technique and to what result?
Old 03-31-2000, 02:09 PM

Default Re: partitioning HD for audio files?

Digi recommends using a second ATA drive for your audio recording, and partitioning it into smally portions for your recording sessions. You can just add a second "slave" drive, just about any 7200RPM ultra ATA drive will work. (quantum, maxtor, seagate, IBM, western digital are all good). The cables are already there, just set the jumpers on the drives.

Then use the Drive Setup utility to format the new drive into several partitions. I use a 34 gig IB for example, and it is partitioned into 3 5-gig partitions and a single large 15-gig partition. The small ones are for sessions, and the big one holds inactive sessions, a spare boot folder, audio files ready for CD burns and so on.

If you are going the non-recommended route of using the system drive to record on, then DON'T partition it. Use it as one big volume.
Old 03-31-2000, 09:20 PM

How many sessions (say four-piece band with vocal harmonies) will fill up a 3-5 gig partition? How many sessions on a drive? Can you and is it normal to pull and replace an ATA drive when it fills up? Would this be the proper method of saving or do you save to a disk and errase the ATA for continued use?
Old 04-01-2000, 02:12 AM

SirBob,
I've read accounts of a studio that charges the client for a hard drive...about $200...they take it with 'em. A few years ago-or even now- they'd pay that much for 16 min.s of tape, so it makes sense and is kind of a good idea.
I've heard of others who just buy a new one and lay the old one a shelf when it it fills up.
Old 04-02-2000, 10:30 PM

Hello ,Question
Do i get a kind of slow down by adding a second ATA66 on the same chain as slave?
Thanks
Toni