Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2017, 08:25 AM

Default Pro Tools Trial says Quicktime not installed, won't import Mp3

I recently downloaded the pro tools 11 trial to test out pro tools and get my feet wet with the software, before I make the decision on whether or not I want to buy it. I have to say this is discouraging as I can not find any solution to this no matter how much I search for one. Every time I try to import an mp3 file it says quicktime is not installed, the problem is, it is installed. I uninstalled quicktime and pro tools about 3 times and the problem still persists. Does anyone have an answer or solution to this?

*Sorry for the typo in the title. Meant to say Pro Tools.

Last edited by mikeytherapper; 08-09-2017 at 09:14 AM.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:48 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools Trial says Quicktime not installed, won't import Mp3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeytherapper View Post
I recently downloaded the pro tools 11 trial to test out pro tools and get my feet wet with the software, before I make the decision on whether or not I want to buy it. I have to say this is discouraging as I can not find any solution to this no matter how much I search for one. Every time I try to import an mp3 file it says quicktime is not installed, the problem is, it is installed. I uninstalled quicktime and pro tools about 3 times and the problem still persists. Does anyone have an answer or solution to this?

*Sorry for the typo in the title. Meant to say Pro Tools.
QT7 or QT10 .. which do you have installed ?? please provide more infromation on your system .. it will help us not guess what you are using ..

welcome john

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 08-09-2017, 02:07 PM

Quicktime 7.7.9, on a Windows Hp using Windows 7. Also I don't know if this will help but I tried opening quicktime and it said I needed Apple Support to use it.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:13 PM

Why don't you just find a little program that will convert the mp3 to a wave file. Then import that. I'm not a Windows guy, so I can't help you with any specific names... Pretty sure there's a Utility that is already on the computer that will do it. Real Player???

Steve
Old 08-10-2017, 03:03 AM

Install iTunes. It will also install Apple Application Support 32 and 64 bit. Then, if so inclined, you can uninstall iTunes (and Mobile Support and Apple Software Update) and leave the support packages and Quicktime installed. Then the Quicktime import should work fine after that.
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
Old 08-10-2017, 12:56 PM

I don't think iTunes installs QuickTime anymore - Apple said they are dumping QuickTime for Windows (it's a back door for viruses these days).

iTunes is still a useful app for converting from wav to aac etc.

VLC media player is another useful app for all sorts of format conversations (just be sure to add the file extension to the end of the new files name when executing a conversion).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-10-2017, 01:03 PM

Quicktime is a separate installer which the OP has already tried without also installing iTunes. You need to install both, then you can uninstall the pieces of iTunes (including itself) that you don't need. For security, turn off auto play in the browser tab of the QT Windows control panel.
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
Old 05-25-2020, 03:22 PM

That's not the point. How come I've donwloaded demo versions of Reaper, Studio One and Digital Performer today and they've imported a short Mp.4 movie in about three seconds with absolutely no bother, no warnings, no error messages.... just STRAIGHT IN. Why isn't Pro Tools like that. This is supposed to be THE industry standard and yet it can't import standard video files straight of the bat. That's NOT good enough. It's POOR. What is AVID's fascination with Quicktime anyway.... who the hell uses that these days. I have same problem, PT12 won't allow me to import an Mp.4 because it says Quicktime is not installed, BUT IT IS!!!! Now you know why I'm looking to change platforms after using Pro Tools for over 15 years. NOT GOOD ENOUGH!
Old 01-03-2021, 10:02 AM

I've been able to fix the issue by installing an older (7.6 to be exact) version of QuickTime, then the prompt from PT10 disappears and the desired functions work again (mp3 import, video...).
No iTunes needed!
Old 12-08-2021, 09:18 PM

Found this searching google. Doing the steps above didn't work for me, but I was able to fix this by installing Quicktime 7.79 then installing the newest PT- 2021.12. Not sure why mp3 import stopped working since it previously worked fine.