Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2021, 03:05 PM

Default Frustrated with PT 2020 Hangs/Freezes

Hey guys, I'm getting a lot of random beachballs with PT 2020.
I'm on 10.13.6, running a 2017 imac. 64 gb ram, 3.5ghz intel core i5. I've got my sessions on one Samsung T5, and my samples on another one.

On certain sessions (hard to predict) it'll hang on "restoring tracks". Sometimes it'll be a reverb aux, sometimes a delay aux, but if I remove the plugin it just hangs on a different plugin. Sometimes I'll try to create a new track and it'll freeze. Sometimes it'll freeze when importing session data.
Shift-opening sessions solves it, but then it'll freeze while trying to reactivate tracks.

I do a lot of production with big software instruments, including Komplete Ultimate, Spitfire Strings, Arturia V, etc. I get why it takes awhile to load, but why do I suddenly get stuck trying to make a new plain mono audio track?

I need troubleshooting strategies from some experts, because I've tried everything I know how to do. I'm well beyond trashing prefs lol, and I lost half a day of work to this today.
Old 04-06-2021, 03:24 PM

Default Re: Frustrated with PT 2020 Hangs/Freezes

I am not an expert on troubleshooting but to my mind comes up the following points:

- check every single plugin if it is the latest version

- remove all plugins from the system and try a pro tools start only with stock plugins

- put the plugins back - one after one (the long way) or by manufacture (the shorter way)

- the last and very long way - but most the best - clean fresh install of the whole system and just install the only needed apps for your music system.

Hope it helps or someone comes up with better ideas.

Niels

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Old 04-07-2021, 03:51 AM

Default Re: Frustrated with PT 2020 Hangs/Freezes

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstu View Post
- the last and very long way - but most the best - clean fresh install of the whole system and just install the only needed apps for your music system.
This is by far THE best way to get a stable system for PT. And if you do incremental backups as you go along, it's easy to roll back when something goes wrong.

Also, if you do the plugin troubleshoot, after checking with no other than Avid plugs and it works ok, you might try running with half of the 3rd party PIs and if that's ok, then try with only the other half and so on, until you narrow it down. I would also trash prefs between the tests. Plugin misbehavior is your best bet, I think.