How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 01-17-2021, 04:38 PM

Default Pro-Tools / Rewire / Reason / Combinator

Hi

A strange new problem for me.

Using Reason 8, PT 12, Rewire - completed a track last week with this set up no problems.

Today - I am sending strings through a Combinator from Reason to PT

It plays in Pro-Tools as one would expect (I can hear and I can see the level meters at a decent halfway level). But as soon as I record, it goes almost to nothing and I only get a trigger. So no sustain for strings and almost no volume.

I put a click track in Reason and that came through and recorded as normal (no change to set up - it was triggering along with the strings)

So I then close everything and open Reason as stand alone. I record and I can play back in Reason and the strings are fine (incidentally, the levels looked previously in reason as though the Master was receiving everything before sending it to PT)

Now I open up PT and try to play back what I just recorded. Exactly the same problem.

Looking around Google I see a couple of questions raised on midi mapping when a Combinator is involved. If this is the only explanation (?) I have no idea of where to start to get all of the Reason signal out into PT. As I say, until I commit to actually recording the whole signal seems to be fully present in Reason (Master) and Pro-Tools (Instrument track)

I would be grateful for any constructive pointers !
Old 01-18-2021, 05:00 PM

Default Re: Pro-Tools / Rewire / Reason / Combinator

So an update on this. I observe the following behaviour :

- I can record in Reason during rewire. I cannot play it back when in rewire mode. When I start Reason as a standalone then I can play back the track.

- I can see the track (Audio track) meters and hear the live sound coming through Rewire. As soon as I record enable the track I can no longer hear (in fact there are some very faint trigger notes but virtually nothing) and the meters fall off. (I find though that a click track comes through and also, last week, drums. But no strings ....???)

- I can reroute the audio via a bus to a new track and record successfully on that track.

Up until now I have left the Reason tracks in Reason (mostly) and allowed to play through the open (but unrecorded) Pro Tools track. I did this just a few days ago. Now I would have to commit to a record in Pro Tools and not leave the track in Reason (you may argue that is bad practice and I should commit the track - probably I should but I am completely flummoxed by this weird behaviour in PT)

Just to confirm I set up PT first and then Reason and it acts as slave. And there is enough there to tell me that the signal is hitting PT. So why then does the sound disappear as soon as I record enable the PT track ?
Old 01-18-2021, 05:23 PM

Rewire track routing.
And Check Tempos also
or Bounce out track in stand alone Reason - Import into Pro Tools (With Midi)

Rewire no longer in use with modern versions 2021 and above (since v2020.9)
Rewire in linked mode Host is MIDI out to rewire and only audio in to host.
Old 01-19-2021, 06:24 AM

Thanks. I can make it work through rewiring to an Aux and then bussing to an Audio track but it is a complete pain and makes no logical sense, given previous experience.

Experimented with two tracks, both with a rewired Reason insert.

Track A (R + PT)
Track B (R + PT)

So :
A/R fine in standalone, Reason records
A/R and A/PT rewired, can hear. But when Record enabled can only hear clicks/triggers
A/R and A/PT can record providing Aux is bussed to new Audio track

A/PT with B/R - works fine as expected, can add new instruments and no need for a bussed recorded track

B/PT with B/R - works fine. recorded a few days ago. Was only drums but I added some strings as a test and all ok

B/R with A/PT - same problems as A:A.

PT has identical track set up for both. L/R input channels on rewire.

I can only conclude that somehow there is a bug in the A/PT file that is not rewiring properly ? I have also deleted and set up new tracks to see if the bug was in the track or elsewhere. I can't see any other explanation