Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2015, 09:16 PM

Default Fast Track Solo - Can't get initial signal

Hello everyone. I checked the other threads on this topic and none seem to be the same as my issue. Some help would be greatly appreciated!

Summary:
I'm a lowly student trying to record into Pro Tools using my Fast Track Solo that I got from Avid for a project. I plugged in the Fast Track box into my computer with the USB chord that came with it, and the "power" light came on. After that, I have tried two different things to get signal, but they have fallen flat. Power light is on, but any audio signal I try to put into the box comes up with nothing. I have pro tools running, but the signal isn't even getting so far as the box. That was the TL;DR.

Exactly what l tried is below, but if anyone has any immediate suggestions or had a similar problem, please let me know how you fixed it!

Here are the methods I tried and why I think it's a problem with the box:

-With a brand new XLR cable and condenser mic (MXL2003A), I plugged the mic into the box with the XLR cable, turned on phantom power and turned up the gain all the way. Both the power button and the Phantom power lights came on. I scratched the mic a bit with my finger, and then played full blast into the mic. No signal, and the signal lights next to the XLR input never even flashed once!

-Then I tried a DI input where i just plugged in my instrument to the 1/4' input in the middle of the box. I turned up the gain all the way, played and got no signal lights from the Fast Track box at all. I tested that the DI cable was working with an amp before hand and it did.

All the gain knobs are all the way turned up, to the right and the power light is on.

Also, nothing shows up in my finder when I plug the Fast Track into the usb slot on my computer. So it might be an issue with my computer not even finding the box, but it is still giving it power and should at least be able to pick up the initial signal from the mic.

System Details
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)
OSX Yosemite
2.5 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
ntel Iris Pro 1536 MB
Old 05-09-2015, 07:20 AM

Default Re: Fast Track Solo - Can't get initial signal

From what your system looks like it does not appear that your version is officially supported on Yosemite at this time... https://www.avid.com/US/products/Fas...ort#tech-specs

Litehousemuzik
Audio Mixing Services
Old 05-09-2015, 07:22 AM

Have you checked your system preferences to see if the interface is showing up as and output/input device?

Have you checked that the playback engine is seeing the Fast track?

Please report back so I can look at some other solutions for you

I know what its like to be on a deadline for a school project and not being able to get it done...

Litehousemuzik
Audio Mixing Services
Old 05-09-2015, 07:47 AM

Without input enabled by software your Fast Track won't indicate any input signal.
Go to System Preferences ->Sound ->Input and check "Avid Fast Track Solo" (should be the last entry, scroll down to be sure if it displays). If it shows up you are good to go. By even opening the "Input" tab your hardware input should be armed so if you have a mic connected you should already see a signal (in the tab meter) and at the led indicater at you FTS if you scratch the mic.
To record just launch your recording program (Protools i assume? which version btw.?) and set the audio engine to fast track solo, aim the audio track and record stuff.
Avid Fast Track Solo
Old 05-09-2015, 08:23 AM

I tried both of your suggestions and it looks like I had to enable it in the sound preferences! I knew it would be simple, it always is with me!

Agreed Jbrown... Thank you so much for helping me get started this project.