Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2017, 04:37 AM

Default Re: Upgrade Options - Mac Pro 1,1 using HD9 , 192io and 3x PCIe HD Cards

Thanks for your input! I also tend to just run native sessions at 64 with pretty much any plugins I want and no one complains. This is at another studio with PT12 native, and a A+H GSRm24. I also do headphone mixes in the same way, I use pro tools send outputs per instrument which are patched to the headphone mixer so the artists can have their own mix (4 stereo, and 8 mono outputs IIRC).

However, with PT12 native there is a separate buffer for recording vs playback so even if the session is stacked, the record enabled track should be using the low buffer setting and the playback is on a higher buffer, if routed to a separate output (for instance, iZotope Ozone 7 on master fader 1-2, and using output 3-4 for the mic signal). Is this still the case with PT-HD? I would hope so!

I think i'm fairly sold on a single HDX or HD Native card doing the job we need at the studio. The plugin situation is a car crash, there seems to be all the waves stuff on the machine as TDM, so it's probably worth them WUP'ing that up to the current version if that's even an option from those such old versions. All my plugins that I use are on my own iLok so no problems there for me ha! But they can't really sell the studio as well with no plugins at all so there's gonna be a mass ilok-move to an ilok2 for the PT license, and whatever plugins they end up with. I envy them trying to find out all the username/password data for various plugin accounts!!!!

Probably a good plan to keep the old machine around and kicking and 'hot-swappable' (ish). and surrender any plugin licenses after it's up and running.

Anyway, thanks for all the input I really appreciate it. I'll tell them my findings and see what they fancy doing.

Hackintosh: MacOS Catalina, i7 6700k, 32GB RAM, RX580
Pro Tools Studio, RME RayDAT PCIe
http://www.liamgaughan.com
Old 06-12-2017, 09:13 AM

Default Re: Upgrade Options - Mac Pro 1,1 using HD9 , 192io and 3x PCIe HD Cards

Speaking of Waves....they no longer use iLok, but their current system using a small USB thumb-drive works quite well. The other good news is, since they don't offer TDM versions anymore, their prices are lower, plus they have regular sales with really great pricing(lots of great plugins for $29, $49, $79 or $99). Then, AudioDeluxe and dontcrack.com(private deal zone) sometimes beat Waves sale prices

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave