Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2013, 07:59 PM

Default Re: Control|24 with Pro Tools 11?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdodgy View Post
I would happily pay avid, or anyone, to get my expanded procontrol working. I'm concerned that if I upgrade to D Command, which is pretty old already, how long until it is discontinued too?
Personal opinion only...

I think that anything that has "made the jump" to 64-bit will probably be around for a while.

Avid has not announced a "Date of Last Sale" or an EOS for the D-Command ES units.

Since, so far, Avid has been setting the EOS at five years after the "Date of Last Sale", I wouldn't have any hesitation about buying a new D-Command.

Of course...YMMV...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 08-03-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcwiz View Post
Which makes me wonder about the dual PT10/11 rigs. Do they have two sets of controller profiles?
Yes.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 08-03-2013, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louieshowers View Post
Manny, that wasn't your point. And if it was, I disagree with it. I would be careful about mocking Avid's customers, since it looks like they will need all the customers they can grab...Windows 8 is here regardless if you or I or Bill Denton will ever use it... Avid did not anticipate it.

Also, Are you suggesting that PT10's release was acceptable? With hardly any aax plugins and for Windows it was a horror show for about a year! Remember last year with the GUI freeze issue that took 6 months for Avid to respond? Where was Avid's focus and priority then? 6 MONTHS of a system that froze steadily, making it virtually impossible to edit midi, or any audio clips for that matter because when the 2 second freeze recovered it would throw off the click synchronization in the session! This equalled a defective product! Why did that not take precedence? Why does pro tools require such strict set of computer setups? Shouldn't your genius almighty company be able to write a program that "JUST WORKS"? BLA BLA BLA "Protools is for serious musicians who need to use due diligence" bla bla bla!! They sell it at Guitar Center, and all over the web, you don't need a degree to buy it, you just need money!!! People today in the 21st century buy software and expect excellent customer support, solid stability and basically plug and play ready! SO, Why did they just release a horrible, system crashing, static-ridden MBOX 3 driver for windows? And still unable to function in Windows 8? Again, I don't own Windows 8, but shouldn't the leading software company's latest OS been on Avid radar? Why did they hose people with the CPTK ordeal and NOw this Controller homicide? Is this what the angel-geniuses at AVID that you speak of consider in the best interest of serving their customers? Avid charges big boy prices and gives mediocre performance in return, and actually charges for tech support communication!!! SLAP SLAP SLAP!!! This controller issue is simply another adjustment in the lense giving clarity of how much this company is out to lunch. The fact that Avid Pro tools users blog is aware of this issue, escalates things ten fold in my opinion. And when people try to ignore or defend this with sarcasm, straw man arguments, denial etc..it's absurd at this point. I didn't invent Avid's customer relations reputation. I can assure you of that. The right thing to do is write these drivers at no charge. I don't own one (so I HAVE NOTHING TO PERSONALLY GAIN), but I am still here battling for the right thing to happen.

Now have a blessed, angelic evening!

THIS THREAD SHOULD END WITH THIS.

and every year when a new PT release comes out we will start this tread again and agian
CUZ ITS THE THREAD THAT NEEEVER ENDS, IT GOES ON AND ON MY FRIENDS.
LOL seriously
just because you fight the good fight , doest mean you will win.
I seriously doubt this is a war we will win.
All that happened out of this for me is , I now know for certain I cannot afford a control surface like this ever again, even if I have the money for it.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdodgy View Post
I would happily pay avid, or anyone, to get my expanded procontrol working. I'm concerned that if I upgrade to D Command, which is pretty old already, how long until it is discontinued too?
The original blue D-Control and D-Command will be EOL'd in 17 months.

This begs the question, would anybody here purchase the currently selling 6 year old C|24? Unknown to any of us, it's EOL announcement could happen literally any day. In my opinion, this is the big conundrum with this type of business model and large monetary investment put forth by the end user. The longer the duration of time that passes from the initial release date, the less likely one would purchase the controller. This introduces a whole slew of issues in product revenue, marketing and even customer loyalty, as we are experiencing this first hand.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 08-03-2013, 09:50 PM

This is all very simple, Avid made a very "Conscious" methodical decision to "Intentionally" make are these controllers not work. It is simply cheaper to get them out of the market and force users to buy newer products, rather than offer less profitable upgrade plans that would "really" motivate users to upgrade.

I am a user of a pro control, also PTHD, but the good news for me, is I have no need to upgrade, so I personally wouldn't, even if it was an amazing deal.

Everything I have and use does all I need it too.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 08-03-2013, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post

This begs the question, would anybody here purchase the currently selling 6 year old C|24? Unknown to any of us, it's EOL announcement could happen literally any day.
Not a chance

Apogee Duet 2
Macbook pro i5 2.5GHZ, 10GB
Old 08-03-2013, 10:52 PM

Would be happy to pay to keep ProControl functionality in PT11.

C'mon Avid - sell off the code to a third party and let them write new drivers and charge us. No fader feels as good as PC faders, and I don't need much of the extra features of the D-Command (which is already old).

Please????

- Kent
Old 08-04-2013, 04:04 AM

One could argue that by upgrading to PT11 you would have already paid for the drivers!!
But to counter Avid's "resources cost" argument, the community of Control 24 and Pro Control loyal users (from the majority of posts) would be will to pay extra to get the drivers, which make the upgrade viable for us.

I'm still amazed that Avid seem to want to walk away from all this upgrade money. The shareholders who are seeing their investment fall must step in and tell the board to sort this. They can't afford to leave this much money on the table when the cost to take it is so relatively small, but are they willing to say sorry and correct the mistake? Maybe there is a large bit of ego in the decision and a bit of wanting to move on whatever the cost. Unfortunately doing what the customers need or want is zero, as far as us controller guys are concerned!!

Think again Avid, please!!

Cheers Scotsman
Old 08-04-2013, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoop2112 View Post
Would be happy to pay to keep ProControl functionality in PT11.

C'mon Avid - sell off the code to a third party and let them write new drivers and charge us. No fader feels as good as PC faders, and I don't need much of the extra features of the D-Command (which is already old).

Please????

- Kent
Exactly, I'll be willing to pay for the drivers !!!
Old 08-04-2013, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post

This begs the question, would anybody here purchase the currently selling 6 year old C|24? Unknown to any of us, it's EOL announcement could happen literally any day. In my opinion, this is the big conundrum with this type of business model and large monetary investment put forth by the end user. The longer the duration of time that passes from the initial release date, the less likely one would purchase the controller. This introduces a whole slew of issues in product revenue, marketing and even customer loyalty, as we are experiencing this first hand.

Shane
... it's EOL announcement could happen literally any day.

And, assuming Avid continues their current pattern, you would still get five more years of use out of it.

I tried to find an introduction date for the "blue" Icons and didn't come up with one in a quick Google search, but I did come up with this:

https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportun...=core&_cview=0

In short, the Federal government wants to buy a D-Control ES Bundle.

And as I had previously mentioned, when you sell something to the Federal government you have to guarantee that parts will be available for some number of years.

So EOL/EOS dates have some important legal and contractual implications when you're dealing with the 900 lb. gorilla (US gov).

Pop the hood on a blue Icon sometime and look at all of the chips that are in there. While those chips may have been the "latest and greatest" when the control surface was designed, there is a good possibility that you can't buy some of them anymore.

It is possible that Avid is nothing more than the bunch of money-grubbing SOB's that some here claim, and that EOL'ing the Control 24 is nothing more than a ploy to sell some of their newer products.

But for those of us who are familiar with how business works at the level Avid plays at, there are a whole lot of quite legitimate reasons why they might have EOL'ed the Control 24...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh